Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Getting an old tank tested

mark_d

Jul 19, 2009
Just a quick question, I'm clearing out a load of old gear and I've got a couple of old 68/4500 tanks that are 5+ years out of test. I was going to give them away to a guy I know who's just getting started out and let him have them retested. Will there be any issue getting tanks that are that long out of test retested? Don't want to waste the guy's time if they're better off going in the bin.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Just a quick question, I'm clearing out a load of old gear and I've got a couple of old 68/4500 tanks that are 5+ years out of test. I was going to give them away to a guy I know who's just getting started out and let him have them retested. Will there be any issue getting tanks that are that long out of test retested? Don't want to waste the guy's time if they're better off going in the bin.
There should be no particular issue due to age as long as you don't have any worries that they are likely to fail. Viability depends on where they get them tested, how much it costs them and how long there is to the final date - however even if there is a short life then the cost of a test today is less than a new cylinder

mark_d

Jul 19, 2009
There should be no particular issue due to age as long as you don't have any worries that they are likely to fail. Viability depends on where they get them tested, how much it costs them and how long there is to the final date - however even if there is a short life then the cost of a test today is less than a new cylinder
Thanks for the quick reply mate. They were always used with covers so they're in great condition, I don't think they'd be likely to fail. My only concern was them being out of test for so long.

mark_d

Jul 19, 2009
kinda implies the tanks are +10 years old already...the tanks only have a 15 year lifespan so check the death date before deciding wether its worth it
Good point, I hadn't thought about that. I think they should still have a few years left in them, but I'll have a look to be sure.

mark_d

Jul 19, 2009
Had a look and their born on dates are 2005 and 2006, so a few years left in them yet it seems

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Had a look and their born on dates are 2005 and 2006, so a few years left in them yet it seems
They will be good (once tested) to 2020 & 2021

I estimate lifetime value / cost at £150 new and 2 tests at £25 - £200 over 15 years, or £13.33 per year
So (after testing) pretty much roughly 'worth' about £50 for the older one with 4 years left, and about £65 for the newer one (then adjust up/down for second hand market forces)

If you are just giving them to him then he may get lucky on price arranged through a local dive centre for £15 to £25
Worst case prices I think are about £40 £50

You'll be doing a good deed and making a happy new player