Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Getting Serious

Mar 16, 2012
Erm.....Well I can't name one because that was my point !! Clinics are step 1 and then a designated coach, again the likes of Paul is part 2.
The nuts and bolts of it is, in my opinion, the UK hasn't got a coach yet that can coach to the same degree as Paul or someone of a similar standard. If there was someone qualified to coach to this standard then they have to want to do it as well, giving up weekends, travelling etc which is a whole different issue.

Sorry i didn't read your post, was purely replying to "plenty'o'toole's" comment on my original post, but 100% yes- it seems all the top US teams have non player coaches (paul TBD, jason heat, todd infamous, RL max etc, dynasty did have mike, now rusty, ironmen skinny kevin- the list goes on) all these guys played at the top of the game at one time..

The problem in question is as you say, there are a lack of this calibre of coaches. its a massive sacrifice of time and effort as you also stated, there is a distinct lack of people "qualified" that are still around/ interested in performing such a role.. how many ex pro players are there around willing to give up the time and money to coach a top 5 UK team? there aren't any UK teams (with the possible exception of nexus) that have the money to pay a full time non player coach i wouldn't have thought, and that being said its a lot of money for the coach in question to sacrifice as well, travel and hotels for at least 4 events in Europe, and training maybe 35-40 weekends of the year? i guess i'm just reiterating what you have said, but I cant see any UK teams paying for an american coach any time soon.

the non player coaches on aforementioned top UK teams take more of an organisational role; which while much needed, once the players step through the netting, they are on their own..

so in the mean time, how can we step up?

Last edited:

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
I tell you what then, I wil do a free clinic at the CPPS and one at Bricketwood and see what response we get, players will have to pay the normal green fee, but they can bring there own paint, so I will send the CPPS a email now to let him know and just make sure its ok and I will see Yorkie on Sunday and ask him also

It will be interesting to see what the response will be like, but even if I only get 5 players I will still come up from down south to the CPPS
Did you manage to speak to Yorkie Twizz? I'd happily attend a clinic of yours at Bricketwood.

I also know that Jason Wheeler is doing a clinic at Bricketwood on the 27th of this month which I would love to go to if it wasn't for work commitments...

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
not that it can't be overcome, but demographics plays a big part in creating talented coaches and players i think. the reality is, the population of America outnumbers us 5:1, and on top of that the US PSP series is the pinnacle of paintball. so to think that this season the PSP had 12 pro teams, then relatively speaking we aren't doing bad at all on our tiny little island by coming up with the 2 pro teams nexus and disruption. As always, there is much room for improvement and quality coaches would definitely help!

Gran

London Nexus #32
Sep 3, 2006
What happens when you get to the event? What the UK lacks is a coach that can read games (talking x ball here) and make real time changes during games to counter teams. My point is your x ball team may have a decent level of skill maybe even better than your opposition but if the other guys have a smart coach who can call plays to counter you in terms of laning and breakouts then my money will be on them. How many times do we see teams with big point leads turn matches around? Is it because the players suddenly get better? Nope, it's because someone from the outside who is smart and can read games instigates changes to how they play and where to shoot off the break. The ability to adapt and to adapt quick enough.
Nailed this whole thread in 6 lines.

The UK doesn't have anybody, it's as black and white as that.

Paul Richards is the man when it comes to lines, plays etc, without his clinic at CFP we wouldn't have taken 4th at WC in 2010.

But... I think teams would only benefit from a clinic with the likes of Paul if it was on a specific layout of an up coming Millennium. If you're looking for somebody to tell you how to run and gun, snap shoot, break shoot etc then there are a handful of players in the UK who would show you the correct way and be willing to give you pointers to work on for free.

The trouble I've seen over the past few years is people with no clue giving newer players the wrong advice, which obviously has a knock on.

Another thing I personally think is a problem with UK teams is that they play out of their depth.
Everybody wants to play at the highest level they can, but there must be a point when reality has to kick in and you see that the only consistent result you're getting is not making it past your prelim group.

Reactions: sean_baller1989

StubbsPKS

Din Eidyn
Sep 21, 2011
Edinburgh
www.DinEidynPaintball.com
not that it can't be overcome, but demographics plays a big part in creating talented coaches and players i think. the reality is, the population of America outnumbers us 5:1, and on top of that the US PSP series is the pinnacle of paintball. so to think that this season the PSP had 12 pro teams, then relatively speaking we aren't doing bad at all on our tiny little island by coming up with the 2 pro teams nexus and disruption. As always, there is much room for improvement and quality coaches would definitely help!
Not only is the population bigger, but a larger portion of the US population has begun to accept paintball as a sport. It's been featured on ESPN many times in the past few years.

The UK is starting to look more seriously at paintball as a sport, but a majority of the people I speak to still look at me funny when I say I'm headed to paintball training. We need to change the mentality that paintball is just running around in the woods on your birthday and stag night if we want the top teams to have a larger pool of talent to choose from.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Fisz

Ka mate!
Jun 10, 2006
Paul Richards is the man when it comes to lines, plays etc, without his clinic at CFP we wouldn't have taken 4th at WC in 2010.

But... I think teams would only benefit from a clinic with the likes of Paul if it was on a specific layout of an up coming Millennium. If you're looking for somebody to tell you how to run and gun, snap shoot, break shoot etc then there are a handful of players in the UK who would show you the correct way and be willing to give you pointers to work on for free.
Not necessarily. I know Paul has a clinic program prepped and ready to go which aims to teach players/captains/teams how to become better by emphasizing the philosophy and theory behind the work that needs to be done. His is not a program that's concentrating on individual player technique. Having a specific layout might be beneficial but he wouldn't want to teach you how to play that particular field, rather what you need to know in order to prepare yourself for playing any field.

Twizz ECI

London Tigers 2
Jan 8, 2003
Crawley
Most of the old players, once they finished playing they just got out of the game, just like that has already been said, it takes a lot of time to coach a team and of cause its very frustrating when players can't be bothered to train.

I will be doing a few training days which the 1st one being at Bricket wood during February, and I have already been in touch with Ainsley from the CPPS about doing one there once the site opens.

Paul Richards has sent me some details about costs and what he goes through so again we will be sorting something out and putting a date up, but again we will need deposits before we book him up because it will be me paying for his flight and hotel and then getting the money back!! As what usually happens is, people say how good it would be to get an American coach over here, but when it comes to paying deposits, people pull out

I think everyone knows I have always been committed for 26 years to try and do the best for UK ball, And will continue to do so.

If any team wants a training day or morning or whatever, I will be there for them, and like I have Said over the years there is no charge, all you have to do is ask

Twizz

Reactions: Stephen

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
Twizz ECI, I`m asking ?? if you can ,at our own site " Bearsville " I think It`s a bout time we had a Pro Trainer,
I Make No mistake here mate, That`s how you`ve always come across to me.
Please when you have time Pm me. . Bluey :- Teams > Care Bears.

Twizz ECI

London Tigers 2
Jan 8, 2003
Crawley
Twizz ECI, I`m asking ?? if you can ,at our own site " Bearsville " I think It`s a bout time we had a Pro Trainer,
I Make No mistake here mate, That`s how you`ve always come across to me.
Please when you have time Pm me. . Bluey :- Teams > Care Bears.
No problem mate, pm on its way