Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

GiMilsim Press Release

Phoenix

Oct 13, 2008
Kent
Oh, I agree that decicated scenario players are every bit as discerning as the tournament boys can be, but those are very few and very far in between. Most people that show up for big games and scenario days are still of the sh*ts and giggles variety.

In fact, I know of many players (including tournament boys that'll show up) that will go for the cheap stuff on days like that precisely because they expect to do nothing but hose all day. Accuracy through volume and all that.
Thats a fair point I agree with that.
I think it comes down to the fact that there is a difference between the dedicated secenario player and the rec-baller. Some of the scenario games are so big now you do get alot of rec-ballers turning up aswell and they do shoot cheap paint more often than not.
I agree whole heartedly with what Swampthing said I don't like the distinction between tourney and scenario either. I don't think its atall good for the game but thats how it is.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
People shouldn't get too hung up over the split between rec and tournament play.
There is overlap between the two, but there is also a marked difference between the two and people that refuse to play the "other side". The only thing they really have in common is that all use a gun to shoot paintballs. Other than that, they are totally different beasts.
Why people have such a problem with this split is totally beyond me. In fact, within these two camps there are splits as well. Take the tournament scene for example. There are those who treat it as a true sport and there are those who have a more of a fun and beer attitude to the game. The last group plays on a far more recreational level than the first one, so in essence you might refer to them as recplayers as well. Even though they might have a desire to win, they will not significantly change the way they live their lives to do so.
Other side of the fence sees the same thing. There are those in scenario ball that actually train and there are those that just own a gun and enjoy shooting it at their mates. But since most (if not all) rec play is based around some sort of scenario (could be simple, could be elaborate) it is actually pretty smart of Pete to refer to these people as scenario players. Because this term describes them better than recplayers, as the term recplayers says more about the commitment of the players in question, than it says about the sort of ball they play. Most tournament players play on a recreational level after all.

So let's not get hung up over semantics. Particularly since this is NOT what the original post was about.

The divide between tournament and scenario will always exist. They are totally different creatures. The only thing you should get upset over is if one considers itself to be better or more important than the other.

Dexter

old skool!
Nov 3, 2008
ok i cant speak for everyone but if you can carry more paint you are more likely to shoot more paint. meaning your spending more money. with .50 you have the potential to easily carry a case of paint with you onto the field. i know some people already carry entire cases on with them before now but with the .50 it becomes easy. for tourney play i dont think this will make much differance but for scenario/recball i belive this will increase peoples costs. who has been out in the woods and shot all the pods your carrying in one game because it got intence or you couldnt be bothered to move or you dropped a pod so you had use another?
but im happy enough to wait and see what happens :D

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
ok i cant speak for everyone but if you can carry more paint you are more likely to shoot more paint. meaning your spending more money. with .50 you have the potential to easily carry a case of paint with you onto the field. i know some people already carry entire cases on with them before now but with the .50 it becomes easy. for tourney play i dont think this will make much differance but for scenario/recball i belive this will increase peoples costs. who has been out in the woods and shot all the pods your carrying in one game because it got intence or you couldnt be bothered to move or you dropped a pod so you had use another?
but im happy enough to wait and see what happens :D
If you choose to carry over a case of paint with you that's your choice, and no-one elses fault how much money you spend. You could use the lighter ball to carry the same amount of paint, but more compactly.

It's like going to the Playboy mansion, I can go and look, and buy a few drinks for some ladies, and have some fun, relatively cheaply. But if I want to get 5 sluts into the jacuzzi with me for some sister-on-sister action, thats going to cost me a packet, even without having to supply the nose-candy for those greedy bitches...

Reiner

Rec Field Owner
The divide between tournament and scenario will always exist. They are totally different creatures. The only thing you should get upset over is if one considers itself to be better or more important than the other.
Agreed. Although I don't think we need to dwell over the differences or argue about which is better, I don't see a problem about talking about the differences.

From my experience as a seller of paint, the quality purchased is usually based on the seriousness of the player and what's at stake at the time.

We get a lot of pump players at our field, and in general they will buy higher quality paint. Why? Because they have one shot to get an elimination most of the time. There is more at stake for them in that one shot. This is probably a reason I haven't heard of any pump marker manufacturers making .50 cal versions or conversion kits. Pump players will choose a good .68 cal ball over a good .50 cal ball every time.

Renters/casual rec ballers buy the cheapest stuff, because for them it's just as much about crawling around and making their marker go "bang" as it is about eliminations.

Tournament players will get good paint on game days and cheaper paint on practice days. Not as much at stake on practice days. Will that mean tourney players will start using .50 cal on practice days and good .68 cal balls on game day? I guess if they want to practice missing they might consider that. Most will want to practice with a ball that has the same flight characteristics as what they are going to use when it counts (on game day).

Dexter

old skool!
Nov 3, 2008
If you choose to carry over a case of paint with you that's your choice, and no-one elses fault how much money you spend. You could use the lighter ball to carry the same amount of paint, but more compactly.

It's like going to the Playboy mansion, I can go and look, and buy a few drinks for some ladies, and have some fun, relatively cheaply. But if I want to get 5 sluts into the jacuzzi with me for some sister-on-sister action, thats going to cost me a packet, even without having to supply the nose-candy for those greedy bitches...
ahhh but give someone £100 and they will spend it, how many will put something aside for later?

Dexter

old skool!
Nov 3, 2008
it was just an example piper, it has to do with .50 and being a player of paintball. the money is the paintballs and the person is the player.

as a player it is a bad thing, yes you can say its your own fault if you shoot all your paint, but being able to carry everything in one go dosent help.

as a dealer this will be great as people will only have 2 choices, buy more or go home.

Swampthing

AKA-DAVE
Jul 28, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Buddha, player types and names to one side, I still have to agree with Oily on Pete's statement.

Piper, The 50cal tournament paint is heavier than the other lower grades, correct ?

That being the case, I would think a 50cal'd big game player would pay for the high end box considering it has a range advantage over the lighter/cheaper variety.