Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

gotta vent

Paco

dismember
Jul 26, 2001
stuck in S. Georgia
Visit site
OK I was slobbing around last night playing on the computer and watching TV simultaneously so as to stimulate my mind, when I saw and heard a paintball marker on the screen (the TV, not the computer). So, I sober up quick and notice that this cheesy game show , which I later found out was called "Manhunt", was another 'reality based' series where there's this small group of over built, testosterone filled, immature, commandos who hunt down the contestants of the show who's only goal is to survive their attack and make it to a safe zone. It was sort of a cross between American Gladiators and Survivor set in the rugged wilderness somewhere deep in the heart of the producers back yard.
Right, so here I was in disbelief that these people were running around with nothing but SUNGLASSES to protect their face. And to further piss me off, only the "commandos" had markers with which they could and did gun down the unarmed contestants. With mass exposure of paintball like this to the hundreds of people who were undoubtedly watching, how can we ever make a good name for our sport?
As a tournament player this hit a nerve because this is the image that all 50 of the shows viewers have of us paintballers now. We're all a bunch of dumb commando types who sneak around the woods and gun down the unarmed and innocent. I don't know, maybe I would have been less offended if they used water guns or cupcakes or something. Or maybe if the show was any good. But, this kind of stuff on TV followed by the stunt on "Jackass" and other shows just really bugs me. It totally changes the perception of the uneducated public and will set us back that much farther.
Sorry all, just had to vent.

QuikSilver

I've seen the previews for the same thing on some ****ty network. The worse thing, like you said, someone who has never heard of paintball or at least never been to/played a game is going to look at us like a bunch of camo covered gigantic gun toting 6000 balls on your back, losers. Which is a big downer, cuz paintball should be looked at like a kewl sports like Surfing or skating etc…because it is, tourney ball is just pimp.