Grey import mass orders

WingNut

UK Redskins
Oct 31, 2003
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
Totally agree with Beaker

I do....

Dunno how many of you guys actually run your own companies but I know that my family runs three such companies. Although, completely un-paintball related, it's still the same principle.

We're all going to have the 'Cowboys' as we, in my trade, call them. It's just life. We just don't have them peddling their wears on a mostly Advertisers Income site. After all, we don't pay a penny to use this forum. The money has to come from somewhere? Right??

It's getting harder & harder to make the targets each week/month/year. Rent has increased. The cost of living has increased. Taxes have increased. Wages, or shall I say profit, have almost stood still......

Yes, of course I'd like to pay £1 for every £3 worth of kit. Obviously..!!! But like it's been said before, these companies are our future. For a secure future you have to invest. Invest in these companies. I ONLY buy from LiPS. Why? Because they get me what I want, when I want, for a reasonable price. I'm not saying the the other stores aren't as good. It's just that I'm comfortable with the guys. They always give me good service.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
This is the jist of it.

If you want to cut out the uk shops and buy from the source (usa ect).

Don't sell it on here.

This is a market place, for the uk shops who help fund the forum, don't take the pi**.:)

phillips

bite me
May 21, 2006
As far away from you as possible
It's all down to personal values and the amount of disposable income. I look at it this way, I cannot justify buying ANY peice of paintball equipment brand new so I always scour the second hand market. If I did have the bankbalance to consistenty buy new products I would always look across the pond because no matter how I look at it, I want my money to go further.
I support myself and don't have the responsibility of supporting anyone else, or the industry.
However having said that if you think U.K prices are extortianate(sp?) , then buy second hand as I do, with a small amount of common sense you can get high quality gear for little price. This at least keeps the money between Brit ballers.

I don't necesserily believe that we should have to support the U.K PB shops, however I do think we should keep it in mind and the consiquences of not doing so.

Just my 2 pence :D

Demonic69

I Created a Mocka!!!
May 21, 2005
Barnsley, UK
Visit site
I think we're talking about grey and parallel imports.
Grey imports are not designed or approved for sale in the UK. Parallel imports are approved for sale in the UK and are identical to items sold in the UK.
Just pointing this out as someone is bound to use it as an excuse at some point. Both are bad for the PB economy.
I know we get shafted, it pisses me right off, but it's our darling Government that are screwing us, not the shops. If we, the people of the UK, had any collective testicles we'd have the nerve to stand up to them and get them to work on our terms.
Luckily for them we don't. So they can carry on living the high-life with their massive expense accounts, probably funded by screwing us on VAT and import duty.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
A little clarification...

I see a lot of people screaming bloody murder at some of the UK retailers, basically calling them thievin' gits who are ripping their customers off with inflated prices.

Let me tell you something about retail prices for paintball products in Europe.
For most brands there is one (sometimes two) European dealer. This guy does all the sales in Europe. Companies that buy from this dealer, pay different rates, depending on how much product they buy from the dealer, with the best rate being that for 'dealers' (basically a meaningless term, although sometimes it does grant exclusivity for a certain region, but usually it just means you buy more than others...)
The European dealers get their stuff straight from the US. The US companies set a certain dealer price and ship stuff over here. The costs of this shipping is paid for by the European dealers. I know what it costs to ship stuff internationally, it ain't cheap. It's safe to say that it's similar to a 3-5 Euro mark up per box of paint when shipping just inside Europe!
When the goodies arrive in Europe, there are import duties to be paid. Since in most countries paintball gear falls under the "WTF is this?" bracket, it may get charged with up to 14% import duties.

Now the goods sit in the dealer's warehouse. Shop X then calls the dealers and orders some stuff. They don't order anywhere near as much as the dealers do, which means that shipping becomes relatively more expensive per item (trust me on this). The shops, naturally pay for this shipping. The prices these shops pay include a mark up for the dealer, because the dealer would like to pay his rent too and be able to put food on the table. Often this mark up is nothing bizarre.
Once the items reach the stores, the shop also adds a little mark up, because they also need to pay rent and be able to eat as well.
In the end, with all the above taken into consideration, many shops pay a price for their gear that is not much lower (if at all) than what you may pay on some US sites. This is the sad truth.

How can these US sites be so cheap? Simple. Far less transport costs, no import duties, no middle dealers also taking money. And also rather important, most of these sites are run as a cottage industry. There is no huge warehouse, no shop, just a guy putting stuff in a box and shipping it. You place an order, he orders it, gets it within 48 hours, and sends it on. No staff, nothing.

Demonic69

I Created a Mocka!!!
May 21, 2005
Barnsley, UK
Visit site
As you seem well informed Mr Buddha what's your take on items manufactured in the UK? I understand that the tax is silly on the "Finished product" so it's cheaper to export, finish (anno) then import, or something like that. So it still works out that The Americans will pay less than us for something manufactured on our own soil.

(Also do you have any good leads on a Cardinals Jersey? ;))

extremelimo

Apr 12, 2004
South Wales
allstretchedout.co.uk
Two pennys worth

Right guys, when you are all queing up for sponsorship from UK companies, please go get it from the dealers in the USA you are supporting, when Dye,Planet and Lips pull their sponsorship from the Masters dont complain when you dont get £100 Dye vouchers or free paint,where the hell do you think all this comes from.When your at a tourney and theres a trade stand for you to pick up little pieces from and maybe try a new gun, do you think he goes for free, no he pays.When all the sponsors go lets see you see how good the game is, if you buy in the UK they support the UK. Look at Dyes comitment over here, does he support Nexus for the good of his heart, NO, he wants to win that way we buy his product. If we all imported Dye kit and sold it on here how long do you think Dye and Nexus would stay in the UK.
Okay if you want to buy stuff in the USA by all means do it(I Have) but dont put it on the forums just for profit, this is for ballers selling there own kit, not someone blaging customs and having a sideline.Put it another way the people selling new kit on here are they doing it to further the sport and make us all happy or making a profit. If they are making a profit, go get a booth get a van, pay the Masters and sell it legit, they can then pay for a banner, sponsor a couple of teams, do a bit of warranty work, train as a tech pay the tax and vat and then try and make a living.
Sorry its long winded but this has happened in my own market where people import and then when it goes wrong expect parts at cost and tech info from me, they all get the same answer phone the guy in the States Im sure he will come fix it
Mr Bling:mad:

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
so your saying all the websites that have dealer applications on are just basically for them to allow you to buy from a european dealer?

Could be a number of reasons.
If it's the site of a less well known manufacturer, they could really be looking for dealers.
They could also just be enticing people to buy their product (shops love being a "dealer").
Could be that they are on the look out for dealers for regions other than the ones they already have covered.

Don't forget, more dealers means more money for the manufacturer. Particularly since there is a minimum amount of business in order to get the dealer status.