The Home Of European Paintball

Gun Techs

Zorg

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2007
Staffordshire, England
www.void-online.net
Spot on.

It's about knowing how the markers work, how each part affects the others. It's not enough to just know that a certain o-ring cures "x" problem (anyone can read), you have to know why it cures it and what can be done to stop it failing.
Oh yeah, the site below is awesome if you want to know WHY certain o-rings create certain problems.

http://www.zdspb.com/tech/misc/animations.html

Like the animated image for the DM4+ shows exactly what each o-rings job is in the process, so if you have a problem you can understand it.

Zorg

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2007
Staffordshire, England
www.void-online.net
Email reply I received from Dye Europe. -_-

Thanks for your inquiry and your support.

Unfortunately DYE only run certified tech courses for our dealers and their
selected few, once a year.

Your best bet is to speak to one of our accredited dealers and techs to see
if they could help explain things at an event, or by spending some time in
store.
Guess I need to start my own paintball shop to get on the course.

Skeet

Platinum Member
This is basically a thread for anyone who would describe themselves as a paintball marker technician. I consider myself a computer technician, I'm employed as a network administrator and run various websites. So naturally when I took up paintball and got myself a DM5, the first thing I wanted to do was take it apart and see how it all worked.

I've fixed numerous problems with my DM5, upgraded parts of it. I read the manual a few times and versed myself with every bit of information about how Dye Matrixes work that I could find on paintball forums. I've stripped the marker, taken apart everything that comes apart on it and put it back together successfully. Now I've purchased a DM6 as well and started doing the same to that.

I understand the risks of this method of learning, but its a risk I accept. I'm just curious where I go from here?

Did you learn to be a technician by buying and selling guns and doing this to them, did you learn purley based on reading and theory or did you just go around and do this to other peoples guns? I really have nobody locally willing to teach me about guns, and the only courses that teach this sort of thing seem to be in the US. Could be an expensive learning curve if I have to buy every type of marker and learn about each.

At what point did you decide to call yourself a technician, after you ran out of markers to learn about, did you go on a course, did you get employed by a paintball company?
Dude...I have had a few different markers...but I have never had to own one, in order to be asked to fix one.

Read up on a few, but the easiest way, is to take a large tool box and a towel to your local site, and there will be queues of people coming up to you saying " 'S fooked mayt...can yarn fex et..dewd?"

"leave it with me!"

And, understanding the principles behind "how" markers work...will allow you to then take a marker you have never seen, and by deduction, suss roughly where the problem lies and tackle it.

The only stumbling block, is specific problems, that aren't found on other markers.

But these days...most markers are either Spool Valve, or Knock open jobbies...usually open bolt.

Oh and all markers are in breech of Smart Parts patents, whether they are or not.

JTD1993

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2007
Chatham, Medway, Kent, UK.
Is there a certain age requirement to do courses, such as the level 1 ego and etek course at planet? And how much is that one or do I have to send an email from somewhere else due to having sucha slow laptop, for.. reasons :D

Joe

P.S, wonder who the person you told to leave the gun with you was, on the first training day! :D (Although I knew only what was in the manual, not how a gun worked :))

jknight15

I piss nitroglycerin
Feb 3, 2007
Cardboard box alongside M53
Emailed planet to do a tech course on the Ego8 as I heard the last one for the 07 was really good.

Will make it much easier if mine or someones elses ego goes on the naff (if possible) and I'll be able to offer more advice then just 'Lube the regulator and rammer up then see how it goes' :D

balf

Mr Fantastico
May 20, 2006
Stealing Al's PC parts
is the course only available in manchester or is the course run somehwere down south as well as it's four hours away from where i live:(
I did five hours to Kent to do mine, quite yo' complaining, or fly :D

You at least get the traffic and what not at the beginning of the journey.

ps - Damn you Tom!