Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Has the Cocker now been eclipsed..?

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
I was chatting with a few walk-on players last Sunday, and one topic of conversation was cockers.

I'm not a big fan of the cocker, but it's stood the test of time as a high level marker.

As a new marker would anyone consider purchasing a cocker, or do you feel it's had it's day and should be consigned to the paintball hall of fame..?

Have paintball markers evolved to a level that the cocker can no longer compete at the high level it's used too..?

Silky

-Relentless-
Aug 31, 2004
i had an impulse as my first marker, used it for 3 months, then got my hands on a nexus cocker and knew i had to have one, bought mine off dunny from nexus and it rips, love it to bits.

seeing the uk jags and nexus shooting ropes with thiers i cant see how they can be considered past prime. admittedly nexus are moving onto egos but the cockers served thier purpose.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Originally posted by Silky
admittedly nexus are moving onto egos but the cockers served thier purpose.
Exactly my point.

While the cocker was definitely a marker to be reckoned with, can it now keep up with the rest..?

OddJob

Photographer
Oct 28, 2004
North Essex
I personally wouldn't buy one any longer. I had a mech one as my first marker and managed to balls up the timing on it. Having something so sensitive on a marker is a scare for me, even if it just takes a knock in the kit bag. Used to be worried whenever I played with it incase I took a hit to the 3 way. Nice to get the angel out of the bag and go shooting straight away. (Touches wood!)

martin

am member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
not a chance

thats kind of like saying is the angel past it? The cocker will just keep on going i have never been happer than when i have been shooting one. Before and after we got sponsored from eclipse!
so no it will be around a fair while ye just like the angel!

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Don't get me wrong guys, this is not a cheap dig at cockers. More a homage to a marker that did the job for years, but has possibly seen better days.
Has it evolved into it's final state, or is there some more magic that will be bestowed on this ageing milestone.

The fact is the majority of people cannot pull the trigger faster than a cocker can actually shoot (or any marker for that matter). Yes they have funny bits at the front and they can be daunting to people that dont take the time to understand them, but they are fast, accurate and highly reliable. The electronic cocker is an excellent piece of kit and it would be a shame if it was consigned to the history books for the sake of a fashion fad.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
horses for courses. i personally used to shoot a mech left hand side feed cocker and loved it, but i would not buy one now. too many moving bits to get damaged/broken/jammed. and they are a complicated thing.

still good for rec and scenario ballers but not so much now for tourney methinks.