Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Heart Condition

Spice

Jun 16, 2009
Hey guys,
I recently been diognosed with a Heart condition that effects my Left Ventrical. The condition doesn't effect me physicly but I have to take Warfarin to thin my blood.

Can you still Paintball while taking this medication?

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

G

Gassy

Cannot see that would affect you playing.

Would be worth telling any event organiser though just incase you keel over then they at least have an idea you have a heart condition.

Swooop

Jul 8, 2001
Under the bed...
The best thing to do is to speak to your cardiologist. Mention the high impact and physical nature of playing a high pace sport and they should be able to advise you.

There may be a question over blood clotting due to the use warfarin, to this end bruising and lacerations may be more of a problem, again i would advise talking to your pharmacist or cardiologist on the specifics of your treatment.

I also expect that you would have a medical bracelet or necklace in cae the worst happens, since any heart condition would influence your treatment in an emergency.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
As above, taking any anticoagulant, will make you more susceptible to bruising and any hits that break the skin are likely to bleed more, it would probably be worth taking extra precautions with padding. A bounce vest*, arm and knee/shin pads, slide shorts and a neck protector may be all be a good idea along with a padded headband and or beanie/bounce cap.

If you doctor/cardiologist says it won't affect you physically then there is no reason why you should not be able to play as long as you are aware of the above and take sufficient precautions.

As Gassy stated, not a bad idea to inform the organiser (and the field ultimate) of your condition as a precaution.

If the medical experts think its OK then the rest is up to you!

*If you're playing rec or walkon games then you might consider a hoody too

The Comedian

Feb 27, 2009
East of Eden
Best to get medical advice from a Health Professional.

Don't forget, most people on here can't even spell, so asking them for medical advice is, shall we say, risky.

Spice

Jun 16, 2009
Yea I understand. I was hoping someone taking Warfarin would come accross the thread.

Thanks Guys

Durajim

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2009
Reading
I've been taking warfarin since I was 18 and will take it for the rest of my life, I bruise like crazy but my GP (who has been my GP since I was born) has said categorically that it isn't a problem and will only ever become a problem in later life when the insides of veins and arteries start to break down because of the use of warfarin, at this point internal bleeding becomes an issue.

The age at which it will become an issue is determined entirely by the age at which you have started taking warfarin, the dosage and how on top of keeping track of your INR and taking the correct dosage

My doctor was more concerned with protecting my chest wound from the operation and honestly didn't have a problem with me paintballing

Edit - You should have a card that says you're on anticoagulant therapy in your wallet or something, it's important to keep that with you at all times

Spice

Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for that. I haven't been taking them for a year yet and only 27yo so its looking ok. I have a card in my wallet at all times.

I haven't had an OP so don't have to worry about getting hit on any chest wounds.

Best to speak to my GP just to get the all clear but it looks like it should be OK to paintball :D. Been wanting to do it for years.

Thanks

Durajim

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2009
Reading
Thanks for that. I haven't been taking them for a year yet and only 27yo so its looking ok. I have a card in my wallet at all times.

I haven't had an OP so don't have to worry about getting hit on any chest wounds.

Best to speak to my GP just to get the all clear but it looks like it should be OK to paintball :D. Been wanting to do it for years.

Thanks
Aye, it's always best to go and talk to your GP, every case (inevitably) is different, but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, I'm in the worst case category when it comes to dosage, it's why I bruise so badly (my paintball bruises last for upwards of six months and cuts stay as blemishes for years!). If I can do it, I'm sure anyone can :)