Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

help me out with barrels here, m8´s! (long)

Mexx

Jan 5, 2002
Wicked SWEDEN!
Visit site
I have the impression, that if would get my hands on a, lets say, 12" barrel made from aluminum and the exact same barrel, but made in Stainless steel, that the steel barrel would shoot longer and straighter, if i would use it on the same day, under the same conditions and with the same paint and marker, true?

if true, what are the downsides with steel barrels and aluminum, others then that steel barrels weights some more and that they get cold fast?

Has the type off barrel any impact on hows much gas my marker uses for each shot?

Has the 2-split barrel with wider front any scientific proof that it has:

A) self-cleaning abilities?

B) that the ball needs those extra room to expand to its "circular" shape, as some manufacturs claim that they need?

C) better accuracy?

D) noise reduction?

I also have the impression that some barrels makes more noise then others, true? is this based on the porting or something?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cheers lads!

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
To answer the last part first:

A. Usually not, in fact it's often not self cleaning at all but rendered totally inaccurate until the broken paint is squeegeed out. A single piece, straight bored barrel is far better in this regard.

B. Nonsense. If a paintball is deforming badly enough to actually need to reshape itself after being shot, for heaven's sake use a lower operating pressure.

C. Sometimes. Some 2 piece barrels do indeed shoot better than a lot of 1 pieces, but that depends on exactly which two barrels you're comparing, and how well the paint you're shooting fits each.

D. Usually yes, but that depends on the two barrels being compared, again. Quietness is a good thing sometimes, but it should not be an overriding priority over cleaning properties, accuracy, gas efficiency, balance, and price.

The facts that 2 piece barrels generally cost more, are harder to clean, can be imperfectly aligned (rare cases, but it happens) and sadly are inviting to theft (because they're expensive, so many people have them and unless it's anodized in an unusual way can be extremely difficult to identify as being stolen, and can be resold with few questions asked) all balance out their benefits. It's a calculated decision because although you pay more for them, they're really not all roses when you think about it.

Stainless steel barrels look cool and can match with any gun. They don't nick or scratch easily. However, there really isn't any conclusive proof that they shoot better or worse than aluminum. If they did, there would be far fewer aluminum barrels out there. Type of barrel impacting gas efficiency isn't a question of barrel material, but paint to bore size fit, length, and porting. Basically 8 inches of non ported, consistent internal diameter that fits snugly but not too tightly around the ball will sufficiently accelerate it at around 400 psi (I'm guessing that because that's what the Automag and its offspring run at, and it was AGD's test that states this) to around the target velocity of 280-300 fps, beyond which point no significant gains in velocity are made. A slightly higher operating pressure needs slightly less length to achieve this; a lower operating pressure needs a little more. After this 8 inches, the rest of the barrel is more or less free for use for porting to relieve excess pressure in front of and behind the ball, dissipate noise, and allow for some kind of transition from the constrained environment of the barrel to that of the outside air. (Yes this is the Crownpoint theory, again from AGD, who have carried out more scientific testing of paintball principles than anyone else and have yet to be EVER, yes EVER, disproven in fact or method.)

Geez I hope I'm not getting too textbook.......