Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Homebrew Magfed Automag

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Having seen the 'Menace' magwell prototype that Stark pursuit designed for the Phantom, I thought I'd have a bash at doing something for my old .68 Automag. Only challenge was that it needed to be a zero cost project, so was limited to the contents of my shed. :)

First thoughts were to get either a sheet of aluminium or acrylic and bend it into a suitable shape - but lack of materials scuppered that one. While hunting for something of suitable dimensions I found an airsoft Herra Arms carbine kit which had been part of an aborted TiPX conversion - the inside of the body was roughly the right 1" x 2" dimensions, so out came the tools and the bodging began. Sadly no in-progress pics, just some of the end result.....warning, it ain't pretty.

I cut a suitable chunk out of the carbine kit, then removed all the interior braces etc. For the feed I decided to sandwich a 90 degree plumbing elbow between two wood blocks and have it friction fit onto the feedneck. To release the zetamag detent I used a headless screw protruding from the front woodblock.

Major problem was stability - feedneck friction alone wouldn't hold the entire setup stable, to I added a shaped support underneath the front block that rests on the automag body and then bungee corded the whole affair to hold it in place. Also used a load of 2-part epoxy putty to secure the 90 degree elbow within the magwell.

Spent ages trying to work out a mag release mechanism, but eventually decided to just go for a friction fit - which works fine as the mag is horizontal. Added a ramp on the entry to the magwell to make things nice and snug.

It doesn't require any mods to the Automag itself, I just removed the collar from the clamping feedneck on the ULE body. I'm calling this the Mosquito, as like the WW2 fighterbomber, there's a lot of wood inside it :D

Does it work? Erm, well kind of. It's very temperamental and feeds intermittently (mainly due to the dodgy job I did aligning the feed inside), but certainly shows that a generic magwell setup for normal guns is do-able - it just needs to be done by someone who isn't a hamfisted buffoon. :p