Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

how do YOU explain tourney paintball?

movingcanvass

couldn't stay away!
Jan 8, 2009
nottingham
Because I love me some paintball, I can't help but talk about it to all and sundry.
I come across the same kinda questions every time I speak to someone that knows nothing about paintball.
Such as "oh so you play in the woods" or "dress up like a commando and that yeah?"
And so on, I go on to explain that I don't play that kind of paintball and that I play tournament style pb where you play on an open field with inflatable bunkers.
I like to preach the word of paintball to everyone because I love the sport and the community and comeradery.

How do you explain your paintball?
(any useful suggestions will be taken by me and used in the future :))

VENOM

Never pay full price for late pizza
Nov 23, 2003
Ellesmereport
I just say imagine a bowling green with inflatable barriers and 5 men on each side and 3,2,1, go lol

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Right? Lol its hard to explain without it sounding daft
Pretty much bang on. I spent some time with an osteopath after hurting my back attempting to reinvigorate my basketball career after a 3 year hiatus. When I went to the osteo, he did a pretty long Q&A about what I do, but I just couldn't think of a suitable way to explain it paintball, so I just didn't bother!

When I've tried previously, I usually lead with "it's like a 5on5 capture the flag sorta thing where you play on a grass field with inflatable bunkers and essentially restart every time someone "captures" the flag..." That's all I got. After that, I just show them a video or like a minute of the PSP webcast!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Not hard to explain, there are a few styles of paintball:

Punter / rental games, mostly but not just confined to the woods.

Next there are regular players with their own gear, either playing in the same sites as punter/rental players at a 'walkon' or at big game events such as 'scenarios' accross the country with a theme

In addition to those is a competive sport style of paintball in an open sports field with inflatable barricades/defences.

Don't start explaining tourament play by first disassociating it from paintball in the woods. If you do so then you remove their perception of paintball and try to explain something that is totally different with no reference point.
Next consider whether they are interested in listening, say you play paintball, they respond that it's like playing in the woods with guns, you go deeply into explaining into how different it is but they aren't realy interested in what you did at the weekend, just making polite small talk

Alternately buy a copy of the new paintball magazine that's coming soon and show it to them

Reactions: wiggles01

outkastmike

CUMBRIA
Jan 26, 2004
Cumbria
facebook.com
I have worked at the same place for 21 years and played paintball for 23 years and i have never had the slightest intention of telling the 30+ people i work with that i play paintball,even when i was a hardcore tourny player and ate and slept paintball i had no interest in telling people what i did most sundays.

The very few times i have told people (and i mean very few) it's usually met with "Is that were you dress up as soldiers and play war" type of response so i kind of never mention it to save the wierd looks or comments.