Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How fast is 1.8mbps broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
As in is it worth having on my laptop or will it just frustrate the crap out of me.
I am sick of buying vouchers in hotels for a timed connection.

I will be honest and admit bits and bytes mean sod all to me, I would just like to know how quick 1.8 is or isn't if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Russ

Mod's, if this is the wrong place please put where you wish, but let me know:)

J@mes

If in doubt, flat out!
Jul 11, 2006
Wakefield, West Yorks.
If your talking about the little Wireless 3g/vodafone/t-mobile things, they give a very good speed and pretty much the same as surfing off a wired connection. The only problem is the DL limit, usually only a gig or so. And soon as you go over your limit, be prepared to bend over.

1.8mbps is faster than i get at home, Im on 1.1 and thats quick enough to game on.

-James

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
If your talking about the little Wireless 3g/vodafone/t-mobile things, they give a very good speed and pretty much the same as surfing off a wired connection. The only problem is the DL limit, usually only a gig or so. And soon as you go over your limit, be prepared to bend over.

1.8mbps is faster than i get at home, Im on 1.1 and thats quick enough to game on.

-James
It's the one on Orange with a 3gb limit for £15 a month I will only be surfing and doing some emails so I think it should do.

Russ

B

boca

not enough wifi in our area for that yet ,its ok in central city but not enough service on outskirts

J@mes

If in doubt, flat out!
Jul 11, 2006
Wakefield, West Yorks.
not enough wifi in our area for that yet ,its ok in central city but not enough service on outskirts
The dongles dont use Wifi. You can get internet where ever you can get phone signal.

These thing will fade once WiMAX comes in with 30 mile hotspots :)

-James

Robeenio

Super Robeenio
Dec 4, 2002
Staying warm on a sunday!
Sorry to jump into the thread, but does anyone know of a reasonably priced one for use in Europe?
i work for t-mobile and without being biased we hold the best mobile broadband.
1.8mbps is shocking compared to what everyone else is offering russ so have a bit more of a shop around.
you are lookign at getting about 60-70kb per second on the downloads

meaning an average song is going to take you 5-6 minutes to download
an album... about 30-45 mins

we do 3.6mbps connection upgrading to 7.2 in july time
which gives you a nice steady 200ish kb (kilobytes) per second download.
and a massive upload speed

now we do a 3gb download policy for £15per month for 24months.
and T-mobile are the ONLY company out there that dont charge you if you go over the fair usage. if you are a repeat offencder then we just slow your internet down rather than charge you.

we also provide free use of our t-mobile hotspots when you subscribe, all you have to do is send a text from your modem to and it will then send you the log in details! WINNER!

now to answer which is the best for europe...
it all depends on how much you want to spend.
vodafone do a package which allows you to use data abroad for about £75 per month which is hella steep and only good if you are always out there.

my advice...get a pay as you go sim card thats enable for data and top it up £50 before you go away.
pop that in the modem and bobs your uncle.

Hawkins

Splash > All
Jul 8, 2007
Kent/Sevenoaks
Im with a company called bethere which is blimmin fast but it costs.... up to 24mb im a far distance from my local exchange and with high usage so i only get 13mb ish no limit on downloads and its £24 a month with a £20 instalation fee...

downloading from good severs and torrenting i can get 1.5mb/s which is fast ;) but theyll have to lay a new line which may take a few weeks and may not be avalible in your area, you can test this by going to www.bethere.co.uk

( yes its 1.5mb/s on a good download not 150kb/s ;) )

its fast enough for me to game on and someone else in the house to download at 800kb/s so theres never any lagg playing games or on the internet because someones d/l

Status
Not open for further replies.