Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How many supair events create their own layouts?

A.B

London E.C.I 2008 retired
Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
just reading the thread on the 'new' upgrade kit for supair fields and whilst I think it's great for sites and events to be able to recreate the millennium field and specific bunkers for pre event practice the financial penalty associated with the purchase of this kit got me wondering who actually still uses their own layouts?

Returning to paintball has reawoken some of the previous musings I used to have and I wonder how other players and site operators feel about it.

In my opinion too much of the same gets boring, I would welcome variety at events as well as replica fields prior to millenniums etc. I think there is a skill in reading a fresh unpracticed field in the morning rather than checking your well practiced lanes still exist.

Could it be the resurgence of woodland events such as the woodland masters is partly due to the lack of variety at sup air events?

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
I remember like 10 years ago, you'd rock up to a NPPL event and have to memorize 5-6 different field layouts, all using different bunkers. Depending on what company was sponsoring the field, NPPL/JT/Brass Eagle/etc, there would be a totally different game plan for every field.

That was a little too much.

I like the single layout for all fields for the main events and the local events right before the mains so you can practice a bit. Outside of that though, using the bunkers that fields have, I think it would be cool to get creative with them.

Maybe for example the winter series that Yorkie runs, he can go nutty and make his own layout for those. Or the SuperFives? Go crazy and be unique per event.

Totally agree that the hardest part of paintball in the past was getting 1-2 days to figure out game plans for that many fields. You have to be very, very good at reading angles, getting 1-2 plans per field and then move on.

A.B

Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
i think thats exactly it, there is scope for both and the more local events that maybe have other constraints to work to such as limited field sizes etc could create their own field layouts, maybe release them earlier as well to promote training at their own venues? i just think its a shame that there aren't as many 'creative' fields. i agree though that walking more than 2-3 different fields meant you gave a cursory glance over them more often than not

James ECI

UK Woodland Masters
Jul 31, 2007
Kent
Could it be the resurgence of woodland events such as the woodland masters is partly due to the lack of variety at sup air events?
This is Marcus from the Preds, he pretty much sums up why he and probably alot of other players have started playing again. - Jump to 1minute 57seconds

Reactions: H

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
... In my opinion too much of the same gets boring, I would welcome variety at events as well as replica fields prior to millenniums etc. I think there is a skill in reading a fresh unpracticed field in the morning rather than checking your well practiced lanes still exist.

In the last few years players have expected to sites to have an up-to-date Millennium field, regardless of whether they were going to play MS events or not, and to have the latest event layout up and running within 24hrs of it's release. Offer them an out of date field,a non MS field, or an alternative layout, and they would either piss and moan, or just stay away and patronise somewhere that did have such. (This also grew to an expectation of astroturf too,as most of the precious little prima donnas don't care too much for getting their feet wet, their kit dirty,or cleaning mud from their barrels after the inevitable core sample when their ambition exceeds their skill set!) If there was an extended gap between MS events, then a previous season's field may have been recycled, giving the chance for them to at least post an existing field plan for players to pour over.

As a result, this allowed site operators/event promoters to get lazy,and for Laurent to acquire a newer, better, more expensive Mercedes/yahct/girlfriend etc. Having layouts handed to them on a plate took the effort of designing a symmetrical layout of their own (something SupAir/MS have occasionally failed to get right first time). If the field played like dog poo, games ran overtime or paint consumption was excessive, hey, it wasn't their fault, it was down too the field designer.

In a way, this allowed players a more direct connection with the players and teams they aspired to,by playing on the exact same layout they felt more in the game when watching the webcast. And who knows, Nexus a generic "Pro" team (or players thereof) may even have shown up to the occasional Piddleshire league event at the behest of their sponsors,allowing Justin Agglett and his palls to wallow in the associated glory as they rubbed shoulders with and mimicked the moves of their heroes.

Gone were the days of laying out fields on Friday evening,of a Reading event as we often used to, pretty much by eye and making adjustments as necessary so that field walking was a necessary part of the pre-game regime.

However, with the rise of the CPPS as the major league in the UK, those teams and players who have aspirations to play MS (even NXL etc. now). can make the trek to Penkridge and rub shoulders with their heroes. There is the opportunity for more fun and maybe even quirky events to be held at local sites on non-standard layouts, and for those who would rather not stand on the start-gate only to sling a fist full of notes down the field at game-on.there is increasing opportunity to play well organised woodland events.

Hopefully,we can see more diversity creeping back in to paintball, and a narrowing of the gap between woodsballers and power rangers!

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Totally agree with Marcus' statement, I was there to hear it.

I loved the old days of turning up at an event and having to walk the fields and think on your feet. Part of the reason why I'll be playing competitive woodsball this year, although I do enjoy playing sup'air it become too much of a repetitive grind, there's just so many more variables in the woods.

cjsoftuk

Owner at Super5ives
Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
www.super5ives.com
If this is seriously something people want to see, I heard my series' name mentioned earlier in the thread and I'd be interested to look at entertaining that.

This coming year, it'd probably only be one event (likely the August one given my schedule), and while it might not be as wacky as some that have been seen before, if the upgrade kit contents count is true, then it looks like I've got rather a lot of "spare" bunkers to play with.

If people think there's merit in it, please give this post a like - and I'll have a quick look back in a week or so's time and we'll go from there.

A.B

Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
Chris I believe a series such as yours could certainly create its own layout. something that allows new plans to be formed and encourage the newer teams to learn the skill of reading a field, avoiding the 'I'm going to x and shooting left as that's what I did at xyz'

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Chris, IIRC Kitch started with a non-current field (Chris & Jim's) which, after various rat attacks, was augmented by my JT wedge field (or what was left of it) and then Rich's from the original CPPS,further updated by upgrade kit(s) to bring it to then current Millennium standards. In those early days,there were some interesting field designs. Again, IIRC,he used Ainsley & Nicky's Ant Apps Field Designer! However, the inevitable constant requests for an up-to-date MS field won in the end.

I hope that you can help to reverse this trend,August has traditionally been the odd field month as the MS were partying on said yacht ;)