Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How much does it cost to make 1 paintball

QuikSilver

Why is paint still so damn exspensive?

I bet if a big paint company like RP started selling paint for 1 cent a ball ($20 a case), it might pressure everyone esle to sell paint for just as little.

But I don't even know if it costs more than 1 cent for each ball... Does anyone know?

TheRo0sTer

VW's are the game
It is probably cheap as all ****! Let's put it this way from a Machinist stand point! The bodies on most of these High Priced markers cost little to nothing to make! For 10 feet of Aluminum the same dimensions required to make an Angel body cost less than $100. That is 10 feet of it! Takes maybe 12" for an Angel. Once WDP has gotten the set-up accomplished and all the bugs worked out of the program they are making a killing! So you know that the same thing applies in the paint industry! Why not sell it cheaper. What we need is a company to come along and do what you said! 1 cent a ball!:D

Micah

Year Average cost per ball *Average Cost per “day of play” % change
1982 30 to 50 CENTS !$!?&*$ $39.00 – 55.00 0
1985 25 CENTS !!!!$%&?@! $39.00 – 55.00 0
1988 10 – 12 cents per ball $39.00 – 55.00 0
1993 5 - 10 cents per ball $39.00 – 55.00 0
1997 ~ 4 cents per ball $39.00 – 55.00 0
2001 ~ 2 ­½ – 3 ½ cents per ball $39.00 – 55.00 0

So, retail Paintball prices, in general, are ONE TENTH of their prior cost from 19 years ago.

So yeah it still costs alot but you also have to think about all the people that go into the making, distribution, and advertising behind the paint. I'm surprized these compainies can even stay in the black. I know it's hell of expensive but at least we're not paying what people were paying back when Robbo had hair ...

-Micah

I know there are an awful lot of technical stuff that goes in to paintball production and the machines cost over a million pounds each before you have even made one paintball then allow for all the not right too soft too hard ect at the begining and end of a run.

Lets face it who wouldn't like the price to come down, but in this world you get what you pay for and quality matters, if you want to shoot straight not spend all day cleaning breaks in your hopper and barrel. Then lets not forget balls that constantly bounce not break, that take half your skin with them um and we all prefer them to be round too and pretty colours are good.;)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
One of the main reasons paintball equipment is relatively expensive is because of research and development.
Yeah , the materials used are sometimes dirt-cheap, but an awful lot of money is spend on R&D (you didn't think the Angel was designed after a night of beer and curry, did you). Also, there are a number of other 'fixed' costs (like rent), all of which have to be earned back from a relatively small market. Therefore all these things are expensive. Funny thing is, prices won't go down as long as the market doesn't grow a lot, and the market won't grow a lot, unless the prices come down (how does one retain one's underground status....).
Despite popular belief, most paintball companies are NOT making a killing. Because of the above mentioned reasons profit margins in paintball are quite low (I know this because I used to do sales at a distributor's), lower than any branch I have worked in.
Something that IS expensive is merchandise. Some of the caps that are being sold with a brand name embroidered on them are soooooooooooo stupendously expensive (this I know because I've had caps and tee shirts and so on made on several occasions). However, this understandable too, because people are willing to pay that kind of money for it, so it's a relatively easy way for these companies to make some easy money.
It's nothing that any other company outside of paintball wouldn't do.

So, to sum it all up, if you want the price of year gear and paint to come down, get everybody you know involved! If every player out there would get 5 people into the sport, that would seriously bring down the price of things. But that's just not likely to happen, because at the moment it's just too expensive to get started for some people.

Peace.