Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How the funk is darts a sport???

odins-sidekick

SPARTANS!!
May 15, 2011
manchester
BBC are showing coverage of darts but paintball isn't considered a sport!
I've had this discussion with my chefs at work and they see paintball as something stag dos and kids birthday parties are for, invited them to my local site to change there minds so we shall see.:).
But honestly how is darts a sport? Fat alcoholic throwing something at a wall, most city centres have that on a Friday night after the pubs shut.:)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
BBC are showing coverage of darts but paintball isn't considered a sport!
I've had this discussion with my chefs at work and they see paintball as something stag dos and kids birthday parties are for, invited them to my local site to change there minds so we shall see.:).
But honestly how is darts a sport? Fat alcoholic throwing something at a wall, most city centres have that on a Friday night after the pubs shut.:)
Because it meets criteria that Sport England recognise - paintball does not

Chris@warpedsports

Sep 3, 2012
warped hq
www.warpedgear.co.uk
Darts is Big because of massive investment in the last 15 years from SKY. they have changed the persona completely. I really enjoy watching the PDF darts now the level of skill of the top players is massive! there is huge money on offer for the winners and a lot of betting etc goes on. In short there is PROFIT in darts :)

Reactions: odins-sidekick

Bondage Bunny

Matt D
Sep 18, 2013
Stafford, UK
I completely agree @odins-sidekick that it is crazy Darts is considered a professional sport and Paintball isn't but...
Fat alcoholic throwing something at a wall
That's kinda harsh! Aha

Sports seem to rely on the average persons perception more than anything, when most people think of Darts yes they think pub game... however most people also know that Sky/BBC show darts competitions on the TV therefore it has a better perception when compared to paintballing. Most people just see Paintballing as a Stag Do/Birthday thing or think we are pretending to be soldiers or playing Call of Duty in real life. I could guarantee not a single one of my non paintballing friends or family would have a clue what the PSP, Millennium, Masters, UWL etc. even are. In my opinion until that changes we'll find it hard to be accepted as a sport unfortunately :(

Reactions: odins-sidekick

Harbinger

DO NOT DO AS I SAY / POST / JOKE ABOUT
Jan 14, 2014
The Royal County
It's a sport for Fat People, can't discriminate these days you know, Paintball can't be considered a sport firstly until everyone uses the exact same equipment and there is a level playing field where the only different is ability, will never ever happen.

Aracanid

Sep 20, 2012
Don't we need to reach a specific capacity of registered players to be considered a sport (at least for the intial acceptance, its much harder than that afterwards)? Its 1650 if I remember correctly. The equipment used and such is discussed after that stage and would most likely be agreed upon between Sport England and the UKPSF once the initial level has been reached?

Technically though darts is just as much a sport as any other. That's like saying why is the javelin considered a sport despite it being an Olympic one.

"""
Sport
noun
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"""

Edit: and I don't even like darts haha

Harbinger

DO NOT DO AS I SAY / POST / JOKE ABOUT
Jan 14, 2014
The Royal County
I think the point is Darts is just practice over exertion or skill, look at them all they do is sit in pubs drinking all day, hardly something to be promoting to the yoof in terms of sport, sport England would say gtfo I'm sure. Hardly the ideal training ground either.