Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How to be a good ref...

TruffleShuffle

Hey, You Guys!!!
Jan 14, 2008
One eyed Willy's place
HEY YOU GUYS

how about try and remember that the players are in fact paying customers and deserve respect, treat them the same way as you want the refs to treat you next time you play.

Jon C

Do you play with balls?
Feb 1, 2005
Whore house
www.ontargetpaintball.co.uk
we have no issue with the fact your a paying customer, but also vice versa were working and I wouldnt expect to work anywhere be abused and shouted at. You normally find that the majority of refs are polite you will always get the odd ref who looses his temper which with some of the grief i have seen and had thrown at me over the time you cant blamee them.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
HEY YOU GUYS

how about try and remember that the players are in fact paying customers and deserve respect, treat them the same way as you want the refs to treat you next time you play.
Paying customers or not
If you break the rules you get punished
It's more of a case of players treating refs with respect
Very rare it's a problem the other way round:p

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
treat them the same way as you want the refs to treat you next time you play.
You don't ref do you? :)

So, you mean treat them the way I'd love to be treated when I play?
Be bad at checking their hits, always listen when they call for paint checks, believe everyone who tells me it's bunker rub and 'I shot him first', and never, ever 1-4-1? Hmm, ok will do :rolleyes:

TruffleShuffle

Hey, You Guys!!!
Jan 14, 2008
One eyed Willy's place
You don't ref do you? :)

So, you mean treat them they way I'd love to be treated when I play?
Be bad at checking their hits, always listen when they call for paint checks, believe everyone who tells me it's bunker rub and 'I shot him first', and never, ever 1-4-1? Hmm, ok will do :rolleyes:
You are missing my point. I am talking about being consistent. Last two events I have been at I have seen fields that have had problems with marshals who are making basic gun checks in completely different ways, guns let onto field one but field two decides they are bouncing or running on which is a basic lack of consistancy.

I have even heard refs running a score on who can ban the most players or give the most one 4 ones in a day. Yes I have refereed, I know it’s not easy but at least the basics should be got right so that players are not going away feeling cheated after paying a large amount of money for a days play.

crazy-lacey

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2007
lincolnshire
You are missing my point. I am talking about being consistent. Last two events I have been at I have seen fields that have had problems with marshals who are making basic gun checks in completely different ways, guns let onto field one but field two decides they are bouncing or running on which is a basic lack of consistancy.

I have even heard refs running a score on who can ban the most players or give the most one 4 ones in a day. Yes I have refereed, I know it’s not easy but at least the basics should be got right so that players are not going away feeling cheated after paying a large amount of money for a days play.
to your first point it is two diffrent marshalls, so you cant really compare two diffrentr refs and say about consistancy.

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
I didn't miss your point because it wasn't written there to miss ;)

Aha! Consistency is something different altogether, and will only come when you have a dedicated team of refs who work together on a regular basis, who maybe have had some sort of training.
Bear in mind chrono/gun judges don't normally get training aside from 'on the job', and what they've picked up over the years themselves (you will only get consistency if the series or an organisation trains the refs all the same).

The rules offer some guidance.
16.05 Marker Checking Procedure
- Mechanical Bounce Test - Markers will be tested for mechanical bounce by a bumping
or jarring of the marker. Markers will be held by the rear of the main body and bumped
on the tank or hopper. No contact will be made with the trigger. The marker will be
deemed to have mechanical bounce if the marker fires during the bump test.
- Trigger Bounce Test – Markers will be tested for trigger bounce by firing the Marker
normally. The marker should only fire one ball per trigger pull. A marker which fires
more than one ball per trigger pull is not legal. The trigger must be pulled normally and
not flicked or pulled slowly as this is not normal. If on pulling the trigger the marker fires
more than one ball then the player should be given time to adjust the marker or change it
with a spare time permitting.
- “Runaway Guns” Test - All markers will be checked for “runaway” triggers. The
marker will be fired rapidly. The testing judge, while rapidly firing the marker will
suddenly cease to pull the trigger. Any marker that fires more than 1 additional shot after
the final trigger activation, with a maximum delay of 100 ms, will be deemed to be a
“Runaway Gun” and will not be allowed on the field.

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
The rules offer some guidance.
16.05 Marker Checking Procedure
- Mechanical Bounce Test - Markers will be tested for mechanical bounce by a bumping
or jarring of the marker. Markers will be held by the rear of the main body and bumped
on the tank or hopper. No contact will be made with the trigger. The marker will be
deemed to have mechanical bounce if the marker fires during the bump test.
With all respect Rosie that rule offers no guidance at all, one of our guys was a chrono ref for the Millennium Series in London and as per their directions carried out the tests as he assumed it should be with his years of experience and during a particular bump test the gun fired so he told the player unfortunately it had failed and he would have to replace the gun or go on without it! fair enough you would think, but then he was told he was hitting the gun's to hard! and he should hit them like you would hit a baby!
But I don't hit baby's was his reply.... :confused:

Rules should not be written with the possibility of grey areas appearing.

And lets not talk about the runaway gun test...........

Russ