Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

How to be a good ref...

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
With all respect Rosie that rule offers no guidance at all
No I know that's the point, it offers the very bare minimum, because there isn't anything else aside from your own experience.
But what could you do to make the rules tighter without training the refs? Each gun ref will be different, will hold the gun a different way, pull the trigger a different way, unless you have a gun testing machine which bumped the bottle with a measured force, you're always going to have inconsistencies because we're human.

I can't/don't want to chrono ref, because I know the rules but I don't know anything about guns aside from egos, don't know anything about cheater boards, how triggers are set up differently on guns, I would be bad at it, yet I get given the chance to do it every time I ref! That says something.

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Tips for refs?

Try not to fire off a whole hopper of paint just to check if the gun is a 'runaway gun'. At an event where only 3000psi is being supplied this is a little bit of a dent in your gas for the game.

Respect to the refs by the way. My experience so far is that despite a few mistakes (only human), best efforts are made.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Some clarification re bouncing guns

Rosie is quite right to state the Millennium rules, as I believe they offer a clear explanation of how to test for bounce and runaway guns.

My view is that we should look at gun checks like this as more of a safety issue rather than as a means of catching players out.

For example, if your trigger was set so lightly that it would go off like a chain gun when you make a dive and land awkwardly, you run the risk of shooting yourself (and perhaps a teammate) in the face, crotch or man-boob, with resulting pain and embarrassment.

I say this because when I dive, I fly through the air and land with all the grace of a large naan, and there is no telling where my gun might land - on a different field or in another county, who knows?

If you like this post, My name is Jonathan and you can find me on field 2.

If not, I'm Gilly and i'm on field 4.

:)

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
The "Runaway Gun" Test

Simply place your marker on the floor, then walk away.

Come back about ten minutes later.

If it's not there, it's a "runaway gun".

:)

YourMUM

1 4 all and all 4 1
Feb 25, 2005
devon
gilboys.co.uk
One for the players, learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
You think or wish :D

But if you know the rules better than a ref, Good on you. people like you only make us Look good on the field to be truthful.

Fun, You got to have fun and dedication, only been reffing 2 and a bit years and i get better every time.

and as far as cheating guns and boards and the like, well unless you do this full time and have the balls to back it up there is not a hole lot you can do. the FPS creeps are the 1s i look for and as a ref you get a FEEL for hot guns.

its a real shame we are all so thing on the ground. with out refs where wood the games be ????

Ahdinko

Team Apocalypse.
Jun 12, 2006
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Consistant training among refs is something I see as mandatory.

at UKM in February, I had one marshal threaten to pull me for leaving my fluffy stick on the floor mid-game.

I tried to correct him before going off on my mugging run, only for him to say he knew the rules better than I do, so I had to put my gun down, put my fluffy away, and then go off on my run.

Then in last weeks event, we had a guy come along as a pot bitch so he could see sup-air.
This was his first time even seeing sup-air paintball, but I think hes marshalled a few punter games in the woods.

He was approached and asked to marshal as he was not playing, but explained that he had never even seen sup-air and didn't know the rules.

If i remember correctly from what he said, they replied back with something like "so are you sure you don't want to?"

So yeah, the point I am making, is that if you want decent refs, you should spend training sessions beforehand with them, and make sure you have refs in reserve incase you are a few short on the day.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
You think or wish :D

But if you know the rules better than a ref, Good on you. people like you only make us Look good on the field to be truthful.
I reffed the UK Masters one season, and won Ref of the Tournament 6 times out of 8 events. In fact, I have won Ref of the Tournament at a tournament I wasn't reffing at.

Your turn.... :cool:

YourMUM

1 4 all and all 4 1
Feb 25, 2005
devon
gilboys.co.uk
I reffed the UK Masters one season, and won Ref of the Tournament 6 times out of 8 events. In fact, I have won Ref of the Tournament at a tournament I wasn't reffing at.Your turn.... :cool:

Good on you Bro, i'm am happy for your achievements Me ... i Just do My best :D