The Home Of European Paintball

How to fight cheating?

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
Hi,

Given the new season is starting in a few months and there is talk of a combined rule book for all major leagues. So I thought this might be a good point to ask what people think is the best way to tackle cheating. The way I see it is that for Paintball to ever get accepted as a true sport cheat has to be reduced to a minimum and those that do cheat are severly punished.

The idea I like the sound of best is the same as the one that was in Paintball 2 Xtreme i think it was a month or so back. Basically alot of the trouble comes with players talking to marshals asking for paint checks etc and using this time when they are busy to either wipe off a hit or to make a move to another bunker. Plus there is the bullying problem that is faced by many new marshals by aggressive players. That is why the idea proposes that the Players are never allowed to talk to or distract the Marshals except if they are injured or if there is a safty issue such as a stakes used to pin the bunkers coming out. Players can still call themselves out but other than that marshalls will pull you out if needed. This strategy does have problems such as more marshals would probably be needed to ensure that people are called out as quickly as possible say 8-10 marshals for a 7 man event and the marshals would need to be well versed in the rules to make quick accurate decisions. It would be difficult to get used to get I think it the long run this is definately a possibility.

Would be very interested to hear what everyone thinks or if they have any better ideas would be great to hear them.

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
Originally posted by cookie_834
experianced marshalls. only way to get them is to have newbie ones making mistakes :)
True but they could be slowly initiated only one newbies per field and start them off marshalling KOTH or something. But this method would also be less intimidating to start off with there is always a shortage of marshals and part of that could be because they don't want the abuse from players for making bad calls etc etc. This method cuts that whole problem out.

sumo89

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
LANDAN
www.myspace.com
i agree with the theory of this but what if teh martial does make a wrong call on purose. Its happened in the past and it will happen again, not very often but its there. I think the martials should have the power to stop talk back etc. but the player should also be allowed to challange the call once the match is over.

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
Those are very rare occasions and if an Ultimate caught a marshal deliberately making wrong calls then the marshal should be removed from the field.

If wrong calls are made which will happen occasionally as they do it football, rugby and most sports then you have to accept it. Errors should be pointed out by the Captain of the specific team and given to the Ultimate who if necessary will pass on information to the respective Marshal on how they might be able to improve.

johnmassive

Spitfire Factory
Sep 5, 2004
Ion Noob
Originally posted by john251282
The way I see it is that for Paintball to ever get accepted as a true sport cheat has to be reduced to a minimum and those that do cheat are severly punished.
Reducing cheating won't validate paintball as a sport. As far as I’m concerned wiping is to paintball as to what a foul is to football. Both players and spectators readily accept this as an occurrence; and in both games each is penalised accordingly.

Regardless of my opinion. Players not cheating isn’t enough of a requirement to validate something as a sport.