Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

I hope this is not true. Apparently a big company is in very serious trouble

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Isn't bankruptcy in US covered by chapters 7 and 11 in their act that deals with that kind of stuff? What's in chapter 13?
Ch13 is a major restructuring of the company and its financial assets usualy to pay off debts.

After more digging, it apears Ch13 is a way so that the owners (or individuals in the comapny) can have 3 years to pay off any debts without being chased for the money, this implies that if true, if SP filed for Ch13 they are much worse off than apears as the owners are looking for direct protection form their creditors.

JUNIOR BROWN

never ending grind
Oct 31, 2002
California
Visit site
This is not good for paintball... I had a call after the rumor hit the net from Darryl Trent and this is what he had to say.

http://www.ballerscafe.com/forum/national-paintball-news/41416-darryl-trent-smart-parts-talks-ballerscafe-smart-parts-closing-its-doors.html#post421168

I received a call from Darryl Trent regarding the Rumor of Smart Parts shutting its doors. This is what he had to say, more or less anyway. Smart Parts has had massive layoffs, a lot of people that have worked there for many years have lost their jobs. In spite of this, they are still open for business. They are still making products, taking and shipping orders. They are trying to ‘stop the bleeding’ so to speak. Unlike what has been previously reported, Darryl said that they do not have plans of closing. In this economy they are taking the steps they feel needed in order to stay open. No matter what your personal feelings are about the company, it would be bad for Paintball as a sport to have Smart Parts go under. It is bad for the economy to have these people laid off and out of work. And it is bad for these people that have been laid off and their families! Bottom line is that this is real. These are people with families that are affected, and our sport as a whole that is going to be hurt if we see these major manufacturers start going out of business.

I would like to thank Darryl for the call and wish them the best of luck.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think the guys from SP will be doing everything they can to salvage what they can from one of paintball's more enduring brand names.

Lord knows why people express surprise when things like this get rumoured because the state of the economy in the US, more specifically, the paintball economy, has every single company on its knees looking for options.

We have been a misguided sport, especially our industry side and none more so than SP.
I hope that last sentence isn't received as a criticism, it is an observation borne out of years of knowing the two brothers who own that company and what they have endeavoured to achieve.

Some of what they did wasn't too palatable but I wonder just how many of their most vociferous of critics wouldn't have done the self same thing were they in a similar place?
AS paintball matured, so did the processes we all had to go through and one of those was protecting intellectual and physical copyrights and patent issues.

And they were proved damned right to do what they did in terms of protecting their assets because within 3 or 4 years, every bastid out there was stealing other people's ideas ..... and with the Chinese and far east manufacturing revolution just kicking off in the far east back then, Billy and Adam could now well be viewed as 'astute' seeing as some of those far Eastern manufacturing houses have as much moral fortitude concerning patent rights as a snake writhing in sh!t.

SP put millions in trying to develop our sport in the way we all thought it would/should go and their investments came to little when focussing on the TV work they did with Dick Clark and latterly on their own. They had the bollocks to put all that money into developing our sport but ultimately lost out like a lot of people did because of a misplaced belief that paintball could be televised ........ sad but true!

I can't see this as the end, no way, certainly not of Billy and Adam in paintball, it's in their blood, just as it is in Dave Youngblood's, Bob Long's and Billy Ceranski's (Kee).

I personally, owe a lot to Billy and Adam for various reasons and I would feel pretty sick to the gut if they were to leave paintball....I haven't always agreed with them but they always treated me as a good friend (except when Adam got a strop on) and if this is true, it maybe ushers in a new era ... I fackin hope not.

I think SP had to downsize for sure, everybody had to, but maybe it wasn't enough .... I'll find out today and let you know if it's appropriate ..............well, unless one of this site's fine reporters/gossipers/news hounds gets to find out earlier :)

Twizz ECI

London Tigers 2
Jan 8, 2003
Crawley
cheap impulses all round maybe?
I don't think that's the greatest thing to say, what with people losing there jobs!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about smart parts, I have known Adam amd Billy for years and they are good guys, and so are there staff, so I hope things get back on track at some point.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
I don't think that's the greatest thing to say, what with people losing there jobs!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about smart parts, I have known Adam amd Billy for years and they are good guys, and so are there staff, so I hope things get back on track at some point.
Why not?

Lower price = more sold

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham

Actually this whole point has been bugging me?

People lost their jobs? So what? Join the que. Making comments about it isn't going to make it any better or worse. Its happened.

Distasteful? Nah, considering how many other thousands have also its part of life.