Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

I think you all better read this !

R

raehl

Re: Still tricky

Originally posted by Robbo
U won't see me arguing with that !!!
Hrm, wouldn't 100k out of 1.2 million be 5-10%? So you're agreeing less than 10% of paintball players in the US are interested in tournament paintball?

The reason I believe I'm right on this is I'm the President of an organization that deals directly with high school paintball clubs. If I had to take a guess, 60-70% of the players who get in touch with me play paintball in a "renegade" type format. They generally have chronos and safety proceedures and what not, but they play on private land with their own equipment and paint they've purchased online, at a local store, or god forbid, walmart. Keep in mind that that's 60-70% of players who read either paintball magazines or paintball websites, because that's the only way they'd know we exist. On top of that you've got all the back-woods players who don't read paintball sites and don't read paintball magazines who obviously arn't emailing me and don't give a crap about tournament paintball.

What you're not picking up on Robbo is that the US is MOSTLY rural areas. Areas with no paintball fields at all within 2 hours, but a bunch of private, unused land. You're arguing this from the European perspective where the nearest urban area is rarely more than an hour away, and that's just not the case over here. We have communities where kids are neatly divided into the "paintball" kids and the "drugs/alcohol" kids, since those are the only things to do when you live in bumblescrew and most people can't afford both.

The majority of paintball in the US is 10-17 year olds who think the flatline is the best thing since the semi who have never set foot on a tournament field because it never occurred to them that paintball was anything other than a game you play behind the barn with some stuff you bought at walmart. Just because you don't see them because they're not at fields doesn't mean they arn't there. SOMEONE has to buy all those Talons, or Brass Eagle wouldn't still be selling them.

So, back to the original issue, why is this important?

If we're going to be successful as a sport, we have to do a better job than snow boarding, mountain biking, etc, does at reaching these uninterested players. Yah, 100k people may be interested in tournament paintball now, and it's not a small number, but why not 500k? What to we have to do to reach these other potential spectators?

That's where we're being killed by our inability to reign in cheating and combat the cheating reputation so rec players don't hate pro players before they've even seen them, or to do things like schedule an event more than 3 months in advance. What if we scheduled the X Ball world championships for next November, then started putting in sweepstakes forms for 10 free trips to go watch the championships in all of the products of X Ball sponsors? So next time your renegade baller goes to walmart to buy his 500 rd jar of marbles, he finds out that there's an actual paintball championships, and he can win a trip to Florida or CA or Britain or wherever to see it? Throw in a few cases of paint just to make it interesting.

Gotta get people to start looking at the big picture.

- Chris

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
While we're waiting on Robbo here's what I think would make sense:

These nations and regions have shown us the best balling so far and in this order IMO:

UK - Shockwave, Nexus
Russia - Legion
France - Ton Tons
The Nordic Region - Joy, Ducklings, Hardcore, Ignition, Finns
Germany - Nations' Cup team
Portugal - Estratego

This, of course, leaves out major nations or regions such as Spain, Italy, Poland, Benelux and the other eastern countries.

This could be totally weird, but just to get thought going.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Still tricky

Originally posted by raehl
Hrm, wouldn't 100k out of 1.2 million be 5-10%? So you're agreeing less than 10% of paintball players in the US are interested in tournament paintball?
- Chris

Hmmm Chris, where exactly did I say I believed there to be 1.2 million serious ballers ?
I'm waiting.............................................

OK, I have waited long enough, actually I didn't say it as you may now know but that's not the reason I wrote what I did...And unfortunately TJ is the only one who can verify the reason why I wrote what I did and he won't be able to verify it....let's put it this way, it was said not to be literal but to be appear subservient with more than a touch of facetiousness, I can say no more but you will have to trust me on this one !!
Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Wadidiz
While we're waiting on Robbo here's what I think would make sense:
These nations and regions have shown us the best balling so far and in this order IMO:
UK - Shockwave, Nexus
Russia - Legion
France - Ton Tons
The Nordic Region - Joy, Ducklings, Hardcore, Ignition, Finns
Germany - Nations' Cup team
Portugal - Estratego
This, of course, leaves out major nations or regions such as Spain, Italy, Poland, Benelux and the other eastern countries.
This could be totally weird, but just to get thought going.

Don't forget Tigers from UK who are our highest ranked UK team at present though I hear they ain't all that bothered about X-Ball anyway.
France have Ton Tons, Enemy and possibly Camp.
Sweden have Joy and Hardcore..........
I don't believe that Portugal has any teams that would be eligible.
And so on........
But this is all academic because it all comes down to a team being incorporated and owned, teams being competitive and teams being financed to the point where they have the paint deals to be able to play and the resources to be able to come up with the franchise monies.

So we can all speculate all we like but the bottom line seems to be competitiveness and money and no half measures !!

And if anybody thinks it unfair that a certain country has no representation, then look at the American model with California having three teams, Dynasty, SC and Bob's Ironmen.
It's all a matter of who has the talent and the dough !!!!

Robbo

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Robbo ......

Originally posted by sykesg
...... sorry to change tact, who do you reckon the 6 Euro X-ball teams will be?
Hmm a tough one since I think the powers that be, have decided to offer the franchise agreements to all promoters which I just do not agree with in principle because it then means that promoters wear too many hats, one of the very problems that has dogged the PSP for so long.
I do believe that Laurent and Magued have a case but to hand out franchises, or at least offer them to people who have no successful teams already affiliated is complete folly in my book.
I think Ton Tons and Joy for sure and deservedly so, any more than that is open to speculation.

Robbo

R

raehl

Re: Re: Re: Still tricky

Originally posted by Robbo
Hmmm Chris, where exactly did I say I believed there to be 1.2 million serious ballers ?
I'm waiting.............................................
That would have been in the quote you responding to that you said you agreed with...

But yeah, I think this horse is waaaay dead and we should stop beating it, whether I trust you or not. ;)

- Chris

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Still tricky

Originally posted by raehl
That would have been in the quote you responding to that you said you agreed with...
But yeah, I think this horse is waaaay dead and we should stop beating it, whether I trust you or not. ;)
- Chris
Chris, just for your info, here is part of the quote from TJ you are referring to, Out of some 6 million participants in 2000, 1,172,000 played 15+ days a year...does that make them 'players'?

Now look back at what I wrote, 'Hmmm Chris, where exactly did I say I believed there to be 1.2 million serious ballers ?

You need me to spell it out for you ?
Did I say I agreed that the million or so players were serious ballers, even TJ is contending that for God's sake ?

But as you said, this subject is dead !!!!

Robbo
PS Next time trust me a little more and your powers of observation a little less :)

R

raehl

I'm sorry...

I didn't realize that the opinions of a Brit were supposed to be trusted over the reality of American paintball. ;)

So, yeah, how 'bout that new Super 7 league?

- Chris