The Home Of European Paintball

Import tax on new marker.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
You might be lucky... or they might bill you in a few weeks time :p
They don't work like that. It won't clear customs without going through the process.
Most things will be handled by the postal process and the carriers act on what declarations are made, what things look like as they go through and spot checking.

It went through unchecked, or someone looked at the declaration and passed it on.
No fees charged.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Hmmmmm the experience I had with FedEx when a Chinese company sent me an item, was it was delivered as normal. I then got a bill a week or so later stating I owe them £x in fees.

Weird... hope it swings in your favour tho :D
Bizarre, looks like FedEx have made a habit of that from Google - 'to avoid delays'
If its to avoid the delay then why not accompany it with the delivery as at least advice that you're getting billed?
Sounds very dodgy to me, and not a very clever business to pay some strangers bill and hope they will ay u later.
Most I can see online about it are people complaining about the FedEx fee on top of the duty as opposed to being billed after the event.

Hopefully this marker wasn't delivered by FedEx. If so put some money aside and/or be prepared to argue.

Last edited:

Jonny-M

BZ- EMME 07
Jan 27, 2012
Newcastle.
It was through USPS. Not UPS. Pretty swift delivery. I'll let ya'll know if anything comes through the door, although i do think its bad practice if they are paying the bill and then expecting the customer to reimburse them after.

Fingers crossed though. :)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
My experience with them was the same, if there were any charges I'd get a card, then have to either pay & collect, or pay online/by phone and then they'd deliver

It would still be a case of 'them paying customs for you' and you paying a fee for it
As you have received it then you should get no charges

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
its quite common to get the customs etc bill a few weeks later, what happens i believe is the importer pays the duty to get it thru customs then charges you later + their own handling/paperwork fee.
if you do get a bill and chances are you will id expect usually in the area of 25-30% on top of what the exporter put on the invoice. if you don't get the bill then you are in the minority. I would guess about one in 10 get thru with no fees (based on stuff i bought over the years from all over the world) although more expensive items (over £25) tend to get charged every time with smaller stuff such as a £4 phone charger from china getting past without (not worth the paper work maybe?)
watch out for exporters that offer to mark down the value of the goods, if customs open a box saying $50 on it and find a $1000 marker they will cease it without question and you may never see it if they are not happy when they start asking questions (i have never heard of it happen but potentially it can)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
its quite common to get the customs etc bill a few weeks later, what happens i believe is the importer pays the duty to get it thru customs then charges you later + their own handling/paperwork fee.
if you do get a bill and chances are you will id expect usually in the area of 25-30% on top of what the exporter put on the invoice. if you don't get the bill then you are in the minority. I would guess about one in 10 get thru with no fees (based on stuff i bought over the years from all over the world) although more expensive items (over £25) tend to get charged every time with smaller stuff such as a £4 phone charger from china getting past without (not worth the paper work maybe?)
watch out for exporters that offer to mark down the value of the goods, if customs open a box saying $50 on it and find a $1000 marker they will cease it without question and you may never see it if they are not happy when they start asking questions (i have never heard of it happen but potentially it can)
There are thresholds for the value of goods before duty is payable, details are on the HMRC website

There are a number of dodgy practices that people ask for or some sellers offer, eg making the customs declaration as a gift (which doesn't make it duty free, it increases the threshold), declaring items as commercial samples (fairly obvious when its sent to a private address, and this was/is a regular trick for pirate DVDs) or false valuations (not so clever when the true invoice is enclosed)
All of the above are known by HMRC and couriers and they look for them. The recipient is liable for false declarations and risks the goods being seized

For the courier noted he should have received a bill before the item was released. This thread is the first I have seen about fedexs strange dealings

Jonny-M

BZ- EMME 07
Jan 27, 2012
Newcastle.
Well still nothing yet. Everyone keeps saying its just luck whether they pick up on it or not.

The Courier was decent to be honest. Pretty fast delivery no problems. I've never heard of USPS before.