Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Importing from the US! HELP!

Spittlez

Nov 26, 2013
Hi all
I'm looking into importing a marker from the US. The marker is currently priced at $800 Around £540 by today's exchange rate.
What fees am I expected to pay when it hits the UK?
20% VAT, and duty charges?
Are there any things I can do to reduce the rate I pay when it get's into the UK. For example declaring a lower value.
I also believe you can pay the Tax in advance, so it'll sail through customs?
Any help is appreciated

The Artful Dodger

Dec 8, 2014
When you work out total cost see if a local company can compete.customer service is worth so much more than minimal savings

Spittlez

Nov 26, 2013
When you work out total cost see if a local company can compete.customer service is worth so much more than minimal savings
Thanks for the response.
The marker is question is a second hand one. So no companies would be willing to complete :(

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
It will either come through with no charges or be picked up for charges

If picked for charges then the import duty is 20%
The courier who delivers to you will charge a fee on top, somewhere between £8 and £20

20% is £108 so allow £130 including fees

However the customs valuation could be based on:
Value on the declaration
Value on the invoice inside (yes people do get fake declarations that are contradicted by the paperwork)
Value of an equivalent item in the UK

So the valuation may not be the price you paid for the sale

Spittlez

Nov 26, 2013
It will either come through with no charges or be picked up for charges

If picked for charges then the import duty is 20%
The courier who delivers to you will charge a fee on top, somewhere between £8 and £20

20% is £108 so allow £130 including fees

However the customs valuation could be based on:
Value on the declaration
Value on the invoice inside (yes people do get fake declarations that are contradicted by the paperwork)
Value of an equivalent item in the UK

So the valuation may not be the price you paid for the sale
Thanks for the reply Tommika.
Sounds like even if I was able to pay the Tax up front, customs might declare it as worth more and demand more money for it?

Narkadox

The Man With The Golden Gun
Jan 3, 2013
I ordered clothes from the US before Xmas and I paid the duty and handling charges at the post office when I collected the package.

When you import, most courriers will only deliver as far as their international depot in the US. From there it will be handled by Royal Mail once it enters the UK. I think the only exceptions are if you pay for international shipping with FedEx or UPS. From my experience Royal Mail are very thourough when it comes to processing import tax.