Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Impressions of Dartford

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
I know that Dave reads any and all comments on the D7s and takes them how they are intended - as constructive criticism rather than just whinging - and as you can see he's been working hard on improving the facilities at Dartford in line with the players feedback.

But do please bear one thing in mind - money! Remember that in February there was just a rough, bumpy, overgrown piece of scrub land at Dartford, now there's 3 (4 very soon) permanent playing fields, a staging area, toilets, admin area and so on. All this has cost Dave a very large amount of money to set up both in materials and people, money he's had to pay up front before a single person plays. Also bear in mind that the ground rent there (i.e. the amount Dave has to pay for each player at a tournament) is much higher than most tournament sites. By my (very rough) reckoning, by the end of the season Dave will be unlikely to have made enough over the whole series to have paid himself around minimum wage or less for the hours that he himself has put in over the year.

Of course he could pay the refs more & have more per field (provided they are available!), or pay travel and hotels to get the PA refs down, he could buy or rent fields with more bunkers rather than borrow ones from our very kind sponsors, he could supply more toilets, more general staff, increase the players staging area. But only at the cost of putting the entry fees up by quite a considerable sum. That would mean fewer teams being able to afford entry, and fewer teams would mean less income & "profits" and poorer competition, and so on. When the idea for the D7s first came up there were many hours of discussion on getting the balance right between facilities and entry fees - hopefully we got it just about right.

Also please bear in mind that I have no personal stakes in how much profit or loss the series makes, as I get paid the same amount whatever happen. I just get less people complaining to me when things go right, giving me an easier and more relaxed day :D

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
hey i think you're right on with the money thing Liz
the worst thing that could happen is for the series to go broke...
i think everyone is pretty aware how easy that can happen.

The bottom line is that the tournament simply dosn't have the cash flow that the Millennium series has, the teams don't pay anywhere near the same entry, and so we can't expect the same standard across the board.

It's a pretty amazing site, it's way better than anything else we've ever had, and i really think more teams need to get their act in gear (and us too ;)) and play more events like Dartford.

Again, thanks Dave, Kerian, and Liz for running the events, without folks like yourselves willing to put yourselves out, there wouldn't be an event in the south to play.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the next D7, (and Campaign Cup too... ;))

Marc0

IronWolf
Feb 18, 2004
Sleeping in Bracknell.
www.p8ntballer.com
I spoke to Dave today and personally thanked him for the OUTSTANDING efforts so far.

The next leg is filling up real quick which shows how the people who have played the series feel about the set up and quality of opposition.

We will be playing the next leg and probs ALL of the legs in the run up to the Campaign Cup.

So big ups to Dave, Kieran and Liz plus all the other un-named support staff.

Keep it up ( fnar fnar )

Later

:)

WingNut

UK Redskins
Oct 31, 2003
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
Originally posted by Liz
Of course he could pay the refs more & have more per field (provided they are available!), or pay travel and hotels to get the PA refs down, he could buy or rent fields with more bunkers rather than borrow ones from our very kind sponsors, he could supply more toilets, more general staff, increase the players staging area. But only at the cost of putting the entry fees up by quite a considerable sum.
So long as the final outcome is worth it, I personally, have no problem in paying another £5 to accomodate such necessary steps........

This would generate like £1200 more revenue, provided that it was ALL spent on what we are discussing.

Interest is increasing in the series with more teams attending and signing up early for each leg.

I personally, don't care how much it is AS LONG AS IT'S WORTH IT.

Remember chappies and chappets, 'You Only Get What You Pay For' is this life. Pay cheap and you'll get cheap.

ez-rhino

Free the Bracknell 7
Oct 14, 2002
Berkshire, UK
D7 Marshalling

To everyone who posted on this thread regarding ideas and improvements for the marshalling- thank you, it is appreciated and personally I will try and take comments on board.

Numbers of marshals did hurt us and it would have been nice to have another couple of marshals per field. I only stepped in at the last minute as I'd heard D7's was running short.

I had a great day down thee on Field 1. To the marshals on my field that I didn't get the opportunity to thank - I'm doing it now. I know some of you were not that experienced, but you gave it your all and workied to improve on identified problems as the day progressed.

As for the teams down there, a big thank you to you. Those that had problems on the field at least had the courtesy to talk to me at the end of the game so we could try to avoid replicating those errors later in the day. I know there were lots of opportunities for players to take the p**s so thank you (to 95% of you) fornot doing it.

As for the money side of things, £50 is fine for tournament marashalling (personally). I marshall because I enjoy it, I don't have any costs as such so thats fine.

As for shields, marshalls can spend more time worrying about the shield than actually getting on with the job so I prefer to do the ob without (and yes I did get the s**t shot out of me)

Big thanks to everyone

Darren
Ultimate Field 1

The Mighty Dwarf

paintball whore
Nov 10, 2002
UK hertfordshire
www.walkonzone.com
I have already had my say but,

1,You all have to agree this tournament is well located.
2, Is getting better with regard to all aspects , chrono area, dead boxes etc, staging area.

3, Trophies are great
4, Quality of teams are awesome.
5, Promoter and company know what they are doing and are constantly improving things.

I also bet Dave is looking at placing a 4th field thus quicker times during games.

Also he is starting a 5 man as well

Team Zone are behind you all the way

jinx76

i'm with ure mom
Jun 16, 2003
sheep land
www.nolimitpainball.co.uk
D7 Marshalling

As for shields, marshalls can spend more time worrying about the shield than actually getting on with the job so I prefer to do the ob without (and yes I did get the s**t shot out of me)

Big thanks to everyone

Darren
Ultimate Field 1 [/B]

i disagree there are many different ways to marshall and no definitive style is best for instance:

people who lay down marshalling if there is enough marshalls on a field then it can help but nine out of ten times this doesn't because the marshall's cannot get up quick enough if a run through is performed for instance.

use of shields : marshalls who use shields do so for varied reasons and the main one is so that the marshall can run across x amount's of lanes of paint get in to check a player and keep that player covered whilst checking him where as especially when short of marshall's some marshall's will think twice before doing such a couageous move but i hear u all call thats what's expected of them i know but there are those who need them.
one other reason for them to be used is they can get in closer to the action also which which helps with positions like the snake or the fifty complex whatever it may be.

anyway these are just my views and not those of my team or my sponsors

regards

PEACHIE

canine defence league
Jun 22, 2003
Visit site
thoroughly agree with you jinxy. Used correctly shields are certainly a good idea. however I've also seen marshalls dicking about with their shields when they should be paying closer attention to the game (even at millenium level). shields are definetely a personal choice for marshalls and if marshalls want to use them so be it

ps £50 is a crap amount of money for marshalls for the work they have to do. a £1 extra per player would give them a better wage and i wouldn't mind paying a £1 more if it got extra marshalls on the fields.

pps could we have a couple of marshalls chronoing markers for the next game during games (millenium style) this would speed up turnaround time no end and would allow more teams to enter.
I know marshalls don't grow on trees but chrony marshalling is quite an easy job which doesn't involve getting shot all day.

MrPink

Banned
Aug 15, 2002
Cook$ mom's house
www.ltpaintball.com
Peachie - no disrespect, but a proper Chrono-Judge has perhaps a harder job then the regular Judge as he/she needs to know the ins and outs of all the Markers used out there, and also needs to know the correct procedures for both Chronographing and Trigger-bounce testing, in addition to knowing all the normal rules.

True- you may not get shot as much, but you do need to know your stuff inside and out.

NBR

Tiger Army 1st Battallion
Oct 1, 2002
London
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we will be crono'ing every single baller on the field before a game,during a game and after... you won't be able to move for crono's... :)

Also we don't do any of this 1-4-1 ing... we go straight for the 7-4-1's ;) :p :D