Votes: 9 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • I have in the past and somthing changed my mind

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
Jun 25, 2009
South West London
Personally I have no idea if there is a god/higher power etc. Sadly there is not enough proof either way for me so I'm kinda on the fence on that one, but I have no problem with faith.

The problem I have is when religion becomes organised, as that's when the trouble starts. Faith can become fanaticism, established religious doctrine becomes dogma and any deviation from what is seen as the "proper way" is not tolerated. If you look across history, some of the worst conflicts are not between different religions, but between two different factions of the same religion.

A good quote is from Red Dwarf, where the Cat civilisation was destroyed due to an arguement between two factions over what coloured hats should be worn in Lister's paradise, red or blue (and the hats were intended to by Lister to be green!).

As for the bible, well, sorry, i place no stock in it. How can it be accurate when parts of it were written hundreds of years after the supposed events? Also, as long as my memory is incorrect, but didn't Adam and Eve only have male children? Kinda makes it hard to continue the species that way.... (plus if they did have female children, you're still going to have a lot of in-breeding going on!) Quite a few of the world's problems are down to the fact that holy books were written long before anyone dreamed of modern civilisation and so many have to be "interpreted" to try and fit. And that interpretation is a very personal thing and can differ wildly.

For instance, in a rather nasty 1990's internal conflict in Algeria, a scholar of the anti-governemnt group called the Islamic Fighting Group (GIA) used his interpretation of the Qur'an to announce it was perfectly fine to kill children. His reasoning being, everyone is born a muslim, and by killing a child before they can be brainwashed into another faith, you ensure they go to paradise. Likewise, from Christianity you have the Pope's Crusade era proclaimation that killing Muslims in the Holy Land is not murder, it is the path to heaven. A finally, for balance, you have the Jewish claim, based on the Torah (sp?) that the land of Palestine is theirs becasue it is their devine right. And that little one has caused all manner of problems in the last 60 years (and is one of the major factors in the world's problems today).

Sorry chaps, but I place no stock in organised religion and their books what so ever. Faith can be good, but be wary of when it becomes organised.

Homewrecker

previously Tomtimus Prime
Aug 9, 2010
Manchester
It seems quite amazing to me that people are quick to declare their non belief in a higher power [God] yet at the same time are quite happy with the notion this then leaves the very thing they exist in [The universe] unattributed.

By all means declare you do not subscribe to any religious direction but I just don't see how any rational mind can entertain ... what?.......the universe somehow self created?
I mean, just weigh things up here ... we have a universe lord knows how many millions of light years across [pun intended] and with the complexities and beauty that is boundless and yet we then wanna go and state nothing created it .... I say, 'no thing created it it' but what's really meant is God didn't create it ... now surely that's just insane.
Insane? I suppose.... Fascinating, Intriguing and Mind blowing? Definitely.

There is plenty of things that Science has been unable to explain....yet. It's human nature to fear what we don't understand and therefore we seek explanation in everything. Even if that definitive answer is an unproven accusation of a higher being, or design.

A blanket answer like... God created it, is very easy to swallow and ties up alot of loose ends. It comforts people to know that this isn't just 'it' and that their entire struggle won't be so they can just be recycled into the earth. Understandable, lack of purpose of meaning to someone’s life can be quite frightening, personally I think holds us back as a species.

On the flip side, I would hope that many people don't settle with the notion that the universe created itself somehow, but was actually a result of a reaction of other a force(s) we're yet to discover or understand.

The thing about the concept of God is, it cannot be unproven. So people will always be able to attribute anything as his action. It's an easy fix for alot of complex personal and scientific issues.

I've tried to write this in the least patronising way possible, I apologise if it comes across otherwise.

Scrumpy

Now with added pew pew
Dec 7, 2006
Darkest depths o Zumerzet
Right time to give myself a headache! I have an idea that there could be a god as there are some things that cannot be explained in any other way (even Stephen hawking has said this). Do I believe there was a man called Jesus? Well yes there is historical evidence that this man existed. Do I believe him to be "the son of God" not really but he may have believed this! Do I believe that the bible is a holy text? No because I think the stories are just that! No comes the messy bit! I think Kevin Smith has got it right when it comes to religion. A belief is a rock hard ideal that is nearly impossible to change and so wars are fougt over them and people are killed over them. Ideas onthe other hand are changeable and malleable it's much easier to admit to having a bad ir wrong idea then it to admit to having a "wrong" belief. But then the Kevin smith way could be taken out of context by saying if your following one persons teachings then surely you idolising them (in the truest context of the word) I say and? Just as long as you don't start thinking what he has said or is saying is the be all and end all!

Right I think that's outta my system now and I'm sure I'll get pulled up on something but I'll be more then happy to discus more.
Nick

PaintballWizard

The best in the west!
Oct 5, 2009
Me, personally, i have not voted on the poll ad I feel you need an agnostic option. I was not born a Christian, (or any other faith for that matter) and never have been. However, this does not mean I disregard religion as fiction. I am totally open minded on the topic. If you give me some hard evidence a 'god(s)' exist, I will likely believe it. Give me some evidence that there is no god, I will believe it.

HOWEVER, completely on the contrary, I do not believe there was a son of god named Jesus, nor a prophet of god named Mohammed and so on. Then again, this does not mean I don't think they existed. There is evidence that Jesus existed but what I believe is that they were not who they claimed to be.

Robbo, I must agree with you on the majority of your points you make but you suggest the idea that the universe couldn't create itself, well in which case, you propose God made it yes? But where did 'God' come from? It's all very fascinating and theoretical, well, everything about religion is.

My approach? Respect other peoples beliefs, and follow the moral teachings of Christianity as If religion is true, I'd rather not go to hell thanks .