Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Investment and Entrepreneurialism

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
Do you do anything with your money other than save it?
What do you invest in? How much do you invest?
Do you own a business or part of one? When did this happen, how?
Given the current economy, what's your strategy and/or appetite for risk?

Just curious as I'm looking to dip my toe in a bit. :) Discuss.

Reactions: Jim Jam

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
I opened a martial arts club and turned a hobby into a revenue stream. I did teach a club before but it was for little to no income, i look back now and consider it my apprenticeship because I am good at what I do. I know this because when I left that club I was getting phone calls for weeks from parents begging me to come back, the club went from 40-50 students to less than 15 with the new instructor.

I now have 40 ish children and 15-20 adults each week and am contemplating a second club with a view to a possible 3rd and then creating an association but that's only a possibility and not a concrete decision.

The main reason I went down this line is that not everyone can simply open up a martial arts club. I live in a rural area (very rural!) and there is nothing else out there for the younger kids in the way of activities so I do have a monopoly and the parents are glad to have someone to offload their offspring to for just over an hour.

I only have hall rent and insurance to pay, I bought all the equipment and was paid back from club funds within a month.

Good business IF you're good at it and prepared to put up with little children :D

Reactions: Jim Jam

Azreil

Jun 15, 2008
Salisbury
I'm trying to take advantage of the weaker property market we have at the moment, and am currently in the process of buying two flats with the aim of doing them up and renting. all I can say really is solicitors can be painfully slow sometimes! :p

StewartW

Certified Eclipse Tech
Feb 13, 2012
Scotland
I used to dabble in shares (nothing too fancy like "Buy buy buy, sell sell sell!), basically looked at what companies sounded interesting and bought them low, sold 'em high.

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
You guys have spare money?

Yep, lucky enough to have very few outgoings, although that is starting to change.

I'm trying to take advantage of the weaker property market we have at the moment, and am currently in the process of buying two flats with the aim of doing them up and renting. all I can say really is solicitors can be painfully slow sometimes! :p

Would love to do something like this, but I don't think I can get a very big mortgage. Good on you though! Dusty, sounds like you're living the dream. Kinda.

Personally, I'm hoping to offer a friend some capital and manpower if he restarts his Quasar business.

tones

Dec 9, 2012
This isn't spam (I didn't write it lol). But read an interesting book about starting your own business last week.

http://37signals.com/rework/

Interesting stuff about starting a small business and not playing by the usual rules. Also only 200 pages, so not too hard going.