Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion 101 upping...

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Gents...

I feel obliged to post this in order to help some of our 'newer' members who are posting again and again similair questions with regards to upping an Ion..

I do not consider myself an expert, but this forum has helped me out so much with regards to how to get the best from my Ion, I want to pass this knowledge on and I hope this can go some way to reducing the repeated posts that have appeared lately and provide structure to what you can do to an Ion and why.

To start with
Basically if you have an ion straight out of the box you should consider first practical items.

- Fit a locking feedneck. The stock one does not hold hoppers in well.
- Fit a non Smart Parts on and off, where I would recomend a CP Oops.

Then depending on your objective, you have three avenues you can take.
  • Efficiency and Performance
  • Accuracy
  • Bling
It's up to you to decide what your priorities are based upon your budget. I myself went for accuracy and efficiency initially over bling, but each to their own. Listed in what I think the order you should buy them in within each area.

Efficiency and Performance
1. Lighter bolt such as lucky stage 1 or SP Firebolt. Less mass to move and better venting.
2. QEV (quick exhaust valve) SP 360 is the easiest to fit as no milling of the body is required. QEV provides faster dump of air allowing faster bolt action. May make your Ion harder on paint. Prone to failure.
3. Trigger - Can increase finger walking rate.
4. Firing can, such as a lucky stage 2. Better venting plus larger volume = lower pressure.
5. Donut such as a lucky stage 3. Better venting.
6. Circuit board such as a lucky stage 4, T-board, SP blackheart. Allows additional tourney modes, increased bps limits (some unlimited), easier programming. Opinion has it can make the Ion 'feel' better to use (placebo maybe?).
7. New regulator - The Ion regulator is actually quite good, but a CP regulator can make your velocity be +/- 2 fps over the chrono according to reports.
8. Detents - Stock Ion ones will wear out eventually as they are one of the few consumable products on the marker. When you NEED to replace your detents... pick aftermarket ones. as most aftermarket ones have a much much further life expectancy than stock.

Points 1, 2, 4, and 5, will allow a substantial lowering of the dwell therefore increasing air efficieny of your marker possibly by 30%, and will also allow your bps capability to increase due to faster cycle times.

Accuracy
To increase accuracy consistently sized paint must be used with a tight barrel bore. It is therefore suggested any system with interchangeable backs or a changeable bore system is used, such as a freak system. Also a good ball to bore matching will increase consistency over the chrono and possibly slightly increase efficiency of your air.

If budget is an issue.

- Buy a used freak front and back with a bore (usually .691)
- Look out for people selling random bore sizes and pick them up one at a time.

If budget not an issue, buy a full freak system, or a lucky kit, or a dye system or whatever you fancy. They are all means to an end, i.e. good paint to bore match.

Would not recomend getting a barrel over 14" as this perhaps starts getting too long to run around with, and it is said anything over this does nothing to improve performance or accuracy. Suggest 12".

Bling
Anything. Grips, body, stickers... eyes.. whatever.... the world of bad taste is your oyster...

Final note - air and hopper...
ANY air system generally available will work on an Ion. From the basic ally 0.8L 3000psi to the all singing all dancing fibre wrapped 5000psi systems. Hoppers. Use a gravity fed hopper if you want, but ideally aim for a hopper that can consistently push the paint through at no less than 15bps. A used egg with fresh batteries should meet your requirements nicely.

Remember it's YOUR choice and YOUR budget!

Further references not to be ignored... no sir!....

THE PGI thread... 'Answers to ALL your ION questions here....'
http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=75843

Furthermore.... Please no ion flaming. I've up'd my Ion loads and play alongside peeps with many different markers such as Angels, EGO's, PM's DM's, PMR's. Ok.. Ion's havent got the build quality etc of these markers and are perhaps harder to maintain, but in play alongside them I'm giving as much grief to the guy on the other end of the field as they are..... sometimes more....

Please, opinions welcome as to the above guide.... and I will attempt to edit to try and compile this into a master list of some kind and then keep it on file for future reference...:)

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Whats an ETek?

Whats an ETek? :rolleyes: Hey only joking... hmmm... well... no on consideration actually .. what is an ETek?

Thanks for the comment Oily, my experience regarding paintball marker tech solely lies with an Ion, hence why I wrote this..... but if someone wants to pay me £50k+ a year I will gladly leave my current career and do similair for any paintball marker currently on the market, or even for markers of yesterday or even yesteryear! :D

SteRoberts

Pugwash
Apr 1, 2004
Wolverhampton
- Fit a non Smart Parts on and off, where I would recomend a CP Oops.
Why a non smart parts one? Surely anything other than the Stock ion duckbill if you find if comfy enough is cool, whether its made by SP or not ..

2. QEV (quick exhaust valve) SP 360 is the easiest to fit as no milling of the body is required. QEV provides faster dump of air allowing faster bolt action. May make your Ion harder on paint.
If you want a QEV be SURE that you want one, and make sure YOU KNOW WHY you want one. In my experience, they cause way to many problems than they are worth. You can shoot more than enough pots on your 4.5k 1.1 ltr bottle anyway ...

3. Trigger - Increase finger walking rate.
You should have a disclaimer here to protect you from lawsuits lol, someone with crap fingers will still only shoot crap whatever trigger is in it. Its a personal thing ... note that i still use a stock trigger in my ion.

6. Circuit board such as a lucky stage 4, T-board, SP blackheart. Allows additional tourney modes, increased bps limits (some unlimited), easier programming. Opinion has it can make the Ion 'feel' better to use (placebo maybe?).
Yeah you are about right ... i have a blackheart and its better than the standard one in Semi, and all the other modes for that matter. An upgraded board is pretty much a must if you are thinking of playing Ramp tourneys (millenniums etc ...)

Would not recomend getting a barrel over 14" as this perhaps starts getting too long to run around with, and it is said anything over this does nothing to improve performance or accuracy. Suggest 12".
This is probably personal preference mate, although i think you are probably right saying there is no accuracy benefit with using a 16" over a 14" ... i personally shoot a 14", i see no point in 12" at all, 16" is even bigger for pushing into those bunkers, if you are into that sort of thing.

If you care, my ion is sweet as :D.

Blackheart Board, Sith Frame, CP Regulator, Q-lok, Check it On/Off, Lucky Unitec barrel kit

Shot sooo many people its lost count :)

Laters

Ste

Marcus Geezer

Platinum Member
Thanks SteRoberts

Why a non smart parts one? Surely anything other than the Stock ion duckbill if you find if comfy enough is cool, whether its made by SP or not ..
Although I agree it is down to personal preference, my own experience of smart parts on/offs is that they are poo. I recomend a CP Oops as it is reliable, has a purge, and looks cool to boot.

If you want a QEV be SURE that you want one, and make sure YOU KNOW WHY you want one. In my experience, they cause way to many problems than they are worth. You can shoot more than enough pots on your 4.5k 1.1 ltr bottle anyway ...
This is a very valid comment. QEV's tend to fail a lot, and as commented can make your Ion hard on paint. They are not an essential up, but will make your Ion vastly more efficient. Make your choice.

You should have a disclaimer here to protect you from lawsuits lol, someone with crap fingers will still only shoot crap whatever trigger is in it. Its a personal thing ... note that i still use a stock trigger in my ion.
LOL. Your right it doesnt make you shoot faster, but it enables easier walking of the trigger. I'll change the wording slightly to avoid any expensive lawsuits :). I kept with my stock trigger for ages and only recently changed to a CP trigger, but now find it much easier to walk the trigger. I think its a case of you don't know better till you got it.

This is probably personal preference mate, although i think you are probably right saying there is no accuracy benefit with using a 16" over a 14" ... i personally shoot a 14", i see no point in 12" at all, 16" is even bigger for pushing into those bunkers, if you are into that sort of thing.
I read somewhere that a barrel over 14" is ineffective and it actually starts to reduce the velocity due to areodynamic stresses in the barrel or something like that. I used to have a 14" but changed to 12" without any detriment to performance, and find that losing that couple of inches just makes your marker a touch more compact on the field. Each to their own.

Thanks for your comments SteRoberts. Nice to see I'm generally on the right track with this. Keep em coming in peeps!