Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion vs Epithany(?)

HammersmithZak

ROFLCOPTER!
Jul 1, 2007
Barnes Hammersmith
www.myspace.com
ion and ephiany are exactly the same the only difference is that the ephiphany is in a cooler body and probably even more of a bitch to clean.No offence to smart parts as lol i used to own one and it served me well but its quite annoying to clean the bolt.

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
My original point is, when comparing like for like, no matter what your requirements, adding a QEV degrades the overall performance of the gun, where as increasing the pressure improves the overall performance of the gun
ok, well there is no denying that like for like adding a qev will make an ion harder on paint (although i do believe that the benifits far outway the draw backs of qevs)
however in a real world situation there is of course many things that will affect how hard an ion is on paint.

as for my statements about the mass of the bolt, the mass of the bolt will always affect the force transfered to the ball at the intial contact moment.

What i meant was that a bolt weighing 7 grams hitting a ball compared to a bolt of 16grams or 33grams hitting a ball at the same speed, will be softer on the ball.

..any whoo imho i prefere ions over epiphanys, although they require vast amounts of investment to get them to perform aswell as an epiphinay

oh and btw it is nice to have a logical arguement with some rather than just slag each others mums off. :D

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
ion and ephiany are exactly the same the only difference is that the ephiphany is in a cooler body and probably even more of a bitch to clean.No offence to smart parts as lol i used to own one and it served me well but its quite annoying to clean the bolt.
no,no,no,no,no....see my first post.....

edit: the comment about the bolt is fair game - the newer version (the eos, will resolve this)

ok, well there is no denying that like for like adding a qev will make an ion harder on paint (although i do believe that the benifits far outway the draw backs of qevs)
however in a real world situation there is of course many things that will affect how hard an ion is on paint.
OK ill concede to that, also the bolt forces we are talking about are so low, that you are hard pressed to find paint that will actually break in an ion under normal circumstances.

Paint that brittle wouldnt stand being force fed by a hopper.

Although I still maintain, a firebolt and a QEV combo is the quickest route to spoiling the performance of any ion.

as for my statements about the mass of the bolt, the mass of the bolt will always affect the force transfered to the ball at the intial contact moment.

What i meant was that a bolt weighing 7 grams hitting a ball compared to a bolt of 16grams or 33grams hitting a ball at the same speed, will be softer on the ball.
But the ball and the bolt move together. So there is no initial contact moment.
And when comparing two bolts that dont weight the same, the speed would never be the same (a heavier bolt would not get up to the same speed when driven over the same distance by the same force).

Your analogy is like hitting a golf ball.
For the same golfer performing the same swing, a heavier club would give much larger impact force.
This is about storing up as much energy in the club as possible before contact, so a weighty club lets us get more velocity.

I think its alot more like a lacrosse racket, the ball and racket are always in contact.
The ball and racket are initially stationary and together. Effectively they are part of the same mass which is accelerated until the end of the swing where the ball is released, the momentum in the ball carries it further.

Because the ball moves with the racket, energy is put into the ball over the duration of the swing, there is no single point (in time) of contact.

In this case, what the ball 'feels' is the resultant force of the acceleration of the racket over the duration of the swing.

A heavier racket wont make the ball go further or put more force on it.
For a given force, increasing the mass of the racket reduces the acceleration.
Reduced acceleration means reduced force on the ball and a reduced velocity when the two separate.

..any whoo imho i prefere ions over epiphanys, although they require vast amounts of investment to get them to perform aswell as an epiphinay

oh and btw it is nice to have a logical arguement with some rather than just slag each others mums off. :D

Agreed. No point writing a whole page if nobody is going to challenge it. :)

The ion is a great blank canvas, the epiphany is possibly a better choice if you dont want the hastle of researching the right upgrades.

Crav

Ghostflanker
Nov 8, 2007
Gainesville, FL
how does a bolt and qev degrade performance?

Although I still maintain, a firebolt and a QEV combo is the quickest route to spoiling the performance of any ion.
I had to join this forum just so I could get an explanation about this.
I'm new to this arena but I've tried to do my research.

John, maybe in your previous 5 posts you already did this, but I'm having trouble following, so could you explain how an ion's performance is degraded? What exactly is degraded and which new upgrades would do that? I was leaning towards getting a QEV and Deadly Winds Hollow Point (if it's easier to install than the Tech T than I'm going with it - I need easy) but now you've thrown me into a quandary about what to do.

Of course anyone else can reply :)

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
I had to join this forum just so I could get an explanation about this.
I'm new to this arena but I've tried to do my research.

John, maybe in your previous 5 posts you already did this, but I'm having trouble following, so could you explain how an ion's performance is degraded? What exactly is degraded and which new upgrades would do that? I was leaning towards getting a QEV and Deadly Winds Hollow Point (if it's easier to install than the Tech T than I'm going with it - I need easy) but now you've thrown me into a quandary about what to do.

Of course anyone else can reply :)
do thats what i have in mine, you need to look after your reg, as it will need a fast flow rate to keep up with the rest of the gat:D

paintballupgrades ftw (pm ioncrazy)

Crav

Ghostflanker
Nov 8, 2007
Gainesville, FL
do thats what i have in mine, you need to look after your reg, as it will need a fast flow rate to keep up with the rest of the gat:D

paintballupgrades ftw (pm ioncrazy)
Could I get all of that in plain, grammatically correct english? :) I'm not so savvy on the lingo and shortened words. thanks.

Carlos.

Something funny
May 12, 2007
North West UK
Could I get all of that in plain, grammatically correct english? :) I'm not so savvy on the lingo and shortened words. thanks.
To be honest it's quite easy to follow, substitute "do" for dude, "reg" for regulator and "gat" for gun.

If you think that's bad you're going to have a nervous breakdown if you read some of the posts on here:D

*edit* actually i think the "do" means do get those upgrades