Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion vs Epithany(?)

Crav

Ghostflanker
Nov 8, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Har Har.

My biggest question here is how do I get the least variance in FPS? Does decreasing the Dwell or ROF (or a combo of both) contribute to increased FPS variance?

I don't need to shoot 17BPS, and I prefer 3-round burst so I'm limited to 10bps anyway. Ball on ball accuracy is more of a priority to me than CPS and as far as I know that's only achieved with a low FPS variance.

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
higher dwell and ROFD will slow you down but the longer pause between shots will allow a more consistant recharge in the fire chamber.

however a big degree of consistancy will still come form the reg itself. a new reg will take a good 5k of balls to settle in. even after a strip and clean it will take a good few shots for the reg to resettle.

a new reg may or may not be what you need.

i find the sp reg with the epiphany set up runs very well, even at high rates of fire. it is just that some people don't give the reg that time to settle from new and expect instant perfection....

Crav

Ghostflanker
Nov 8, 2007
Gainesville, FL
higher dwell and ROFD will slow you down but the longer pause between shots will allow a more consistant recharge in the fire chamber.

however a big degree of consistancy will still come form the reg itself. a new reg will take a good 5k of balls to settle in. even after a strip and clean it will take a good few shots for the reg to resettle.

a new reg may or may not be what you need.

i find the sp reg with the epiphany set up runs very well, even at high rates of fire. it is just that some people don't give the reg that time to settle from new and expect instant perfection....
Thank you so much for the info, that really answered my thoughts concerning that. Could you answer another? It may or may not depend on my specific marker. I bought a Smart Parts Ion, took it out of the box, aired it up and fired 5 rounds. The velocity was almost all the way up and it shot at 340FPS. As i attempted to adjust this, I realized the manual said to turn it all the way down before ever airing up and then gradually increase the velocity. Could I have damaged the reg (or other parts) because I didn't break it in slowly?

(Sidenote rant: Why the hell do they ship it like that? geez. I'm probably the 300,000th person to air it up immediately and fire.)

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Don't worry about the spelling:p.
M8 is looking to start balling and was considering buying the Epithany over the Ion..
Yes ,no and why please.
Differences,benefits,etc,etc...don't suggest other guns just give me the lowdown if you know,cheers.
Going back to your original question, if you look here http://www.smartparts.com/#/markers/home/ you'll see that the epiphany is no longer listed. That in in itself would advise me not to buy a marker that is on it's way out?
SP are adamant that they are continuing production but if they are not advertising it ????

Personally i'd wait for one of the new ones, i've seen and played with the new SP guns and the EOS takes it over the ION XE for me. The EOS is ready to roll and nicely finished, stronger threads, better build, rear bolt access, q-lock and on/off. Screw in a preset and go play.
Only criticism of the EOS is the smooth metal trigger.....just doesn't feel right but doesn't affect performance, just my personal opinion.

I have to admit that i'm not a fan of SP and prefer other makes, but having had my grubby little mitts on the new range, i have to say i reckon they've got it right? There's no longer a need to spend thousands to compete. With the Vibe and SP1 coming in at around £100 it's a great starter price to get players on the field:)

yes the price is ideal for the new starter kit have to say i did have a epiphany and when it went up for sale no one wanted it i no it was a upped ion so looks like sp are aiming for the new peeps starting out with they prices and the bolt out the back just like the shockers