Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion vs Proto SLG

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
Has anybody owned both an Ion and an SLG (Ultralite) ?

I was wondering what opinions people had when comparing these two entry level markers ?

I have owned an Ion for three years and have found it to be an excellent marker. However, since it has gone up from approximately £140 to £240, it does not represent the value for money that it once did.

I have never used an SLG, but at £200 it would look very interesting to anyone considering buying an Ion.

How do the two markers compare ? Thanks, ...

tech

Jul 19, 2006
having chrono'd and bounce tested and shot nearly every gat i care to think of mout of those twom i would say go for the SLG.
the new ultralite is a very nice bit of kit plus you get the excellent tech support of Dye.
upgrade the stock barrel though, it is a bit of a drain pipe :)

stevie t

Sep 27, 2006
have used both and liked the slg better because it seems a lot more solid and doesn't feel like it will break in your hands, Also imo it looks a lot better.

Ash-79

Mar 5, 2009
midlands
I have both these markers the ion xe and ive just got my new slg ul :). The slg looks much better and is so much lighter, hence the ul part. I am using it this weekend so will be able to share my opinion then. As you well know the ion is reliable, great! my slg has just come with 2 o rings frayed not a happy bunny as ive not even used it and already using the spares, prob just a one off

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
I have both these markers the ion xe and ive just got my new slg ul :). The slg looks much better and is so much lighter, hence the ul part. I am using it this weekend so will be able to share my opinion then. As you well know the ion is reliable, great! my slg has just come with 2 o rings frayed not a happy bunny as ive not even used it and already using the spares, prob just a one off
Cool, thanks for that. Interesting to know the SLG is lighter. It does look nice too, better than the Ion I agree.

I will be interested to hear how it goes at the weekend although any marker is entitled to some teathing troubles :)

M600

Sock Hats are Cool!
Jan 4, 2008
if you already got the ion keep it, otherwise the slg is the top dog

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
if you already got the ion keep it, otherwise the slg is the top dog
On what basis mate (is it top dog) ? Other than already discussed weight and looks.

Ions are quiet, accurate, fairly efficient (with qev), fast as you like, current model has 'bolt out the back' for easy maintenance; but could do with new asa, feed neck and trigger.

I cannot see how the SLG could be better, but have an open mind.

Just interested ...

tech

Jul 19, 2006
the slg could come with a metal trigger, the stock plastic one does flex a tad too much for my liking.

ShimmerShot

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2008
Midlands
I have only owned an Ion XE... not a fan at all, you would need to upgrade at least the board to make it legally ramp, this would already make it much more overpriced then the SLG UL.

Less upgrades would be needed on the SLG because it already comes with;
-a more programmable board
-Better trigger (that naff plastic one on the ion is rather laughable imo :p)
-finger screwing feedneck
-better reg

thats at least a saving of £130!

just my thoughts, as i know times are hard, it would be easier to get something you don't have to keep buying stuff to keep it up to date.

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
I have only owned an Ion XE... not a fan at all, you would need to upgrade at least the board to make it legally ramp, this would already make it much more overpriced then the SLG UL.
Good point about the bps. I assume from your post you can change the bps on the SLG then ? That would certainly be a very big advantage over the Ion.