Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion vs Proto SLG

Ash-79

Mar 5, 2009
midlands
yeah up to 33bps if your loader can handle it :) dont think many places will let you shoot that fast, norm about 15ish !!!

Ive shot both quite a bit and id pick the Ion every time.

The SLG looks nicer, its better built but I think the SLG lacks the smooth shooting of the 'grown up' spool valves.
If you really want to go proto, get a second hand PM6/7. Far better.

Also, the fact that many new high end guns (eg the geo and the droid) share the same operation as the ion gives me confidence that the ion is a sound design capable of very high performance.

JamesH

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
birmingham
you guys obvioulsy havnt fired my ion... it looks super sweet, doesnt feel breakble shoot ropes, spits strings, whatever the saying is now. if you want to see ask and ill pm you a pic :)

ION all the way! why spend 1000 on a gun when i love mine so much :p

M600

Sock Hats are Cool!
Jan 4, 2008
On what basis mate (is it top dog) ? Other than already discussed weight and looks.

Ions are quiet, accurate, fairly efficient (with qev), fast as you like, current model has 'bolt out the back' for easy maintenance; but could do with new asa, feed neck and trigger.

I cannot see how the SLG could be better, but have an open mind.

Just interested ...
well the slg ul is the standard slg with all the upgrades any one would need and its got the standard dye/proto customer service,
ions are still good guns, but if it was a choice between the two then SLG all the way

JamesH

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
birmingham
ive spent about 400-500 on my ion and theres no gun i'd swap it for and prob no other gun like it, still not finished with it yet! still a custom anno to come along maybe

ShimmerShot

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2008
Midlands
James,

I believe that Simon is trying to figure out the best started gun at a low price, which does all the bells and whisles that you need it to do.
However in the current economic climate, I believe hes looking for a cheap gun, that shoots millenium, and needs as few upgrades as possible.

As you have already said, you have spend £400-500 on your Ion, for that price you could get an ego08 or dm8 or older generation guns of the same line. I have owned the Ion, the DM8 and the Ego08 and the Ion loses on the basis that you have to plough so much additional money into it to get it the way you want it.

I no doubt your gun feels good, but for someone starting out, unless if your loaded you'd want to get something at a very good price without having to upgrade the gun within the first couple of months starting out.

I have read elsewhere that Simon's team has had drawbacks in people leaving due to money and other commitments, I believe hes doing is trying to lead the new group of players hes no got towards the right kit and gun at a good price.

Ive shot both quite a bit and id pick the Ion every time.

The SLG looks nicer, its better built but I think the SLG lacks the smooth shooting of the 'grown up' spool valves.
If you really want to go proto, get a second hand PM6/7. Far better.
Hi John,

Have you shot the SLG UL 09 or the SLG 09?
I presume you are referring to the 08 SLG model in your reference here as the newer gen are much smoother shooting..

The new models both have 'bolt silencers' fitted to the bolt stem that works very well to not only quieten down each shot but also to reduce kick making it 'feel' a lot more like a Matrix.
I was genuinely impressed with how great the new generation of SLG's shoot and handle.

The UL frame is standard UL goodness, which come fitted with a Aluminium UL trigger and the board contains all modes needed and is capable of being lowered to the new 10bps Millennium rules.
That all combined with a clamping feedneck, spring/plastic detents, easy accessible eyes and a Hyper3 reg, the SLG UL is an amazing bit of kit packed with high end features for the money.

I think most people underestimate the value of buying brand new from a UK store. The service, backup and support for newer players is invaluable, not to mention full warranty from manufacturer.

Also, there is also a really affordable special deal running with all accredited DYE dealers at the moment which includes a 4.5k 68cu Throttle air system and an EL goggle.

Hope that helps guys. If there is anything else feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Tommy