Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion vs Proto SLG

Jan 5, 2006
Kent
Visit site
Shimmer' - you hit the nail on the head there.

Thanks a lot everyone. Some really useful comments.

I think the conclusion so far is :-

1) Both guns are great and have a lot of fans. Cannot go wrong with either.
2) The SLG is better value for money, particularly being able to set bps for tourny play (will save £50-80 straight away).
3) With upgrades the Ion could be pushed into a slightly higher realm of performance than the SLG may be able to achieve (concerning smoothness of cycle).

Hi John,

Have you shot the SLG UL 09 or the SLG 09?
I presume you are referring to the 08 SLG model in your reference here as the newer gen are much smoother shooting..

The new models both have 'bolt silencers' fitted to the bolt stem that works very well to not only quieten down each shot but also to reduce kick making it 'feel' a lot more like a Matrix.
I was genuinely impressed with how great the new generation of SLG's shoot and handle.
Hi Tommy yes I was talking about the 08 SLG.
I have no experience with the 2009 version.

I presumed the 09 was a face lift version of the 08. The same mechanics with different milling.

If DYE have improved the recoil and noise, then it will certainly make the SLG very attractive, IMO those were the only down sides of the 08 model.

I shall reserve judgement on the 09 SLG till i get chance to shoot one.

Hi Tommy yes I was talking about the 08 SLG.
I have no experience with the 2009 version.

I presumed the 09 was a face lift version of the 08. The same mechanics with different milling.

If DYE have improved the recoil and noise, then it will certainly make the SLG very attractive, IMO those were the only down sides of the 08 model.

I shall reserve judgement on the 09 SLG till i get chance to shoot one.
Yeh i'd be interested to hear what you think. I agree with you on the 08, and so did the R&D guys.

Both of the 09 models (SLG & the SLG UL) have taken a huge step forward in fully refining the platform.

Tommy

mophead

dont really care
Apr 15, 2007
Newcastle
havnt they put a much better noid in the slg 09 . saw one in action a few weeks ago and while minis ions geos were breacking down the slg kept plowing on ... when it comes to it dye are the best in the buisness

Tommy I will certainly try to check one out although its ego city around here.:eek:

havnt they put a much better noid in the slg 09 . saw one in action a few weeks ago and while minis ions geos were breacking down the slg kept plowing on ... when it comes to it dye are the best in the buisness
Its safe to say that any modern paintball gun will not break down if you know how to use and maintain it correctly.

On the other hand even an automag or a tippmann can break down if you dont look after it correctly.

Ash-79

Mar 5, 2009
midlands
Hi guys
Took my 09 slg ul out to day and i can report that i had to use my ion xe as my slg would not work :-( Chrono between 160-180fps all good went to play and after about 20 shoots the ball jammed between the bolt and feedneck, great!!! Unblocked it then carried on and again it happened!! Seemed to be when you get the fire rate up, so had to walk out of the game. Now it does not even work, air's up ok, turns on just wont fire, Just clicks. Before that it seemed good.

ALIHISGREAT

Jan 7, 2009
The way i see the whole XE vs. SLG debate is this:

Get the SLG if you want a gun that will perform 'better' out of the box (the only things really better are the board, feedneck and ASA)

but get the ION XE if you want a smoother shooting gun that is simple and reliable that you can get as a beginner marker and your ION will grow with you... so you start out stock, then get a bolt, then later a board and barrel and a feed neck, ASA and body... and then you can upgrade the grip frame to a custom one and put a new reg on and you have a custom marker, suited to you. even if you have dropped a rather large amount of money on it :D

but paintball isn't cheap... anyway!