Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is it racist?

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Have you ever thought of the facts that if the management of this so called chinese or indian restaurant was racist, how the hell did this lad get a job in the kitchen of this so called restaurant in the first place.

Todays society has become petty, the courts awarding to those who try it on and get away with it. The more you hear of these cases, the more people will think about having ago to make a quick buck out of something, then sooner or later that opportunity arises, BINGO...!!! we have another winner :rolleyes:

When ever my team gets 1 4 1 on field, i get pulled for it, should i tell the reffs they are racist ?

Wait...!!!

Now thats an idea, i could take Wendy to court due to there reffs being racist :D
I should have done that when playing the PA:p

Ofcourse, im only kidding, just so wendy doesnt ring me at 9am in the morning whilst im still dreaming to be the next ollie lang :eek:

dicksin200

veni vidi vici
Feb 2, 2009
sheffield
lol

Well in that case then most restaurants I have worked in are sexist. They only really for the most part employ young, pretty girls to wait on tables.

But I dont hear anyone complain about that.
but would you.

i mean who wouldnt want there food being brought out by a nice fit woman.lets be honest when you get a fit waitress you are more likley to order desert lol

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Well in that case then most restaurants I have worked in are sexist. They only really for the most part employ young, pretty girls to wait on tables.

But I dont hear anyone complain about that.
....well, it's either employ the young pretty girls or kit you out in a skirt and boob-tube .... it's a no-brainer for me ....oh my, what an image.......:eek:

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
To be fair in the case of restaurants the hiring of some one of the same ethnicity as the food or a good looking lass will improve the experience, increasing the likelihood of return custom and thus increase revenue.

(I know I'm far more likely to go back to a restuant with pretty young girls serving me nice food than a place with burly blokes derving me nice food.)

Now hiring some one because they are more likely to increase revenue is not racist regardless of if race is a factor or not.

My 2p as always

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I honestly believe we are all racist, it is merely a matter of degree and expression, it is human nature to feel it.
I think we all feel discriminatory at some time, in some way, to some degree but it's how we let that affect us in terms of decision making and what we say that makes the difference.

One of the things I have noticed is the ironic consequence of all this PC legislation and rhetoric...... I wasn't racist .... but all this PC cr@p angers me so much, it nudges me inexorably closer to being racist because I feel the average white working class person is being marginalised in our country under the guise of fair play and fair legislation.

The very thing this PC cr@p is trying to avoid is the very thing it is nurturing as a simmering backlash from the people who are excluded from a lot of these positively biased legislations.

To judge a person purely on his colour is shameful but neglecting (by default) the major demographic of this country is equally shameful.

There is a necessary social imperative to cut out active racism from our midsts but the over-reactive and sometimes emotive measures we witness do more harm than good...the problem is, the harm it's doing isn't yet as obvious as other social backlashes ...this one will start to surface as this recession begins to grip....to the extent it manifests itself in our society will be dependant upon how severe and how protracted this recession turns out to be.

head_-_shot

UK Under 19's & London Tigers.
Oct 25, 2008
London
www.facebook.com
hmmm

In the case of any food place in my area , the food obviously isnt REAL indian/chinese food , so having someone who isnt chinese/indian serving food doesnt matter , as there most probably is a non indian sticking the food in the microwave behind the doors of the kitchen anyway.

and I have been to many foreign style restauraunts with english waiters and found them more enjoyable than others WITH foreign waiters , its really more about the food and the personality of the waiter , I'd have better things to say about a restaurant with a witty and polite white waiter , than if a place with a foreign waiter suited to the foods origin was a bit sulky and rude.

but theres not much I can do about it until you lot vote me into parliment (hint hint ) :D

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
on the OP: it is not racist - as the resteraunt can employ people of the correct ethnicity as they wil match the set job criteria. if you can argue that the ethnicity is an essential part of the job description you can write it into the person specification. there is legislation to allow this.

for Spangley: the same holds true for a variety of other jobs and requirements. if you cannot legally sell something due to being underage, it is acceptable to write the age restriction into the person spec. at the other end you can't apply to be a serving fireman at the age of 70....

this is true for other jobs where there are exceptions. in the care industry you are allowed to specify gender. this won't break the rules on sex discrimination as the gender is an essential part of the person specification.

the trick with the legislation on this stuff is first of all to check if the exemption already exists, and if not you can still use set requirements IF you can prove that it is an essential for the job to be undertaken.

i also agree with Robbo. we are all racist - even just to some small extent, whether we mean to be or not. i think the fact that the whole "positive discrimination" thing exists in itself is evidence of our conscious racism. If we weren't racist, we wouldn't need it.

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
The hardest person to fire is a pregnant/new mother. They have more rights than anybody, regardless of colour. Trust me. If you are going to fire someone in this group, you better do it right because the law leans a huge amount in their favour. They are at the very top of the "rights food chain".

A pregnant woman recently got fired and reported to the police for systematically stealing cash from a company (having being recorded). The CPS had solid evidence and prosecuted. She was found innocent (her hormones forced her hand) and is now suing for unfair dismissle, loss of earnings, damages to her, damages to child etc etc.

Bar the disabled, there is no reason for anybody to have more rights than anyone else, especially on ethnic grounds (in my opinion). But this is not always the case, as we know all too well in this soft-touch country. You can help people too much and in the end you will fail to do them or society any favours.

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
there are some huge problems when big companies restructure if they have employees out on maternity.

the fundamental problem is that the employee has to come back to an equivalent job and cannot be made redundant during the restructure - except in some cases on last in first out, but even then they actually have to finish the leave and return to work before being made redundant...

it happened to a friend of my wife - she was a manger in charge of 5 people in a marketing team. came back to find that although she was still a manager she had no staff to manage and a different job remit....

company were in some serious do-do. there was no way they could argue that she was even remotely in an equivalent job. they rejigged things a little which pacified the union and allowed her to have more-or-less the equivalent job.

guess what happened on her second maternity leave......

needless to say some people never learn.......this time it is going straight to tribunal.