Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is paintball a sport? What makes it a sport?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Re: Re: Meanwhile, back in the real world

Originally posted by Baca Loco

If the media is the key why do you keep dealing with the wrong people? :p ;)

Baca, I have no idea how it works in the US or the UK, but here in Holland if something is recognised as a 'proper' sport, one can establish an official club for it, which if it aquires a certain number of members, the local authorities have to give a piece of land to. So I can see some benefits in being officially recognised.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Not to the point my huge, ugly Dutch Bud

Originally posted by Buddha 3
Baca, I have no idea how it works in the US or the UK, but here in Holland if something is recognised as a 'proper' sport, one can establish an official club for it, which if it aquires a certain number of members, the local authorities have to give a piece of land to. So I can see some benefits in being officially recognised.
:p :eek:
I have no doubt there are some benefits to recognition but the question is how do you get recognized?
Apparently Hotpoint and the UKwhatsis has pounded on the Sports Council's door for quite some time and jumped thru all the correct hoops to what avail?
If the object is to get recognized all I'm suggesting is perhaps a different avenue or acting in concert on a parallel avenue would serve the ultimate goal more effectively. Just a thought.

Hotpoint could

set himself on fire like those Buddhist monks - that got 'em on the front of tha first Rage against tha Machine album.

You can't buy that kind of publicity.

Hotpoint, stop ****ing around with tha dictionary and be a real man - torch yourself for tha cause.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Not to the point my huge, ugly Dutch Bud

Originally posted by Baca Loco
:p :eek:
I have no doubt there are some benefits to recognition but the question is how do you get recognized?
Apparently Hotpoint and the UKwhatsis has pounded on the Sports Council's door for quite some time and jumped thru all the correct hoops to what avail?
If the object is to get recognized all I'm suggesting is perhaps a different avenue or acting in concert on a parallel avenue would serve the ultimate goal more effectively. Just a thought.
Okay. I misunderstood what you said then. I thought you meant "stop going for official recognition, and just get us on teevee (or something)"
I agree with what you said here. (oh my god! :eek: :D )

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Yep, got exactly what I wanted ...

And the arguements are all strong, and have some consensus behind them. But there is one weakness in the talk here, whether it's mention of the advancements internally seen, the dictionary definition's impact, the council's authority.

Now before I state it, I have only played and organized local tournament/scenarios/walkons in the US and Canada so I can't speak with experience in the Euro/UK scene. My understanding is that the tournaments overseas are outstanding in environment and organization but the teams have limited player pools to pull from and the costs in some places are prohibitive to extended playing/practicing? So what I'm going to put forward applies to the US because of the lack of legitimization and to Europe because of lack of numbers, maybe.

Here it is: what if you asked the person on the street what the NHL, NFL, FIFA/MLS, NASCAR or anything Major League were about and tossed in the NPPL or Millenium Series? Forget why we know those abbreviations, and no, we're not going to only ask someone that works at Crystal Palace, I meant the average man/woman/sports fan out there. On a broad enough survey base and you know the answer.

Better yet, parallel our advancements in concept field tourneys in stadiums to the same changes that took baseball to the big league diamonds and hockey moving to the famous arenas. They were fully legitimized long before corporate dollars/television. We are very parallel in growth to the same state, but without the average person on the street having a clue about what we are. Without the status.

The weakness is that only paintball people are talking about it. The 6-8 million who play? They went once on a birthday party or corporate outing. That's the honesty I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I want huge growth, legimitization and a disconnect with ping pong (inside joke). But I think that comes from honesty, intelligent debate (someone mentioned trying to get the dictionary definition changed, outstanding) and hard work.

You're right, I need to get out and get shot more often (any volunteers?), definite cabin fever symptoms here,

Good stuff.
Larry

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Yep, got exactly what I wanted ...

Originally posted by Problem
And the arguements are all strong, and have some consensus behind them. But there is one weakness in the talk here, whether it's mention of the advancements internally seen, the dictionary definition's impact, the council's authority.

Now before I state it, I have only played and organized local tournament/scenarios/walkons in the US and Canada so I can't speak with experience in the Euro/UK scene. My understanding is that the tournaments overseas are outstanding in environment and organization but the teams have limited player pools to pull from and the costs in some places are prohibitive to extended playing/practicing? So what I'm going to put forward applies to the US because of the lack of legitimization and to Europe because of lack of numbers, maybe.

Here it is: what if you asked the person on the street what the NHL, NFL, FIFA/MLS, NASCAR or anything Major League were about and tossed in the NPPL or Millenium Series? Forget why we know those abbreviations, and no, we're not going to only ask someone that works at Crystal Palace, I meant the average man/woman/sports fan out there. On a broad enough survey base and you know the answer.

Better yet, parallel our advancements in concept field tourneys in stadiums to the same changes that took baseball to the big league diamonds and hockey moving to the famous arenas. They were fully legitimized long before corporate dollars/television. We are very parallel in growth to the same state, but without the average person on the street having a clue about what we are. Without the status.

The weakness is that only paintball people are talking about it. The 6-8 million who play? They went once on a birthday party or corporate outing. That's the honesty I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I want huge growth, legimitization and a disconnect with ping pong (inside joke). But I think that comes from honesty, intelligent debate (someone mentioned trying to get the dictionary definition changed, outstanding) and hard work.

You're right, I need to get out and get shot more often (any volunteers?), definite cabin fever symptoms here,

Good stuff.
Larry

Ain't disputing most of that, sounds cool to me !!!
But I would think the future of our sport lies not so much within the realm of intelligent debate but more upon the marketing of high-octane tournament play.
Herein lies the future and I'm afraid we can't rely on the US promoters to do this as they have shown time and again they do not possess the imagination to market our sport properly.
Richmond,I believe, has provided us all with the vehicle but I fear the wheels of the PSP ain't up to the job and never will be.
Get Laurent over there or just hire some guy skilled in marketing to take over the reins or perhaps it's already going on in the guise of Chuck Hendsch, only time will tell on that one.
But reasoned debate merely lubricates the wheels of progress and in this case is not an answer in itself.
You're getting better Larry :)
Robbo