Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is paintball dying ???

Donk

Gorrilaz
May 11, 2010
Clacton-on-sea
I do see what you are saying but I don't think it needs to be any cheaper than it is, in comparison to model car racing, motocross, go kart racing or hitting 2 night clubs a month it seems to all cost about the same.

Maybe the whining is down to the younger players in the smaller faster games that are replacing the older players do not have the disposable income that guys who have been around the block have?

I personally don't think paintball is in trouble, I think people are just more aware they can pick where they want to play

Richard Merghani

Feb 9, 2012
I'm sorry I have to strongly disagree ! I along with a lot of my former team think that paintball is in DEEP DEEP trouble !! A single day out at a tourney will set you back £70 - £90 since when is that cheaper than 5 years ago ?? When I played for Tsunami we got a sponsorship from POWERBALL and a massive hand up from Belsales . BUT It still cost the above price or there about's a tourney !! IF so many tournaments have stopped because of lack of people and the fact as you say so many older players don't play/like 5 man why doesn't someone start a 7 man tourney scene like the old days ??? There is NOOOOOOOOOOOO value for money in 5 man ! IF the powers that be dont change there ways soon paintball wont be just on it's knee's it will be 6 foot under !! :eek:

Donk

Gorrilaz
May 11, 2010
Clacton-on-sea
Just in case i misread you you were heavily sponsered 5 years ago & it cost the same then as it does to play un sponsered now?...

I think going back 7 man is the way to go forward, the trouble there is I do not own a piece of land to do this on & most venues have 5 man fields and no matter how many times numeros people ask to have the fields extended it falls on deaf ears...

Robbo did put a poll up here with a view to backing what the majority wanted & helping the sport with his time & influence last year, the outcome was the majority voted for 5 man

Last edited:

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
5 man with large fields would be better than going back too 7 man
think about it we don,t have alot of teams now ,but if you go too 7 man you will have less, as teams will have too merge to play 7 man.
alter the fields,larger fields with larger bunkers is the way too go, make it harder too get shot off the break ,but make the fields aggressive too play.
the fields have too cater for all types of player not just the young athletic type

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
donk that maybe so but if say you have 30x5 man at the moment but change to 7man you may lose 10 teams as they have too merge with the other teams too make squads so now you only have 20 teams so organiser is no better off
simple maths
5x30 =150 players
7x20=140 players
see my point it`s not the size of the teams it`s the field and bunker size that has got smaller over the years look back at old vids the bunkers and fields were bigger,also another thing giving out field layouts in advance,my point here is players would travel down the day before an event too walk the fields and maybe practice on them ,this kept people on site so they spent money at vendors booths and on food,now we turn up then leave all on the same day, before all events you played were 2 days as you made your way down too get the field layout stop over and camp etc etc

Richard Merghani

Feb 9, 2012
I wouldn't go as far to say heavily sponsored BUT we did get a hand BUt from the prices my mates ( who still play ) quote me its about even in terms of cost then and now ! I think paintball should go back to 7-man ,as you said before Donk more value for money and people tended to hang around more and spend money at the trade stands not shoot off ! If people can't see 5 man is killing tourney ball then I'm glad I decided NOT to start again !

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
There's absolutely no denying that paintball as a sport has suffered from decreased numbers over the past few years, I've always said that unless a player can support themselves with finance and transport then they shouldn't play. If you can't find your own way to practice and tourneys, constantly rely on others for lifts or to help you out with fees then no matter how good you are you couldn't play without the "old" guys who have the money and resources to help you.

Paintball IS cheaper now than ever before, the second hand market is flooded with markers and kit and some of the prices I've seen here lately are ludicrous!!! I wouldn't even consider buying a brand new marker now and I can get most of them at trade price!! I remember practice sessions used to cost me £15 field fee and the guy who ran them charged me £30 for 1000 balls never mind the price of a marker......

There'll always be new blood coming through, most times these are also the first to drop, the main body of players who keep touneys afloat have the money and time to spare and these are the customers you want to keep happy. If they ain't happy and leave, do you think the tourneys will be well attended by teams made up of under 25's?? Maybe in the short term but once their pocket money runs out what happens??

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
richard i think there maybe crossed wires ,you are thinking of the race too format not straight 5 man as that is just like 7 man minus 2 players.
it`s the fields look back at the size of bunkers now compared too 10 yrs ago ,look back at events like simply the best that was held at elsham,it was always 2 days for a team,as you had too walk fields maybe had a bit of fun with the two man on saturday then played all day on sunday,now it`s, know field 1 month in advance train at local field which is more fun than event.
know you turn up say morning slot, play from 9-1 and then go home as next session starts.
if want too help ,go back too large fields with big bunkers and no coaching and no field layouts till event or maximum 1 week before event if released .
Dusty nail head comes too mind. also rich 5 man was going fine before 7 man so it`s not straight 5-7 man that is the problem neither is race too

now if we look at other sports do they practice on the course field etc etc before the weekend they are playing it no,i;e look at football, know i asked my son what he did (used too play for leeds utd in the same team as Danny rose now at spurs) they practiced skills and did fitness things not matches as such,look back at the good old days in the UK we practiced skills ,walked fields etc etc get back too this and you will have value for money