Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is paintball dying ???

jitsuwarrior

Old Baller, getting older
Jun 14, 2007
Northern England
Dusty I have to agree with you there is a massive decline in numbers of players, and fewer tournies, but the quality line with in the UK seems to be improving... I say seems to be because it is the Mills (Starting this weekend) where we find out how well as a nation we are moving our game forward. I personally think we have the right amount of tournies in the country. What would be great to see at the end of each season is for the top two teams in each tourney to play against each other. OK so if you are a Div 2 Ultra Lite team and you are drawn against Disruption you are going to learn fast. At the same time Disruption (and other teams) get to see the potential in teams at a lower level.

We (DV8) trained yesterday against Laysick VIP, The Firm 1 & 2 and have to admit the friendliness and banter is still there, but if anything the honesty and the integrity of the players (around all tournies) is improving. You are seeing less wiping and more good sportsmanship.

To me if we stay at a sustainable level and we can continue to teach new players how to play fairly and honestly then we are improving paintball. OK so it is not marketable on TV, at present I don't think paintball will ever be marketable, you can't convey the adrenaline rush, the awareness that is needed, the speed and agility, not unless a big TV firm took it as a serious venture.

Currently I think we need to ride this financial storm and continue to embrace new players and show them all the values we play by.

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Played tournament ball frequently between 2003 and around 2008 because I was young and had the time. Now I'm working every week day, living a fair distance from my local site and at weekends I'd rather relax with my better half and watch the F1.

I love paintball still but as has been mentioned above tournaments are too much money and hassle for minimal play time. These days I play scenario events and walkons around 3 or 4 times a year with a group of some my best mates. Warped's NvS is an incredible event, all in all its not cheap but Friday through Sunday of relaxing, drinking, BBQing and paintball makes it completely worth it. I would love to play a few casual tournaments if they existed but bollocks to xball style matches and ramping fire modes.

Btw, hello everyone. This new forum sure is shiny.

Last edited:

waldo795

Mar 1, 2011
Watford
I actually think paintball isn't expensive at all. Some things can be but if your clever and look around for a second hand one you will save some money. the problem with numbers in my opinion is places that hold Punter recball days (not naming any) but they are charging £120 a box for paint, If i didnt have friends who play tourney/rec ball I would have thought that paintball would be way to expensive to play and have been put off. I think the punter days need to be showing players the better side to paintball, that will encourage people to play it.

If paint prices doubled tomorrow I would still play, just wouldn't shoot as much at training. I would still play as I love the sport, I would much rather spend my £100 on a tournament or walk on then to go up to my local night club and spend it their (which is easily done these days.)

But yeah the real issue isnt the format of play or the style of play or even the price; its that fact that its just not advertised or recognized, take supair for example I play regulary and when I say to someone who doesnt know, ah im going training tomorrow they always ask me how to you train for playing in the woods? lol..

Get the sport more well known, more people will play and the business will grow faster. IMO

Last edited:

PEBBLE

Toot de la fruit!
Nov 8, 2004
I don't think its ever going to ever get popular, nor die , unless world war 3 happens or something.

would pro (tournament) paintball players pay for paintball if it got to that point? i know for fact that most of the big names players would quit pball. probablu just get jobs ion the paintball industry. They are just taking advantage of the perks of travelling and having lots of adventure.

I have to say, i didn't realise that nppl 7 man changed to the 1st to 5 (i think) , which makes things better to watch/play.

**** knows about the recreational side of things.

I'm getting old anyway. :eek:

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
If you really want to see paintball grow, you should be in favor of paying higher prices, not lower ones. That's just a fact. How many people on here moaning about the state of paintball today actually pay full price for their stuff? How many of them do one or more of the following:
1. Order online from the states (because it's cheaper)
2. Buy 2nd hand gear instead of new (because it's cheaper)
3. Buy from someone that gives you a heavily discounted deal (because it's cheaper)
4. Bombard the industry for sponsored/discounted product (because it's cheaper)
5. Buy the cheapest paintballs available (b.i.c)
6. Get by without paying green-fee's at your local field (b.i.c)
7. Challenge the price you pay for everything, because you feel that the guy selling it is making too miuch money off you.

All of the above damage an already unhealthy industry. I hear people complain that stores dont have enough product in stock, but you dont want the store-owner to earn any money, with which he would buy more inventory.
I hear people complain about the quality of events they attend, but wont go play them unless they are dirty-cheap.
I totally understand people wanting to save money and not pay retail prices although they are basically retail customers. I even understand poor business-people capitulating to this pressure and cutting their own throats to get a sale. What I dont understand are the people that do all of the above, and then fxxking whine on here about how the game is dying and the one sure fix is to make everything cheaper. The guy above with the - sell 200 for less than you sell 100 and make more money - analogy must have only attended the first half of his first economics lesson. Unbelievable that people seem to be buying into this fantasy business model.
Seriously, go to school. Learn about how business works, then come back.

Reactions: Dusty

PEBBLE

Toot de la fruit!
Nov 8, 2004
If you really want to see paintball grow, you should be in favor of paying higher prices, not lower ones. That's just a fact. How many people on here moaning about the state of paintball today actually pay full price for their stuff? How many of them do one or more of the following:
1. Order online from the states (because it's cheaper)
2. Buy 2nd hand gear instead of new (because it's cheaper)
3. Buy from someone that gives you a heavily discounted deal (because it's cheaper)
4. Bombard the industry for sponsored/discounted product (because it's cheaper)
5. Buy the cheapest paintballs available (b.i.c)
6. Get by without paying green-fee's at your local field (b.i.c)
7. Challenge the price you pay for everything, because you feel that the guy selling it is making too miuch money off you.

All of the above damage an already unhealthy industry. I hear people complain that stores dont have enough product in stock, but you dont want the store-owner to earn any money, with which he would buy more inventory.
I hear people complain about the quality of events they attend, but wont go play them unless they are dirty-cheap.
I totally understand people wanting to save money and not pay retail prices although they are basically retail customers. I even understand poor business-people capitulating to this pressure and cutting their own throats to get a sale. What I dont understand are the people that do all of the above, and then fxxking whine on here about how the game is dying and the one sure fix is to make everything cheaper. The guy above with the - sell 200 for less than you sell 100 and make more money - analogy must have only attended the first half of his first economics lesson. Unbelievable that people seem to be buying into this fantasy business model.
Seriously, go to school. Learn about how business works, then come back.