Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is the Joe Schmoe profile really necessary?

Manning26

Man, I can't believe it, I certainly didn't realize your situation over there. That certainly explains why I haven't seen any British Schmoes in the mag'. And not to be a jerk, but that would also explain the learning curve between American and Brit tourney teams. I have five paintball fields within an hour driving time, and two of 'em are indoor. It would be possible for us to practice every single freakin' day, although not concievable, we could do it. I'm sure that I'm not alone in my ignorance either, I've seen a lot of people post how small the rec scene is, but no one ever laid it out.

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
Sad but true.
I have great hopes that things will improve fairly soon. There's been loads of paintball on TV ( The Mole, X-fire, Mission paintball), coverage of tournemants in the press, an interest in scenario games from paintball field owners, and PGI, APG, PSI and Crossfire at Borders.
we can hope...
in the mean time, can I come stay with you? ;)

Manning26

Well, hopefully things do change for the better over there. If I were to fly over to England would I be able to go to a field and play that weekend, or do most fields over there predominantly cater to party groups and such? I'm hoping to drop in on London sometime this year, and would love to play while there.

Also, you can stay as long as you do the dishes. In fact, I've got a pile waiting for you right now.;)

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
It's not normally a problem to get a walk-on game at fields around London, thats what I do. Most of them will be catering to rentals, but they are willing to let me play. They are a little reluctant to let walk-ons play if they use high-end markers. Basic semi's or the rental markers are okay.My very humble GT-2000 gets a lot of suspicious looks :rolleyes:
Otherwise, theres a couple of sites that do a "own gun day", once a month, you'll be able to play with any marker.
If you want the website addresses, let me know.

As for the dishes, thats a small price to pay. I'll dig out my rubber gloves and dish-washing liquid ;)

Manning26

When I figure out exactly when I'm coming over, if I can make it this year at all, I may e-mail you for those sites, thanks by the way.

You've got me a bit concerned now over playing at your fields, that'd suck to show up at the field to find about two other players to play. I suppose I should leave my gun at home then? I don't want the regulars to think I'm an ass 'cause I'm hoppin' in with 'em with my Angel. How about a stock-class Phantom, that'd maybe keep me in their good graces?

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
Sorry for going off-topic, moderator blokes:D
I think you'll be okay, Manning. There should be more than two players, possibly as many as five! :p
The Angel should be fine for most "own gun" days and the guys might just surprise you
;)

Manning26

Hey Darkwerks, I don't think we're hurting this thread, it was nearly out of steam anyhow, plus, I started it anyway!

As far as the fellows at the field surprising me, do you mean talent-wise? I learned a long time ago to never underestimate anyone, so don't worry about that. Plus, I suck.;)

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
I'd thought I'd try and cover my ass as the P8baller guys have been a mite tetchy recently.
I'm sure the guys would take into account your suckiness and give you a head start ;)

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Originally posted by Manning26
Hey Darkwerks, I don't think we're hurting this thread, it was nearly out of steam anyhow, plus, I started it anyway!
Who are you kidding Manning26! I'm just getting started :D. I should have my full thesis on this topic re-drafted and edited, ready to post by 6am!! :D

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by AJermstad
I'm sorry If I came accross arrogant in my argument, and I don't think for one minute that either end of the paintball spectrum should be discriminated against for the type of game they play or image they portray (unless of course there's some extremist terrorist group practicing with PB guns somewhere!! :eek: ).

L8R people!
Don't worry bro, I wasn't targeting you specifically when I said that. It's somehow common for us tourney boys to think that all recboys aspire to be like us. I used to be like that until I got a few major eye openers.......
It's still funny as hell when you see the look that some of the serious weekend warriors get on their faces when they realise that you'll be playing in a tasty shade of blue, instead of some unwashed BDU's......:D