Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is this any good for a starting set up...?

PaintballWizard

The best in the west!
Oct 5, 2009
I really wouldn't touch the piranha's if i were you. At the end of the day, they're made to immitate (to an extent) electronic guns for a much lower price. Hence, bad quality, bad customer service, and the fact it'll fall apart.

If you really are set on buying a mechanical but don't want to pay up for the tippmann x7 phenom (it can run electronically or mechanically) then i would go for a bt4. Although it is probably more economical because a) you'll probably shoot less paint and b) it's cheaper to start with, an slg will still perform a hell of a lot better ignoring the fire rate. As in, an slg vs. a bt4 or a etc firing only 5 shots, an slg will still be more consistent. As whatshisface said, just because you can shoot that fast, doesn't mean you have to. Besides, if a box of paint costs only £25 a box, you're only paying 1.25p for every trigger pull.
The amount of paint you shoot shouldn't be a factor anyway as paint isn't exactly that expensive and the fact the markers going to cost a fortune anyway.

But if you're absolutely set on a mechanical, i'd go for a bt4 for it's customisation and quite good fps consistency. Although i still wouldn't recommend a mechanical marker.

Hope this helps :)