Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is tournament paintball heading in the right direction?

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
As the MS CPL loses 3 teams - and we're still quite a way off the start of the 2011 season yet - is 5-man X-ball the right way to go?

X-ball was started as a TV-friendly format. Well, that didn't work out as paintball isn't TV-friendly.

I have a lot to say on this, so i'll split it up over a few days.

For the time being, for those of you who attended the CPPS 7-man cup, did you enjoy playing 7-man semi-auto?

Did you prefer it to the X-ball format and ramping?

Please post up.

Thank you!

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Back to the woods and scenarios, 7 or 10 man.
Speak'eth the truth. X Ball, was only ever going to work as a super-pro elite format - mainly for factory teams. Anyone who was about or played it between 2002-2004 probably realised this. Not sure why it's taken 8 years for the scene to wake up to it....... Might have something to do with the fantasy la la land tournament players live in. Pro's, Sportspeople, practice etc as big a fantasy as a sex sandwich with Marg Helgenberger and Nicole Scherzinger, really.

This and the faggot rules that also exist, but thats a whole other thread.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
And another point

It's a pretty damning indictment of the sport when the most popular thread, on what was the World's premier paintball resource, is (constantly) The GunWhore's Club. No debate on the future / direction of the sport??? Or is everyone really just playing for some weird gun fetish (which is frikkin weird considering all the whining about getting overshot).......

The tournament community just wants to talk a good game....

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
FFS. how many topics are we going to have on this?! this seems like the 1000th time i've read this topic, and you'll get the same answers.
Well, at the risk of further indulging Jonathon he does have a valid point. And as for the 1000th time of reading it, I'm amazed anyone got past the GunWhores and other spam threads in SYB.

rob_evanson

Veni Vidi Vici
Jul 27, 2001
Cheshire, England
www.teamquestpaintball.co.uk
Back to the woods and scenarios, 7 or 10 man.
I agree, like most things in life at the moment, the future is going retro. When I left paintball the first time, Xball had just come out. I understood a new format was needed to try and make paintball more viewable, but it just doesn't work there is too much going on all over the place and no fixed focus point for viewers to keep an eye on.

Paintball as a sport is expensive enough, but ramping through cases of paint at a time just adds to the bill. I would guess that if you ask people why they leave the sport, most will say its because of money to some degree (either lack of it or it's required elsewhere) So why not ditch the ramping, go semi again and make it more accessable to the masses and bring back the old formats.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
The tournie scene was at its peak just before we got ramping followed by X-ball and current Race to formats
UK Tournie player numbers have been on the decline since the introduction of ramping and X-Ball.