Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is tournament paintball heading in the right direction?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Jonathan, it seems like you are saying 'We need to make it cheaper for the players to play'

Is that what your basic context is?

If so, then I think you are dead wrong. It's not about price. It's about value.
Agreed, but that obviously means that either the price has to come down to meet the current value of an event, or the events have to become better.
Right now, prices are high, value is low.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
OK, let's talk about common sense.

What single thing would result in a huge saving to teams?

Not releasing field layouts before an event.

This would remove the pressure on teams to play the layout prior to the event, and give a huge saving on paint. This would cost the event organisers nothing.

It would also reintroduce the old school skill of wlaking the field on the day of the event.

If Pete could get the MS to agree to this, and other leagues followed suit, it would be a significant saving for teams, allowing them to play more events.
I was about to comment something similar.

Gone are the days of getting there on the Thursday and having to walk 8-10 different fields. Didnt seem a ball-ache at the time, but SEEMED to be one compared with the relative ease of going to Bricketwood and playing a pre released field in time for the next event. The downside to this is you would go "training", and just come up with field strats. No-one ever did any real training any more! And if you say you did, what was it? Cant have been much, as everyone wanted to get as much game time on the fields as possible, especially if you had driven 3hrs to Dartford.

Also, I miss having a mixed bag in your prelim games. I used to play "Pro" (term used loosely) 7man from about 2000 until the EXL came about. And of course our bracket contained a few other Pro teams, so Im not talking about me really. Its the Am and Novice teams possibly having the chance to play Avalanche or Ground Zero, Joy or Ton Tons. Win or lose, thats gotta be a motivator to get yourself to a tournie! And not a gimme either for the Yanks. Dynasty would regularly lose 1 prelim match against an Am team, and smash everyone else.

Wish I could pull out some answers to our conundrum, but I cant. Loosely hoping my ramblings and memories will spark one from someone else :D

Ainsley

CPPS Chief Chimp
Mar 26, 2008
Staffordshire
Surely not releasing field layouts before events would have a devastating impact on local fields such as the CPPS, who's income part relies on teams coming down to train most weekends?

Also, whilst things might be more "exiting" playing the unknown and finding the spots during the course of the day, isn't it also a regression in terms of professionalism? For example, the teams that do well at the moment are those who put those hours into training week, in week out......indeed, I doubt my team would have done so well this year without those hours on the training field, finding those lanes and making the preparation that gave us the edge. Are we to be punished (in a fashion) for wanting to play more?

Although we enjoyed the 7man tournament, it was a lot more paint intensive than a normal 5 man day......think we shot about 2 cases each compared to 1/1.2 at a 5man, so as far as value goes, I don't think it offers a perfect solution.

Bigger fields on 5 man perhaps? More bunkers to allow for more movement and less lane shooting? Answers on a postcard please........

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Agreed, but that obviously means that either the price has to come down to meet the current value of an event, or the events have to become better.
Right now, prices are high, value is low.
For me, a large part of the value is the cameraderie, which evolves into freindships, experiences shared etc. It used to be that the players party was a big deal, and a real value-adder, however this is no longer the case as the demographic is now too young to participate, hence the value is not there for them. Also, the 'getaway' aspect, where grown men go out and share the paintball experience with their mates, leaving the wife & kids at home and doing something for themselves - A teenage demographic does not realise this value either.
My point is, the value is still there, in many ways, but the current paintball players can't access it and so thereofre do not appreciate it. We need an older demographic.
My idea to create this is actually to separate age-groups and start a Junior (U18) league that runs alongside the current one. I believe this would work if adopted.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Oh yeah, just remembered. DITCH SIDELINE COACHING!!! It sucks. Much prefer relying on my team rather than a coach in one corner of the field, and much rather not have the mugging run announced to the world on the rare occasion I could pull one off :D

Reactions: Ainsley

rob_evanson

Veni Vidi Vici
Jul 27, 2001
Cheshire, England
www.teamquestpaintball.co.uk
Moving slightly off subject, but sticking with the value for money element. It looks like the Super 6 events next year are working to push for more value for the average player. I know we're talking tournaments here, but if next years Super 6 recreation events are a success and the organisers provide what they promise, then the tournament scene might have to take some notes. I haven't been to a tournament for many years, but when was the last time an event had a promise list like this:

So what can players expect from a Super6 event?

- A full weekend of paintball for the same price as a normal one day event
- Hundreds of players – each leg will be a genuine Big Game weekend
- Some of the UK’s best paintball facilities
- The UK’s best event organisers, each an industry professional with years of experience
- Free tech classes
- Multiple Traders, manufacturers and vendors
- Free tech support for most major brands
- Free equipment workshops
- Free Super6 Academy
- Free Super6 Home Team Challenge
- Free HPA Safety Training and Pass Cards issued at the event
- Super6 TV – a 30 minute TV show from each Super6 leg
- Teams of professional photographers covering each leg
- Free Player Party on Super6 Saturdays
- Standardised ticket price – same price for all Super6 events
- Standardised game rules (i.e. chrono limits, fire modes) across all Super6 legs
- Vastly improved quality in catering with price limits in place to protect players
- Improved bathroom facilities, permanently manned and cleaned all weekend
- Fast track registration – less than 90 seconds to register
- Fixed team of head marshalls across all Super6 events – more consistent marshalling
- The Super6 girls!! Our team of Super6 models will be present at all Super6 events
- Scores of overseas players
- UK’s safest ever events
- UK’s biggest ever prize pool with over £10,000 worth of prizes to be given back to the players!!
- The Super6 Awards – trophies to be awarded at the end of year Paintball Awards
- The priceless Super6 Golden Gun to be won! A 24 carat gold handmade Angel Ark marker. The only one of it’s kind in the world, comes in its own handmade display case!

The Super6 is not a revolution for paintball, but the intention is that it is the start of the evolution of the woods based game.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
we have to think where is most paintball played,in the woods.
so what makes it that good,large fields,maybe that is the problem.
you have no room to move,especially for the older guys.
if you are not quick this is not the game for you
so maybe larger fields are the answer what ever format

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
For me, a large part of the value is the cameraderie, which evolves into freindships, experiences shared etc. It used to be that the players party was a big deal, and a real value-adder, however this is no longer the case as the demographic is now too young to participate, hence the value is not there for them. Also, the 'getaway' aspect, where grown men go out and share the paintball experience with their mates, leaving the wife & kids at home and doing something for themselves - A teenage demographic does not realise this value either.
My point is, the value is still there, in many ways, but the current paintball players can't access it and so thereofre do not appreciate it. We need an older demographic.
My idea to create this is actually to separate age-groups and start a Junior (U18) league that runs alongside the current one. I believe this would work if adopted.
So basically, for the current demographic the value isn't there. ;)