Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

J&J ceramic or freak kit for 98 custom?

Bowerz

Dec 29, 2013
Southampton
So, looking at both the aforementioned barrels for my 98 custom. My question is, is the freak a bit pointless for the low end 98? I don't mind investing in one as I can see myself progressing in the sport and will look for a good deal in a second hand one, and the fact I only have to change the back piece if I change to a gun with different thread is quite handy and clever. Just things to consider, can't see myself selling the 98 as will either lend to a friend that wants to come or use as a backup.

Is it worth the extra investment? What would you guys do?

reaperuk91

Mar 11, 2012
durham
Nope save up and buy a better gun. I put a hammerhed on bt omega worked well but was costly. By all means buy a barrel kit but if you buy a new gun and its a different thread its just a waste really. That's what I did anyway and ended up selling it as it was useless to me after my new gun came and gathered dust almost new.

reaperuk91

Mar 11, 2012
durham
That's true sorry long day lol, no harm in it though a better gun first would be what I recommend.

Bowerz

Dec 29, 2013
Southampton
Fair enough! I'll stick with the 98 as is and wait for a deal to come up on a more advanced gun.

Everybody else agree with this? Want to get as many opinions as possible :)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
A barrel kit won't be entirely pointless on the 98, barrel matched paint is better then not having matched paint.
However - what do you consider to be wrong with the 98? Low end does not have to mean rubbish.
You can work around not having matched the paint, it's either a perfect match, over bore or under bore. There are trains of thought that prefer over or under bore.
Over bore is less efficient on air, but if you have enough air / paint to play each game until you are back to the fill station is efficient enough

You could save money on a partial set with some common sizes, and people often find themselves using just 2 or 3 inserts, but it will be a compromise when you don't have the right insert for the paint on the day

Being worth the money is subjective - freak sets are reusable on various guns with the backs not being expensive so it would not be wasted money to buy a set. However of you see yourself getting another gun in the future you could just as well put the money to the next gun.

An alternate to a sizing kit is to just have a variety of barrels. Buying them now for the 98 would not fit other guns, but if your next gun has a common thread such as autococker then a variety of barrels over time are likely to fit your 3rd gun etc

Bowerz

Dec 29, 2013
Southampton
Thanks for the advice. Yes that is my currently trail of thought! My reason for a 'better' gun is weight and ability to put more paint down the field quicker. I read up and took that trade off between having some of the features, and the fact the 98 is so reliable as I didn't want my first experiences of paintball to be my marker breaking then completely put me off!