Planet Eclipse Warped Sports Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Jerry Braun!

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by TJ Lambini, Mar 19, 2002.

1. raehl Guest

raehl
    Whelp...

Jerry originally pulled my attention over here due to the Biff sighting, but since the discussion seems to have turned to an area I'm familiar with after having set up the NCPA, I thought I'd jump in.

The NCPA is an incorporated non-profit organization, a complete legal entity onto itself. Every year we have elections for the Board of Directors, with each member-club getting one vote for a Director from their region and one vote for a Director-at-Large (There are 5 regional Directors and 2 at-large Directors). Every board member has to be a full-time student, although there is no requirement that they actually play tournaments since the NCPA also does a lot of rec and scenario stuff. The Board in turn elects officers, which include the President (me), a Treasurer, and a Secretery, plus any other executive assistants the President appoints, with Board having to approve the creation of any new positions. The officers run the organization on a day-to-day basis, but their actions are appealable to the board and the board can limit the actions of the officers by establishing policy. So far, I've been given very wide latitude to run the organization, and expect that to continue until I screw up or something. ;)

Anyway, I would suggest that if PSP/the players/whoever are going to push forward with this effort that elections be held as soon as practical - and Chicago seems to be that time frame. I would also suggest, however, that elections not actually be held at the Chicago event, but that voting forms be distributed to the teams over the next two PSP events and mailed in to whoever is counting the votes, or better yet voting keys be given to the teams so they can vote online. Those who are not at Chicago or Vegas but still eligble to vote would be able to go through a separate process to verify their eligibility and get a voting key.

Personally, I don't see the need for a separate Rules Committee and Other Stuff Committee. Either the people you elect represent you or they don't; having two separate committees is just asking for a mess later. Either you have a problem when one committee thinks the other is stepping on its toes, or you have a problem when both committees thing something is the other committee's job. If it really turns out that there is enough work for more than one committee to be necessary, establish sub-committees to deal with it.

In terms of committee composition, I'd get away from 6 members - go with 7 (or maybe 5). Even numbers are bad for obvious reasons. The committee should elect a chairman at their first meeting, that chairman should run the meetings and set the agenda but never vote except in the case of a tie. I would recommend having two seats determined by vote of the Pros, two by vote of the Amatuers, and two by vote of the Novices, with the last chosen by everyone. Every pro team would get two votes for the Pro reps, am 2 votes for am, novice two votes for novice, and everyone one vote for at-large.

In terms of players vs. non-players on the committee, there are two ways you can go. One, you can put restrictions on the kind of affiliations candidates have with teams - can't play, can't be a sponsor, whatever. This would probably be difficult because everyone seems to know someone in paintball. The other is you can mandate that candidates play in the divisions they are running for or play in the league if they're going for at-large. In the case of the second, I strongly recommend that the committee have absolutely zero oversight over the rules or events during the events, but instead elect a disinterested person to make those kinds of decisions day-of. At the end of the tournament, any long-term decisions of that person can be examined by the committee, and that person is responsible to the committee, but you don't put any players in the position of having to make a call on the same day they are playing. Maybe the committee elects Bill Cookston to be the day-of arbiter if they're comfortable with that. That's basically the same way the NCPA works - I or my appointees can toss people from events for infractions, issue suspensions, expulsions, lifetime bans, etc (within guidelines), but all of that is appealable to the Board of Directors after the fact.

You could incorporate this committee, which gives you some nice legal status and protections.

If elections are done in the Chicago timeframe, I would also suggest that they be redone after World Cup, and have the turnover be sometime in November or December. The college season ends in April, we have elections in May, and the new Directors and Officers go in in June. This keeps things continuous through the season, and if you do incorporate, allows you to have a fiscal year that doesn't turn over in the middle of a season. This will also give people a chance to reexamine the system after a few events and make any adjustments for next year and start out clean then. I don't think giving people time to "get to know" each other is really a big issue - half of our Board won't even meet each other until the end of the month, their 8th month in office.

If you're wondering how players decide who to vote on, the answer is the same way as in any other election: The people running campaign. Probably nothing serious, but you could certainly go around to teams and talk to them, and PSP could be gracious enough to allow candidates to submit little bios to put on a central web page off of the PSP site.

Hope those are some helpful suggestions. If you have any questions or comments, you can feel free to drop me an email at raehl311@yahoo.com. I'll be at the Chicago NPPL to check out the Ole Miss Rebels (yeah, yeah, they havn't won a game yet, but they're a college team and they play straight up ball so I like 'em) so if you want to corner me in person and tap my experience feel free. If you want to tell me I'm a worthless pissant, you can do that too, but don't expect me to stick around to listen. ;)

- Chris

2. TJ Lambini New Member

TJ Lambini
    Message Count:
    Gotta say

Seems to me like PSP are planning on playing it by tha book and kudos to them if they achieve what Jer has set out here; I'm interested to see what tha NPPL does next - I ain't seen any statements/board postings/anything yet, but I know Robo talked to Chuck H at Germany...

Baca - I musta sleep-typed that last post cos I have no recollections of doing it. I do that sometimes, especially over at www.blueoyster.com, orangeinthamouth.org and Xdressersunlimited.net...it's a bizarre condition analogous to what River Phoenix had in My Own Private Idaho, although thankfully it ain't accompanied by an insatiable desire to follow Keanu Reeves around like a lost puppy. Oh no.

I follow Jay Leno...

peace

3. Baca Loco Ex-Fun Police

Baca Loco
    Message Count:
    Was that you?

It must be all those long hours you're putting in moderating...
    You need to slow down. You know what happened to River Phoenix--he ended up with a chalk outline on Hollywood Blvd. (He was Dogstar's only groupie and he was hanging out with Christian Slater and Slater was a friend of... Sorry, got side-tracked for a sec. Let's just say it's all tied in to the stagnant Japanese economy. Nuf said)

Anyway, saw an item in Variety about an "unnamed fan" who caused some sort of ruckus at the NBC studios in Burbank recently. There was an unconfirmed partial quote that had the fan shouting something about chewing gum and bustin' out the shiznit. Say it wasn't you.

Moo

PS--his chin's not real. phoney as a starlet's rack.

4. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
    Oh leave ol' Tijuana lambini alone. He ain't stalking Jay Leno, he's too busy performing in his Twisted Sister cover band (anyone remember them?).:D

5. Baca Loco Ex-Fun Police

Baca Loco
    Message Count:
    Completely unsubstantiated

Can you say Dee Snider's love child?

Moo

6. Phat Rico New Member

Phat Rico
    Message Count:
    I smell a dead board

Whaz Zapening boyzz and girlzz. OK no more speeches or violent threads? This thread is apparently dead. Jerry, Pete, Baca, Justin, Tj, Budah, Tremis, Furby and other mischiefs........... SUP
    Hellowwwww Anyone home? Do I scent brain farting?

Hey Justin, I promise to spin your grill in practice in a couple of weeks :) Like you used to say,

Lot's Of Love.:D

LATEST NEWS, Marihuana EASES TURRET SYNDROME !

7. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
    *Sniff*

Well, I guess you're right Rico. She seems to have passed on, but she was the most awesome thread in recent history. I will fondly fondle...I mean remember her.
    Thanks to all who participated, and the big names for going public and taking all the sh*t that was thrown at them.

8. TJ Lambini New Member

TJ Lambini
    Message Count:
    Amen

and it's a Skid Row cover band.

and it IS a real chin - don't make me call down tha thunder by insulting the LenoMesiter.

and I wasn't bothering him, he WANTED to speak with me regarding the Grail...

peace

9. Justin Owen American BadAss

Justin Owen
    Message Count:
    Rico, my friend...

...it's
    LOTSA LOVE.
    :p
    ~J~

10. Furby Naughty Paintball God

Furby
    Message Count:
    Just chillin'...just so you guys know...since I'm going to be out of town this weekend and next week (going to watch my brother get married this weekend, then heading off to Norway next week to visit my fiancee` and meet her family) I'll be running a couple of "Best Of" shows...this sunday Bryan will post the interview that I did with Robbo back in August of 2000...