Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Jobs/Courses and Help

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
My apologies for thread-jacking, but reading this is very interesting and I'd like some people's opinions on my current situation...

I'm currently looking to start on an Apprenticeship in business and admin. I'm in sixth form and I have a part time job, but to be blunt I hate it at my sixth form and it's obviously going nowhere, hence the change in direction.

I'm on the national Apprenticeship vacancy database thingummy, I've applied for four different places so far, I just had an interview for a spot on the Procurement team with my local Borough Council, and I've got another interview next week with a letting agency called Martin and Co.

So the question is, the Council or the letting agency? The interview with the Council people didn't portray their spot in the best light, they did a shocking job of selling the position to me, they don't seem to understand who is in charge of what, and all in all the position looks like a dead end. On the other hand, Martin and Co are offering me over 50% more money a week, and may have a much more interesting proposal, but obviously I haven't seen them just yet, and I don't know if either place will accept me (This is mostly theoretical but I am confident with how I handle myself in an interview).

Cheers for any input ladies and gents. :)

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Dark warrior, Yeah but with a 17 year old with NO income at this moment , i couldnt gather that much for a month in such little time due to the job paying monthly, And i atteneded a 5 man tourni this time last year and a pump for funsys, But this year playing mills D2.

My plan whilst sipping on some fanta is, Finish my course, then do A-Levels for Media, History,Film studies/Graphics then attempt to go into full time employment, or a voluntary or apprentership whilst tearing it up on the field.
Is it me!!!!!!!!!
You are 17 with no income, so can't afford to go to a job/apprenticeship interview, yet you are going to play Millenniums this year @ Div 2 level
WTF!!!!!!!!!

Reality check - get your head out of cloud cuckoo land
If you have no money you can't train, if you don't train you don't play and that's in domestic tournaments and you think you are going to play Div 2 in the Millennium series, more chance of me being elected the leader of the KKK

chuckwood

Now back in Australia!
Aug 2, 2008
Adelaide, South Australia
My apologies for thread-jacking, but reading this is very interesting and I'd like some people's opinions on my current situation...

I'm currently looking to start on an Apprenticeship in business and admin. I'm in sixth form and I have a part time job, but to be blunt I hate it at my sixth form and it's obviously going nowhere, hence the change in direction.

I'm on the national Apprenticeship vacancy database thingummy, I've applied for four different places so far, I just had an interview for a spot on the Procurement team with my local Borough Council, and I've got another interview next week with a letting agency called Martin and Co.

So the question is, the Council or the letting agency? The interview with the Council people didn't portray their spot in the best light, they did a shocking job of selling the position to me, they don't seem to understand who is in charge of what, and all in all the position looks like a dead end. On the other hand, Martin and Co are offering me over 50% more money a week, and may have a much more interesting proposal, but obviously I haven't seen them just yet, and I don't know if either place will accept me (This is mostly theoretical but I am confident with how I handle myself in an interview).

Personally as a first job I would go with the council. They will train you and educate you at their expense and frankly look after you. There will be no perks but watch the letting industry as it is cut throat!

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
Personally as a first job I would go with the council. They will train you and educate you at their expense and frankly look after you. There will be no perks but watch the letting industry as it is cut throat!
Cheers...

News just in, they've accepted me... things are looking good. I'm going to do this interview with the Letting Agency next week, so hopefully if they accept me as well I will have the choice.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Robbo a arsenal Supporter :eek:, But seriously my handwritting is like a 4 year olds, and i practice it every day cause it would be so bad if i turned up to a interview with the handwritting i have now.

My plan whilst sipping on some fanta is, Finish my course, then do A-Levels for Media, History,Film studies/Graphics then attempt to go into full time employment, or a voluntary or apprentership whilst tearing it up on the field.
Me, an Arsenal supporter????
Eeeeekkkk!!! - go wash your mouth out with Hydrofluoric acid ....... anyway, firstly, your handwriting isn't as important as you think because a lot of job acquisition can be mediated with word processors and Spell-check and you must make full use of both, secondly, you MUST finish your A levels otherwise you get caught midstream with hundreds of others who present themselves at interviews or on job applications with a number of GCSE passes as the height of their academic achievement ...anything you can do to differentiate yourself from the pack comes in handy.
The higher up you go, the more you differentiate but .... there is also a point you can pass whereby [pun intended] the degree of achievement is somewhat academic.
Basically, you can spend soo much time in pursuit of that educational differential, when you get there, it just wasn't worth it in terms of what it affords you regarding job selection.
I am sure there are plenty of people out there now, who are hugely overqualified for the job they now do ... and personally, I think this is a real tragedy for all concerned.
But when to make the call regarding when to stop your academic calling?
Hmmmm. down to you really as there is no hard and fast rule relating to this because it's like shifting sands.
The luckiest people are those who have an aim in life, gear up to achieve that aim and then go do it ... these are otherwise known as 'happy people' .....

foster90

No Sacrifice, No Victory
Jun 3, 2008
Manchester
Well,

I left college half way through due to a re-booked holiday (cheers for the invention of hurricanes mother nature) and a car crash soon after, i missed nearly 2 months of college out and when i got back needed serious help. My tutors refused to help me catch up with my course work, i could catch up with classes but needed equipment for media and psychology, so i wouldnt have gotten a final grade as i had no course work. Bad times :(

However while i was in college i had a part time job at iceland working some evenings and saturdays, when i turned 18 i became a duty manager and in the last year and a half worked my bottom off and just last week got a supervisor position. So my advice is work work and work some more to what you want to achieve and you'll get there in the end. There were alot of people that stood in my way who were older and had more experience but because i kept cool during busy periods such as christmas and completed tasks day in day out i got noticed and now im telling people twice my age what to do :D

The pay is good and i work 1 sunday a month the rest is for paintball training and tournaments

But another thing to if your a promotional loving guy ask companys you buy from or a huge fan of and get spreading the word for them and who knows you might get noticed. My car for instance is covered in planet stickers and whenever people ask WTF is that about i tell them show them a few vids of the best sport in the world, and people recognise me wherever i go. mainly for looking like a bit of a tool :D

Foster

Attachments

You could always do what I did and join the RAF. I've never looked back. I'm only just 18 and I'm earning a wage most 20odd year olds would be proud of and I get to do plenty of paintball. Plus there's so much choice in trade. Have. Look into it mate. You never know you may find a trade which sounds like something you want to do. And if you Finnish your a levels I'd go for officer and earn three times what I earn and do three times less work ;)

Spike

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Essex, England
www.GIMILSIM.com

Procurement for the council will have it's perks. Especially when you work up to being a Buyer with a responsibility. Lots of long lunches (sorry business meetings) out with suppliers and of course the occasional brown envelope in back pocket job when you get into the higher echelons of local government.

Me I'm a self confessed work-a-holic. I did the apprenticeship route with Ford and qualified as a Control Specialst and Electrician. I continued my eductation after moving to Ford's agricultural division working up to obtain an HND in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and a BEng in Manufacturing & Engineering Systems. I moved to Electrical & Electronic Design Engineering and stayed there for 14 years until FIAT, who took over, decided to close the Design Centre I was based at. Overall I did 21 years at that company and lost of travel. I recommend the Ford Apprenticeship 100%.

I used to supplement my apprenticeship income by running a newsagents at the local bootsale which I started as an experiment. I continued this for ten years, eventually selling on the business as a going concern.

I also dabbled in local radio after winning tickets to a concert one year. This was low paid but fun and where I got my hand in promotions and I also started my mobile DJ business and my interest in Hypnosis. I qualified as a hypnotist sometime during that period.

Of course most of you know me for my involvement in Procaps. I was their European Team Coordinator for 5 years, handling Sponsorship, Promotions, European Warranty and the logistics / management that goes with all of that, whilst still working for FIAT designing Tractor systems!! This ended recently when they decided that they would with hold a substantial amount of expenses from me that they feel they didn't owe. This story continues but in the hands of my lawyers.

I am now doing freelance design work and playing COD a lot! But I'm enjoying it!

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Procurement for the council will have it's perks. Especially when you work up to being a Buyer with a responsibility. Lots of long lunches (sorry business meetings) out with suppliers and of course the occasional brown envelope in back pocket job when you get into the higher echelons of local government.

Me I'm a self confessed work-a-holic. I did the apprenticeship route with Ford and qualified as a Control Specialst and Electrician. I continued my eductation after moving to Ford's agricultural division working up to obtain an HND in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and a BEng in Manufacturing & Engineering Systems. I moved to Electrical & Electronic Design Engineering and stayed there for 14 years until FIAT, who took over, decided to close the Design Centre I was based at. Overall I did 21 years at that company and lost of travel. I recommend the Ford Apprenticeship 100%.

I used to supplement my apprenticeship income by running a newsagents at the local bootsale which I started as an experiment. I continued this for ten years, eventually selling on the business as a going concern.

I also dabbled in local radio after winning tickets to a concert one year. This was low paid but fun and where I got my hand in promotions and I also started my mobile DJ business and my interest in Hypnosis. I qualified as a hypnotist sometime during that period.

Of course most of you know me for my involvement in Procaps. I was their European Team Coordinator for 5 years, handling Sponsorship, Promotions, European Warranty and the logistics / management that goes with all of that, whilst still working for FIAT designing Tractor systems!! This ended recently when they decided that they would with hold a substantial amount of expenses from me that they feel they didn't owe. This story continues but in the hands of my lawyers.

I am now doing freelance design work and playing COD a lot! But I'm enjoying it!
Whatever dude, check out Foster90, he's got an Esticker on his bonnet.........

:);)