The Home Of European Paintball

Jobs/Courses and Help

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
lol - yup a full life for my 39 years but no way as cool as an E-sticker
Hah, indeed. XD

I've just done the interview with the letting agency. I'm confident I did well, and they're offering a distinctly larger amount of money, AND the interview was a lot more interesting. I'm still deeply suspicious of them however, and the council is waiting for my response...

Spike

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Essex, England
www.GIMILSIM.com
Hah, indeed. XD

I've just done the interview with the letting agency. I'm confident I did well, and they're offering a distinctly larger amount of money, AND the interview was a lot more interesting. I'm still deeply suspicious of them however, and the council is waiting for my response...
The letting market is quite big at the moment but you might find it's OTE - On target earnings so you have to get the sales to do it. Although not sure how that works fully in a letting agency.

Perhaps theres a way of trying out the letting agency or perhaps doing both to some degree. Letting agency at weekends??

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
The letting market is quite big at the moment but you might find it's OTE - On target earnings so you have to get the sales to do it. Although not sure how that works fully in a letting agency.

Perhaps theres a way of trying out the letting agency or perhaps doing both to some degree. Letting agency at weekends??
But at weekends, there goes my balling mate.

I ought to better explain the position. I'd be an administrator and a sort of PA for the head of facilities and training. The company is a franchise, and I'd be working in the head office (The franchisers). The person I'd be helping organises and runs training/inductions for the staff of the franchisees. Basically I wouldn't be doing any letting work of any description at all.

The Council spot is 9-5 weekdays, and the Letting Agency 8:30-5:30 (Eeeek!), I greatly doubt I will get the opportunity to try before I buy or combine the two...

crazy-lacey

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2007
lincolnshire
if your 16 and looking for a job, i would recommend lifeguarding. training is expensive but pay is good for a 16 year old. even if you only do casual work it can hep for job interviews being work experience or the responsibility required in the job. ( i made the course fee back within 4 shifts which was shadowing shifts too)

Spike

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Essex, England
www.GIMILSIM.com
But at weekends, there goes my balling mate.

I ought to better explain the position. I'd be an administrator and a sort of PA for the head of facilities and training. The company is a franchise, and I'd be working in the head office (The franchisers). The person I'd be helping organises and runs training/inductions for the staff of the franchisees. Basically I wouldn't be doing any letting work of any description at all.

The Council spot is 9-5 weekdays, and the Letting Agency 8:30-5:30 (Eeeek!), I greatly doubt I will get the opportunity to try before I buy or combine the two...
Well the fact that you'd be in the main office handling Franchisers - I would be inclined to give it a go, it could lead to more. On the other hand the pension perks etc when you reach 18 in the councils may well be worth considering. I think most councils still have a final salary pension, which is al but extinct everywhere else these days. I know you're only 16 but it is an important thing to think about - but you wont start paying until you're 18 anyway in most schemes.

Not working weekends bahh - youth of today - lol. I used to manage to work saturdays and then drive up to one of Bully's tournaments in the afternoon. Then again I used to start at 5.30 am and finish at 1pm on a saturday. Weekdays were 5.30 til around 6pm depending on what mood I was in.

Strangely now I work from home I tend to be getting up later than I used to - and I feel tired earlier at night - go figure???

Spike

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Essex, England
www.GIMILSIM.com
if your 16 and looking for a job, i would recommend lifeguarding. training is expensive but pay is good for a 16 year old. even if you only do casual work it can hep for job interviews being work experience or the responsibility required in the job. ( i made the course fee back within 4 shifts which was shadowing shifts too)
And you get to wear Speedo's!! good idea there though.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
well i'm en-route for doing 4 year law course at uni, 2 years post grad training, then i'm off to try and get as many murderers off the hook as i can :p. hey robbo i might even get jeff abbott off the hook once in a while lol!

NSKlad

Pistolas y Corazones
Dec 9, 2006
Bournemouth
Well the fact that you'd be in the main office handling Franchisers - I would be inclined to give it a go, it could lead to more. On the other hand the pension perks etc when you reach 18 in the councils may well be worth considering. I think most councils still have a final salary pension, which is al but extinct everywhere else these days. I know you're only 16 but it is an important thing to think about - but you wont start paying until you're 18 anyway in most schemes.

Not working weekends bahh - youth of today - lol. I used to manage to work saturdays and then drive up to one of Bully's tournaments in the afternoon. Then again I used to start at 5.30 am and finish at 1pm on a saturday. Weekdays were 5.30 til around 6pm depending on what mood I was in.

Strangely now I work from home I tend to be getting up later than I used to - and I feel tired earlier at night - go figure???
17 going 18 at the end of next month, mate. :)

As for working weekends, the way my current boss works things, he decides who works what shift the week before. I could be working any day, and to be honest I can't remember when I last had all of my weekend free. And those occasional 12-hour shifts are real killers....

Giggles at your sleep patterns. XD At least you're getting a good night's sleep, even if you are losing out on day-time hours?

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
If I was starting out on a career ladder, I'd be willing to work as much / many hours as possible (a la Spike). Paintball in comparison to your working life is an irrelevence! In my first job, I used to work 7-7 and often at the weekend too. Not too mention being on call 24hr's a day. Sure the work life balance sucked, but the worst thing ever is an 18-23 year old with an air of entitlement! The more you present yourself as willing to work hard, learn and try your best the more you will get on; regardless of career you choose.

Even if you struggle with some academic issues, a can do attitude and being willing to put yourself out for work go a long way with employers. Maybe a little luck helps, but for the most part (especially in your working life), you make your own luck.

Good on you NSKLad for getting interviews and thinking about jobs to start. Either position has it's pro's and con's but at least you will be getting valuable experience! Once you've got a job, the best thing you can do take ownership for tasks / issues and manage them to resolution. People whom have teflon like tendencies in the workplace very rarely get on. Even if financial reward is not your main working motivation, responsibility has it's own benefits.

Snax, I think you need to do some serious thinking on your priorities in life. Sure you might only be 16 or 17 but time flies, and decisions you make now will be with you for the rest of your life. You should also think very carefully with regard a career in media especially without a proper degree (i.e. English, not some Mickey Mouse subject). No matter what you want to do in life, I'd seriously advise people to always keep their higher education choices in the more traditional subjects; it gives you options unlike a First in Soap Opera Relationship Dynamics.

As for me, I got expelled from school when I was 17 so had to sit my A Levels at the local tech. I did alright (two A's and a C) in Economics, History and Politics. I went straight to work as a jnr clerk in the back office of an Investment bank but worked my nuts off. At 20 I was given my first team and was then more senior than any of the graduate intake. I did as much on the job and additional training as possible, lived in the US and Japan (and a brief spell in Moscow, mostly in the back of an armoured Mercedes) and am now taking over the Management of the banks Equity Markets & Derivatives trading business. I'm not a trader per se (so I don't make bonus's the size of Liberia's GDP), but for the role compensation is in the region of telephone numbers. There is no substitute for a hardwork, ever. The harder you work in the beginning, the easier it becomes later in life. I'm retiring from City life at 40 (4 more years), either to the golf course or to a French Cider farm I've got my eye on.