Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

JT D.I.Y. Thermal Lense 2.0

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Yeah, let's get back on topic...and correct me if I've got anything wrong here

1) You're using a 15 year old lens, that's been exposed to sunlight, water, paint etc. It's been through multiple wet/dry cycles and has now fallen apart
2) You're making a customised thermal replacement using non standard materials and (I assume) a glue that have not been approved by the manufacturer for use with their lenses.
3) Your reasoning for this is you like making things, your lens, (that you've now torn apart) is, in your expert opinion, still fine and besides companies just want you to buy replacements so what's wrong with that #conspiracy

Sorry, this isn't just misguided it's dangerously misguided...not just for you but for any kid that reads this and thinks this is a good idea to save some money. Clearly you don't seem to appreciate the issues regarding structural integrity of the plastics involved, how that totally fine lens (my arse it is BTW) will react to the glue you used to stick your mousemat to it, or indeed any of the chemical constituents of said mousemat that may leach into the lens when it gets damp/wet (plastic is really good at absorbing small quantities of chemicals, trust me on this).

I've looked at your build posts before and thought they were interesting and although not for me, quite ingenious, especially the box feeder.

Not this though, never this.

Lenses have recommended lifespans in ALL aspects of Health and Safety from paintball goggles to the lenses I used to use to protect my eyes in the chemical manufacturing laboratory I worked in; there's a point where the manufacturer cannot guarantee they'll do what they are intended for...these recommendations are for YOUR safety. Look, don't be a dingbat and risk your own health for the nonsense you've written above...and most of all don't write a guidebook on how others can risk their own safety.

What's next? Here's my guide for making a cheaper 4500psi bottle from spit, glue and fibreglass because you think that companies are ripping us off? Because if you think that's stupid, that's what (I think) most people here think of this thread!

Honestly, I hope the mods take this entire thread down as it's posted on p8ntballer and I wouldn't want anything to ever come back on here because of something this silly was found here. Go on Mods do the right thing!

Reactions: GRIMLOCK

GRIMLOCK

Jun 18, 2011
Entirely agree with the above, this thread is a joke and frankly saving £30 on a 15 YEAR OLD lense is a downright stupid risk to take...

Not to mention Spreading the guide of how to be a dingbat with a very important aspect of yourself is absolutely abhorrent to me....