Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Just a thought

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
imagine if all this negativity killed off the introduction of air, and we were still stuck with co2.

I can see the comments.

The pressure's too high,
what happens if it explodes,
my ears might explode from the hissing,
the fill time is too long,
we'll have to change our bottles

Now i wonder did we make the right decision to change to air.:mad:
If every person in the world played paintball, would there be any air left to breath at the weekends:p

Clompy

***fessional Bum
Feb 15, 2006
Back in Derby baby
Visit site
imagine if all this negativity killed off the introduction of air, and we were still stuck with co2.

I can see the comments.

The pressure's too high,

Obvoiusly you didn't stand next to Nige in the Freekz air filling station Tom:eek: That did scare the bejesus out of me, Still prefer air though (just hate to fill nowadays)

C

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Obvoiusly you didn't stand next to Nige in the Freekz air filling station Tom:eek: That did scare the bejesus out of me, Still prefer air though (just hate to fill nowadays)

C
i've seen worse:D

strange thing though, the only person killed by a paintball bottle was killed by a co2 bottle.:cool:

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
let's say it shoots more or less similar to the existing .68, and it marks more or less similar to the .68, and it breaks more or less similar to the .68...................

it's cheaper,
it's smaller,
it's less painfull
it uses less gas.

So you get more for your bucks,
so you can hold more paint in the hopper and pods,
so you have less bruises and it's less of a shock to the newbie,
so you get more shots from a gas tank.

Why is everyone so goddam negative:(

Tom, I think most peoples bias has come from the data tests that seemed to show .68's superiority in range and breaking. Now this said how many of these people have tried .50? I would guess none.

There is a flaw to the .50 cal and that was the use of the word "revolution" in advertising and many of the threads flying around. Now .50 is not new and wont revolutionise the industry to the point that only .50 is available.

Everyone should shoot this stuff and make their own judgement from that, bandwagons have a funny way of splitting groups of people into factions, remember the electro revolution? as far as i can tell all these years later people are still shooting mech guns.

Lets just see how this pans out, to be honest I hope .50 lives up to it's promise and brings another element of choice to the game. It will help site owners survive with larger profit margines, give the average player a choice and add something to tourney play ( more shots in a hopper may slow the game down but rules could be introduced to combat this)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Tom, I think most peoples bias has come from the data tests that seemed to show .68's superiority in range and breaking. Now this said how many of these people have tried .50? I would guess none.

There is a flaw to the .50 cal and that was the use of the word "revolution" in advertising and many of the threads flying around. Now .50 is not new and wont revolutionise the industry to the point that only .50 is available.

Everyone should shoot this stuff and make their own judgement from that, bandwagons have a funny way of splitting groups of people into factions, remember the electro revolution? as far as i can tell all these years later people are still shooting mech guns.

Lets just see how this pans out, to be honest I hope .50 lives up to it's promise and brings another element of choice to the game. It will help site owners survive with larger profit margines, give the average player a choice and add something to tourney play ( more shots in a hopper may slow the game down but rules could be introduced to combat this)
Good post, with some good points.

Given the first line of guns to be released into the "fiddy cal" market, I doubt it's aimed at tournament players anyway. If they want to embrace it, fine, but it's mostly aimed at rec play and sites. And really, do people honestly think that Joe Rental who plays once, maybe twice a year really notices the difference? I doubt it, with a capital DOUBT.

As for a revolution, let's not get stuck in semantics. You see the word revolution in pretty much every bit of advertising, so why would this be any different?

The benefit for sites is the long dollar investment. The more flourishing sites there are, the more Joe Tournament will eventually benefit as well, irrespective of whether he's shooting .68, .50 or 155mm howitzers.

philfull

Newcastle Lockdown
Jul 24, 2008
toon
it isn't just semantics Jay, The way revolution is used in this case brings the idea that .68 will be pushed aside and forgotten about and this is what has worried the masses. Anyone that has been in the spor for a long time has seen this before but many of the guys are new(er) ant this is the first big change they have seen in paintball.

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK

I can see the comments.

The pressure's too high,

Tom, with all respect the analogy with HPA isn't the best, as its introduction didn't render everyone's existing investment in markers obsolete, it was simply a case of (for me) unbolting my 3.5oz expansion tank and replacing it with a HPA reg & bottom line, nothing else need to be changed. HPA also offered massive, clear-cut benefits to the majority; no more issues with liquid making your gun go hot, no more massive cloudburst in cold weather and it was significantly easier and faster to fill.

At the time some of those questions were asked - many people were concerned about the higher pressures involved. Hands-on experience alleviated many of those concerns - and the same may happen with .50 cal.

While no-one is being forced to move to 50 cal, if someone does want to take advantage of the slightly lower paint cost they are forced to either replace their current marker (or possibly pay for it to be modified), replace their existing barrels and replace their loader.

That's a significant capital outlay in order to use a ball which is almost as good as .68, but not better. Consequently many people are underwhelmed.

Efficiency and smaller size are great.....but in the time I've been playing I've never run out of air in game and I've never run out of paint - so efficiency and ball carrying are, for me at least, not an issue. Others may find more benefits here.

Cheaper paint is obviously desirable, - but if it doesn't perform quite as well as .68, why would I use it? An Ion is almost as good as an Ego/DM/Angel, but you don't see many serious tourny players opting to go for the 'nearly' option, they'd rather spend four times as much and be sure they're shooting the 'best'. If .50 cal were half the price of .68, it might tempt more people to compromise on performance, however a £5 saving a box just doesn't make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Less pain is a great idea for rental players & newbies - but as a tournament player which would you rather shoot, something that people can ignore and that is more likely to bounce due to the lower amount of energy - or something which lets people know they've been hit and is more likely to break? Personally I'd rather stick to my 'pain' balls.

A number of other people have already made the comment that the main benefits are for rental players and sites, not for tournament or serious rec players. I'd agree with that.

Obviously all of the above comes with the caveat that I've not seen or used any .50 cal products and is based purely on 2nd hand information supplied by others. I'd love to proven wrong, but most of the evidence available to date (and the laws of physics) point to the smaller, lighter .50 balls having less range, less chance of breaking and being more affected by wind. Even if the differences are small, it's not the panacea that GiMilSim have painted it to be.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Tom, with all respect the analogy with HPA isn't the best, as its introduction didn't render everyone's existing investment in markers obsolete, it was simply a case of (for me) unbolting my 3.5oz expansion tank and replacing it with a HPA reg & bottom line, nothing else need to be changed..
Nothing else needed to be changed, did you forget the bottle/bottles.?

i'm fairly sure a drop in kit will be available for the majority of top end markers, and when replacing the hopper consider how fast you need it to feed, 30bps or 10bps.:)

I've run out of air and balls when playing, needless to say this depends on the type of game that's played.