Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Justice

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
oh sod it curiosity got the better of me.

Robbo,
what do you think should happen in the prison system? how would you run the prisons within the confines of the law that we are governed by now? how would rapists be treated etc?
instead of flaming anyone who has a different opinion why not offer your views on the subject? it would be an interesting read.
Butting in again, I know, sorry, but I wanted to answer this one too.

I don't think they should be treated any differently at all to the other inmates (my understanding is that they are currently segregated for their safety - which costs taxpayers money). I think they should be mixed with the other inmates for their entire stay. I feel that people walking around with smiley-faces carved into their chops are much easier to spot, and would act as a stronger deterrent against the crime (not that I think it's necessarily possible to successfully deter rapists, but at least they are not getting the 'protection' denied to their victims whilst in jail.)

probably not a popular position, but that's what I would like to see.

Reactions: Codiak and Biscuit

no-infernomark

I think therefore I am.
Sep 19, 2005
Kettering
this criminal justice system does have a 3 strike system, they get what is called an IPP sentence(Indeterminate Sentence for Public Protection) acts exactly like a life sentence, same criteria for release as is a life sentence.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
infermark i personally know plenty of guys that have been done for burglary on several occasions and are still walking the streets:mad: same with drug dealers etc etc
so tell me the the three strike system is employed here and i`ll tell you it isn`t

no-infernomark

I think therefore I am.
Sep 19, 2005
Kettering
infermark i personally know plenty of guys that have been done for burglary on several occasions and are still walking the streets:mad: same with drug dealers etc etc
so tell me the the three strike system is employed here and i`ll tell you it isn`t
as with all sentencing there are requirements needed to meet certain criteria before a IPP sentence is imposed. was it a dwelling burglary(home) a non dwelling burglary(industrial), was the home occupied, where the residents hurt, was the amount stolen in excess of x amount of money. This came into effect in 2008 and has been used widely throughout the criminal justice system. so although your friends might well have been thieves they might not have been sentenced when this was about or warrant such an extreme measure. if it was imposed on all crimes then we would have more lifers than non-lifers. if we imposed a 3 strike system on shoplifting does nicking a cold turkey or a crate of beer warrant a life sentence and the potential to serve until you die in prison? its all about boundaries and limits. so i will tell you it is in effect and will continue to be in effect.

with drug dealers, they get lengthy sentences anyway. a lot of the big dealers get 6+ years anyway so they haven't been in and out since the IPP sentence has been introduced.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
infermark maybe it should be zero tolerance
as you have just said is it this is it that.
does it matter it is a crime end of you get done the same

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
I don't personally think drug dealers and rapists belong in the same category. Drug dealers are a supply & demand criminal, if people don't do drugs, there's no need for dealers. Rapists are different, they're not trying to earn, or fulfil a role (like it or not, at least drug-dealers work for a living), they're just sicko's.

Reactions: Biscuit

no-infernomark

I think therefore I am.
Sep 19, 2005
Kettering
so speeding motorists who break speed limit 3 times get a life sentence, thats a crime.
parking on a double yellow lines?
stealing a gob stopper from the local shop?
fishing without a license?
placing a british stamp bearing the british monarch upside down?

if there was zero tolerance on all crime then even these crimes(some albeit silly) would warrant an IPP sentence if committed 3 times. this would cause more problems out of prison than in. just plain silly.

Smally85

Super5ives 2010 Champions
so speeding motorists who break speed limit 3 times get a life sentence, thats a crime.
parking on a double yellow lines?
stealing a gob stopper from the local shop?
fishing without a license?
placing a british stamp bearing the british monarch upside down?

if there was zero tolerance on all crime then even these crimes(some albeit silly) would warrant an IPP sentence if committed 3 times. this would cause more problems out of prison than in. just plain silly.
You'd have great job security though ;)