Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Killed my Geo 3.5?

digitalman

Apr 21, 2011
Uckfield East Sussex
I recently bough a Geo 3.5 and thought I would connect it to my Eportal to see if any updates were required. Everything was going fine, found 2.20 software, tried to upload it and greeted by an error message that unable to erase and now required reprogramming. Ok, came out of that screen and tried to see what parameters were loaded, again met with an error screen. Came out of that, switched off marker and removed eportal plug, tried to switch marker back on again and met with a red flash from the screen on the marker and noting else. Please help !!!!!

7lash

Planet R&D
First the good news, I don't think that you've killed your Geo. The flashing red backlight means that the bootloader (the program that transfers information back and forth) is still operational which means that you'll be able to re-program the board.

So that I can get an understanding of your setup, can you please answer the following questions -
1. What version of E-Portal are you using?
2. Is this a new installation of E-Portal or have you used this installation before?
3. What version of Windows are you using? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
4. Have you used your USB cable to program markers before? (Not all cables have all of the necessary connections, some can only charge devices)
5. Are your batteries good? Low batteries can cause programming problems.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: digitalman

digitalman

Apr 21, 2011
Uckfield East Sussex
Hi 7lash, home now and lots of answers.
Q1. Eportal V2.21 Build 2 Rev0, no updates found.
Q2. Last used to check updates for my Ego11, pretty sure it updated before I attached my Ego11
Q3. Windows 10, 64 bit
Q4. The USB cable is the one supplied with the Eportal kit
Q5. Brand new battery, showed full on battery tester and power gauge on marker display

7lash

Planet R&D
That all sounds good, that's the latest version of E-Portal 2.

Follow this procedure to re-program the board. The most important thing to remember is not to release the Power pushbutton once pressed or you will have to start again at step 4 -

1. Run E-Portal, navigate to the Firmware Programmer and load the required firmware into E-Portal.
2. Connect the USB cable to the Programming Adaptor Board and your PC.
3. Connect the Programming Adaptor Board to the marker circuit board.
4. Push and hold the Tournament Lock pushbutton on the marker circuit board. Do not release it.
5. Push and hold the Power pushbutton on the rear of the frame. Do not release it until the procedure is complete.
- The LCD backlight should flash red indicating that the bootloader is active on the marker circuit board.
- E-Portal should recognise the connected marker.
- The Lock pushbutton can now be released, although it's not necessary. Do not release the Power pushbutton.
6. Click the program button in E-Portal.
- E-Portal will display the programming status.
- The backlight will flash more quickly.
7. When the programming is complete you can release the Power pushbutton.
8. Disconnect the Programming Adaptor from the marker circuit board.
9. Power up the marker as normal.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Reactions: digitalman