The Home Of European Paintball

Latest Federation Meeting

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Federation Meeting No 3 Update

Hi Guys, as usual, here’s a heads up after our recent meeting of the federation.
I think it’s best to start by first of all acknowledging there has been a great start to this season; it is in stark contrast to recent years and certainly is cause for some encouragement.
But .. there are some who would try to diminish what the federation is doing and what we set out to do; it may do us all a favour if we take a quick time out to look at the federation’s goals.
But before I do, I just wanna state the obvious; the UK tournament scene was dying on its feet, all of us know this to be true!!!
That’s why myself and all other board members got involved; it’s no accident we are all sitting around the same table at the same time with the same mindset.
Nobody else was doing a damn thing about anything, please remember that.
Never before has this many UK industry figures sat down together to solve one problem, 20 of us in fact.
The bottom line is quite simple, it’s now or never!

That said, we now need to understand why our tournament scene was dying on its feet; the reason is quite clear-cut but maybe unpalatable for some, the product we were offering the tournament player was nowhere near good enough, if it was, we wouldn’t have witnessed such a decline ... this is a no-brainer.

With that in the bag, we knew we had to change the face of UK Paintball from the bottom up and as part of that process, the tournaments themselves had to become better products for the customer, you mob out there.
The only way we could ensure that happening was by having some degree of control over how these events were organised and ran; and of course, what standards and protocols were being used.
And to that end, we needed to affiliate these events and assign them Federation status.

This would then give us the necessary infrastructure to begin the change in tournament quality.
We could only effect this strategy if we had promoters who were willing to work with us under the federation’s new banner and run 6 events south, and 6 in the midlands.

This was our basic strategy; nobody was forced or coerced into doing anything, with both Chris and Wendy willingly accepting our offers; either person could have declined but thankfully they didn’t and thus we all began the federation’s new initiative.

As to the degree of influence the new initiative has had on tournament entry lists already? Well, the board and believe it’s significant; other people, and there are several, will try to diminish the positive effect the federation has had, but these are political eruptions rather than anything to with what really goes on.
For most people though, the board’s new initiative is both significant and gaining momentum.
However, our new board has its opponents, some opponents are spouting off because I am the chairman and they disapprove of me personally, well, one in particular that is; other people because they weren’t invited on the board ..... either way, they will masquerade their concerns as legitimate but they have no standing in the game (and never had) and so, we can effectively ignore them.

Anyway, let’s get back to business; both Chris and Wendy have hit the ground running and the industry has been good to its word and turned out at these events giving them a much needed validation and atmosphere.
Some of the industry figures such as Jon Payne and Jimmy Frensham, bought their teams along and so we had comprehensive support from our board members which is exactly what we knew we would need, along with any new and disenchanted teams, taking a leap of faith, and going along to these first two events .. a massive well done to everybody concerned.

As to what happened at the meeting?
Well, it was interesting and emotional to say the least but I think these meetings are like a rites of passage we have to go through, much like giving birth ... sometimes it gets kinda painful .... not that I know what giving birth is like but I was once told (by a woman who had 5 kids) it was like passing a pot roast through one of your nasal passages ...at which point, I realised that if I had been born female, I would have forever remained a virgin.
We firmed up our end of year tournament which is going to be a two-day affair and probably in early October; Jon Payne will oversee its organising with Chris and Wendy promoting it.

We will be looking at venues in the midlands area to make it easier for all UK ballers to get to and will obviously look for sites that have the necessary resources to hold an event that’s planned for something like 70 teams.
There are gonna be huge prizes at this event and I ain’t talking about huge cups, I am talking about prizes that are actually worth something, and worth competing for.

We have an awful lot to do in getting this off the ground and some stunning offers from Barry Fuggle and the Millennium guys have made our job a lot easier; and I think the level of support we have already got from our board members in trying to give you guys an extraordinary UK event, is outstanding.
I might be sounding a bit too enthusiastic about all these guys, and maybe I am, but I grew tired of criticising them all the time and wanted soooo much for them to co-operate with each other and help us all out ..... and now they are actually doing it.

Now most of these guys are mates of mine anyway and I spose I might be over-reacting but hey! - WTF, I don’t care, but I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and I’m optimistic for once.

I and other Federation members will now be regularly going to all these affiliated events under the Federation banner to see how well it's all going and hopefully we will be able to harvest some feedback from all you guys when we’re there.

By the way, when you guys are at these events, if you have any compliments, gifts and promises of money, then feel free to come up to me - but if you have any sort of grievance, moans, or feel violent in any way, then I suggest you immediately go and see Andy Piper; if you can't find him at the event, then DO NOT come up to me, just call me on '0800 FED' and I will be more than happy to grass his sorry ass up and tell you where he is hiding, probably in the food tent with Ledz, swallowing pizzas like Smarties.
The federation will also be running a competition on P8ntballer.com that has our members trying to design a new logo to be used as the federation’s brand logo.

It’s a real cheap ass way for us to get the job done but hey, all we are doing is keeping it in-house, well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.
Anyway, there will be a pretty cool prize for this, and I ain’t talking about a personally signed old issue of PGi from yours truly, no, ...the federation couldn’t actually afford that but I know the guys on the board will get together and come up with some sort of prize that is well worth the work involved in designing this logo.

Come to think of it, we had been stalling and stumbling over several ‘name’ possibilities for our federation until Jim Frensham finally had a great idea, he’s not just a pretty face ya know ..... hold on a minute here, Jim Frensham pretty?
I think I better just put the bong to one side .....

Anyway, Jimbo thought the federation was sooo good, that we should call it the ............wait for it.............. ‘The Federation’.......... Yep, that’s it, that’s what we called it.
And that makes its members ‘Feds’.......woooo hooo, I’ve always wanted to be a Fed, I can see it now, F E D in 2 feet high white letters written across the back of my black t shirt (scaled down to 2 cm for Jimmy of course).

And so, the logo will be looking for designs around that idea; the winner will be the one chosen by a majority of the board members and their decision is final...all monetary bribes to be Paypal’d to robbo@Aceville.com

And just to finish off, for the very few people who think the federation guys are in this for their own ends, the members are now creating a fund whereby we (even my poor broke ass has to donate into it) will be putting in a considerable sum of money each month to fund our organisation and also to create a prize fund for our end of year event.

I think this last meeting was probably our best meeting so far because we seemed to have fleshed out what we needed to, come to decisions on what we needed to and made the preparation necessary for what we needed to.
UK paintball is gradually getting there guys.

Bla Bla Bla

METHOD
Aug 2, 2005
Manchester La La La
Well i for one am very grateful for all the work you guys are doing to try and change UK ball for the better. It's easy to sit on the sidelines complaining about everything and everyone but you are actually putting your colllective time, money and effort in for the good of our sport, which can only benefit everyone in the long run.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Bla, I think it's patently obvious the couple of people who I am aware of who are actively working against us are devoid of any meaningful basis as to why the federation isn't for the betterment of UK Paintball.

The only possible complaint I can think of is that the board members could potentially abuse their position in terms of favouring their respective companies, and that includes me.
Mind you, if anybody can think of a way I can actually do it, then please PM me :rolleyes:
Of course it's a possibility but I can assure people of this...if any single member tried that sh!t, then the others would be all over them like a rash.
It just ain't gonna happen, these guys are set on doing it the right way by expanding their customer base by helping grow UK Paintball.

tiffyman

Allthingspb.com
Sep 6, 2008
bromley, london,england
www.allthingspb.com
this all sounds like amazing news for british paintball, well done to the feds for putting so much time in to us lot.

as i think most people will say it but thanks you guys, and i hpe that we will start to see british paintball back on the map soon :)

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
This, of course, is great news. I know I don't play any more (not that I ever really did) - but I have a 12-y-old son just starting out (with a few of his mates). It's good to see 'The Federation' working towards securing his future ability to play!

Just one quick question though (isn't there always?). Is there going to be an independent 'players representative' on the panel at all (a bit like the FA and the PFA)? I know and appreciate that you are all working towards helping the player - but I think that something like a PFA should be involved. That way the board aren't just seen as another paintball 'overlord' (as has happened in the past with other organisations) - but are seen as something the players themselves can get involved, and have a say in. I don't want this to go all 'trade union' of course - but it's nice to have that comfort factor.

Is it time for someone to organise the players side of this? If so, who? Obviously it has to be someone with NO ties to any particular tournament or company - as that would result in a conflict of interests. Maybe a nominee/vote system on here could be a place to start?

Anyway, that was more than 1 question - so I'll shut up now. Any constructive thoughts on the above though?

G

Gassy

Good point Raffles but

Tommy Pemberton fills that roll perfectly as player rep on the board.He is in the perfect postion to see it from both sides.

As Robbo has said there will be no promoting your own agenda or that of your company over the others so the fact Tommy works for Dye shouldn't matter.

Raffles

Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
That's the point mate - he works for Dye. Now we both know (as do others) that Tommy is a 'stand-up' guy - but not everyone knows him.

Yes, it has been stated that personal/company agendas will be stamped on - which is great (and I believe will happen). This doesn't, however, give the 'players' an independent voice.

To illustrate further - if a player has a problem/grievance with a board issue - then who does that player turn to? If said player went to Tommy (for example) and he raised the issue in a board meeting - would that not be seen as a Dye representative stirring things up? Also, Tommy is there to represent Dye - not the players. Isn't it unfair to ask/expect him (or anyone else) to do both roles?

Personally, I think that there should be a truly independent rep. on the board. Maybe I'm speaking out of turn or trying to run before we are even crawling? I still think it's something that needs to be addressed though.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
That's the point mate - he works for Dye. Now we both know (as do others) that Tommy is a 'stand-up' guy - but not everyone knows him.

Yes, it has been stated that personal/company agendas will be stamped on - which is great (and I believe will happen). This doesn't, however, give the 'players' an independent voice.

To illustrate further - if a player has a problem/grievance with a board issue - then who does that player turn to? If said player went to Tommy (for example) and he raised the issue in a board meeting - would that not be seen as a Dye representative stirring things up? Also, Tommy is there to represent Dye - not the players. Isn't it unfair to ask/expect him (or anyone else) to do both roles?

Personally, I think that there should be a truly independent rep. on the board. Maybe I'm speaking out of turn or trying to run before we are even crawling? I still think it's something that needs to be addressed though.
This is one of the problems we face in trying to insure we remain above board and immune from attack (no pun intended).

I think if we try to go too far in terms of covering our ass we are in danger of not utilising people like Tommy who fulfills many of the criteria for many of the inputs this board will need to be successful.

I think with the way we have approached the initial set up of the board, and of course the mandate we have in never using our positions to feather our own nest, then we won't go too far wrong.

In Tommy's case, I would tend to err on the side of having his input as player's rep if only to keep down the numbers we have at our meetings, we have about 20 at the moment.

I realise in doing that we may attract some criticism (I doubt that much though) but I think it may well be worth it in having Tommy's input in this area coz remember here, Tommy weren't born to be some boring ass board member, that kid was born to be a player, and one of Europe's finest players at that, he knows exactly what players want and I ain't just talking about pro players here, that kid knows what everybody wants and needs.

And the last thing I will add about Tommy is this, for those who know the kid, they will also know he's not a political animal, anything but, he's an honest lad with honest intentions and if anybody criticises him on this board as a player's rep then it says more about the person doing the criticising than it ever could about Tommy himself.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Realy nice to hear how its going, sounds like everyone there understands that putting differences aside will be the only way to in the long run get anything back from UK paintball.

On this note, sending you a PM Robbo.

Raffles

Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
Has anyone actually asked Tommy? I know he's all the things you said Robbo - and more besides - but the fact remains that he does work for Dye. Now this fact alone could be a problem for players (the non-independence bit). Hence my initial question.

Please note, I am merely playing Devil's advocate again - so don't shout at me too much ;).