Planet Eclipse Warped Sports Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Let's ban camoflauge!

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by Baca Loco, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Tyger Old School, New Tricks

Tyger
    Message Count:
    Nor did I accuse you of such, just making sure we're all on the same page as far as conversation goes. I don't want to be WAY out there when yo mean something else.

As far as patterns go, The Foxwood is similar to the SS pattern, however it shares similarities to the "Auscam" of the Australian military as well. Now if Renegade said flat out "Yes, we based the pattern on SS uniforms" then you'd have somehting to go to town on. Dots are dots, no matter how they're formed or by whom.

We also have a pattern commonly called "Duck camo", as it's good only for duck hunting usually. It's similar to woodland, but not really. Basing a camo on military patterns is not condoning the military actions, as we've said before. Keep in mind the VW bug was a german invention too, around the time of WW2 if I'm not mistaken.

Should I just get my Natgear and call it at that?

-Tyger

2. Gadget Platinum Member

Gadget
    Message Count:
    I can tell you categorically that Foxwood was an entirely new pattern.

Ivan and Tricky who owned Renegade both played for the Harlequins for years before moving to America. I can remember the team meeting where Ivan showed us samples of 'the new pattern we've created' called Foxwood - plus the inverse lighter version of the same pattern and their 'glo-cam' marshalling gear, using the same pattern with lary colours.

We were Renegade sponsored and the first team to wear that pattern - closely followed by Shades.

3. TJ 2 New Member

TJ 2
    Message Count:
    Seeing as no-one's biting about JD

I'll poke that hornets' nest with a stick again:

To all those who think camo harms Pball's image...which do you think does more harm, outsiders seeing people playing in camo, or outsiders hearing that one of the top Pro teams in our sport is called Joy Division?

4. Gadget Platinum Member

Gadget
    Message Count:
    Got no problem with the name myself - to me Joy Division means an indie group (Joy Division - New Order etc).

Although it does sound like the kind of name given gay bars in Amsterdam. ;)

5. TJ 2 New Member

TJ 2
    Message Count:
    But you know what tha name would mean to most people?

6. Gadget Platinum Member

Gadget
    Message Count:
    Erm, not wanting to appear stupid (which for me is tricky), I don't actually :(

I'm guessing from the context that its got some dodgy wartime meaning though?

EDIT: Once again the power of Google has rescued me from ignorance. Yes I can now see the name is slightly dubious.

7. Jones the Paint Magnet All the gear - no idea

Jones the Paint Magnet
    Message Count:
    Both Joy Division and New Order came in for criticism due to the origin of the names - although you can forgive JD because Ian Curtis was (a) brilliant and (b) one crayzee dancer :D

Going back to Crom Dubh's post (I think) - the rec scene attracts thousands. What better opportunity to educate people (many of whom are having their first exposure to paintball) about the different aspects of the sport. I know most offer hyperball fields but I don't think many offer sup air as standard. I do my bit - Crom does his - because we want people to stay in the sport, and for it to grow.

I hear that many people work very hard to promote tourney play which I don't doubt - but the rec scene also had to work hard in harsher economic and political climates too - and look at the following! I hope that all tourney players see the chance to act as ambassadors and don't just play their matches and go home.

8. TJ 2 New Member

TJ 2
    Message Count:
    I'm sure Buddha will correct me if

I'm slightly off-base, but if IIRC Joy Division was tha name given to women, (Jewish women and possibly others from occupied territories?) forced into prostitution in WWII to service the German army.

I.E. About as un-PC a name as you could get...

9. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
    Tyg,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did not mean to imply that you accused me of anything, I was just trying to make things a little more clear on where I stood to those people who joined this thread a little later.

Skaffen, come on. Foxwood is more than a little similar to the SS pattern. The fact that they went ''hey look at what we made'', doesn't mean it's not based on anything already in existence. I have an old set of the foxwood cammies from back in the days, and because I'm a collector of weird things, I also own an original oakleaf camo smock from back in those times (along with varioes helmets, including a rather smelly Russian tanker's helmet). The only difference is that the Renegade one has renegade written all over it, and the addition of black circles in the pattern. Plus what you say about the lighter version, that is a straight rip off from the jerries too. The original camo smocks were double sided, one side for spring, the other for summer fall. One was a little lighter, the other slightly darker. I'll dig up some pics, so you can see.
    For the record, I don't care if it's SS or not. It works. Camo is just a thing. It's colours on an object. It's, like so many inanimate things, complete impartial.

10. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
    TJ, you're right. In all honesty, I must admit that I had completely forgotten about that.
    Let's go beat up Magued, he ain't that big...:D