Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Looking for some advice

Dean B

SaD #57
Oct 24, 2013
Chester
I hope I'm posting in the right section if not mods feel free to move or delete.

I'm looking into starting to play competitively. This is something that I have not done before. My question is do you have to wear "paintball" knee pads or can you wear any as long as they are not excessively soft.

Reason I'm asking is I've had multiple knee injuries to my left knee although they don't affect me playing I want some knee pads to add that extra layer of protection over my playing pants. I bought some PE gen 2 pads but found them too uncomfortable to wear over my "bad" knee

If I'm unable to find suitable "paintball" pad would MTB pads be allowed I know most have hard knee caps instead of a soft foam which would guarantee a break if hit in the knee. I don't want to go out and buy some only to find they would not be allowed.

Thanks in advance

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
For walk on play, you can wear whatever works under/over your pants as long as it's safe and to manufacturers spec (not modified all crazy). For tournaments following the new wpbo rule set.
5.5.3. Players may wear one layer of shin and knee protection, provided that the padding has not been modified from the manufacturers' original form. Such protection may be worn over or under clothing

:)

Dean B

SaD #57
Oct 24, 2013
Chester
Thanks ,If I'm understanding this right MTB knee pads would be ok to wear as long as I don't do something crazy like adding spikes to them :p

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The knee pads referred to in the above 5.3.3 rule are for 'normal' protection

If you go more towards knee supports etc then the other rule 5.7.4 below
This gives you more scope for something appropriate to more care of your knees when you have a history of injury

5.7.4. Players may carry or wear items that are made necessary by a medical condition or to protect an existing injury, as long as such objects are not unnecessarily padded or absorbent. It is the player’s responsibility to bring the use of such items to the attention of the refereeing crew prior to play beginning in order to assure no calls are made by mistake

The rules have been standardized for 2016 so should be good for any tournament from now on. At the 'grass roots' there may be more leniency, but for recreational games such as walkons it's pretty much anything goes as long as you are safe and not being too ridiculous

With regard to the type of knee pads it's more practical to have pads below your clothing which keeps them in place when crawling etc
Think about how you plan to use them and how you will play - just for knealing, for crawling, or diving

Dean B

SaD #57
Oct 24, 2013
Chester
Sorry if my post was unclear when I said I wanted extra protection over my pants what I meant by that was in adition to my pants. I have contact zeros so I wanted some extra protection for my knee in addition to the pants padding. ill be wearing them under my pants i know many paintballers wear knee pads.I just wasnt sure if I could wear mtb pads instead of paintball ones as I have more choice available on those to find something I can wear. Also the hard knee caps on them would protect my knee from impacts better than soft foam ones found in paintball. I understand that paintball padding is soft foam so you can get the odd lucky bounce. I don't care about a lucky bounce if I were to get shot in my knee id rather have the protection and take being eliminated. Hope this clears up any confusion when I get home from work & wake up (I work nights) ill post some pics of the pads ive been looking then you guys would have a better idea if I could use them in tournaments.

***EDIT***

Here are the pads I've been looking at can you tel me if they would be ok for use in tournaments

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dainese-trail-skins-knee-guard-2016/rp-prod118469

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bliss-arg-minimalist-knee-pads/rp-prod128831

Last edited: